IGNORED

Last game of the season

Jerseybean

Just now, italian dave said:

I reckon Rotherham will be dead and buried by then. At the current rate, the game that relegates them will be about a month earlier! 

Yes exactly so in this scenario they will be relaxed and have nothing to play for. We've already lost at home this year to 2 bottom 4 clubs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Yes exactly so in this scenario they will be relaxed and have nothing to play for. We've already lost at home this year to 2 bottom 4 clubs.

We’ve actually lost at home to 4 of the bottom 7.. and still got 2 to play. We did smash Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 though after Barry Bannan was incorrectly sent off..

12 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Or, confidence shot and minds on where they’ll be next season?

Always impossible to predict how these things pan out.

The likelihood is that it will be a ‘nothing’ game for both sides, which probably won’t make for a great game! 

15 minutes ago, FNQ said:

We’ve actually lost at home to 4 of the bottom 7.. and still got 2 to play. We did smash Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 though after Barry Bannan was incorrectly sent off..

And away from home we’ve played 6 of those 7 and lost only one. (After a Sheff Wed player was incorrectly not sent off!).

As for some time now, we do better away from Ashton Gate.

Any connection with the all pervading negativity around here? 

17 hours ago, weepywall said:

If we were to relegate Stoke at their place last game of the season...let's just say I wouldn't expect Stoke fans to be shaking our hands after 😱

I remember when we could have relegated Birmingham at Ashton Gate. But usual City we rolled over and showed minimal fight. If Stoke need to beat us to stay up then would be guaranteed survival.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

And away from home we’ve played 6 of those 7 and lost only one. (After a Sheff Wed player was incorrectly not sent off!).

Fair enough we’ve certainly done better away from home against these no hopers… but an average of less than 1.5 points per away game against this lot seems to satisfy you a lot more than it does me. Do you recall the Huddersfield, Birmingham and QPR away games? Dearly me, and BTW thanks to Nige for the two away games against these bottom teams that we were able to win, and for the one at home for that matter.

Anyway, stay happy..

2 hours ago, italian dave said:

I don’t think so. There isn’t much atmosphere at the Gate either positive or negative except for games like Southampton where we are allowed to play and the crowd react to that. It’s the games like Millwall, QPR, Brum and the like where we miserably attempt to break teams down and are easily kept at arms length playing sideways and backwards that result in no atmosphere.

29 minutes ago, FNQ said:

Fair enough we’ve certainly done better away from home against these no hopers… but an average of less than 1.5 points per away game against this lot seems to satisfy you a lot more than it does me. Do you recall the Huddersfield, Birmingham and QPR away games? Dearly me, and BTW thanks to Nige for the two away games against these bottom teams that we were able to win, and for the one at home for that matter.

Anyway, stay happy..

I didn’t say I was satisfied: just making an observation.

And, yes, I do recall those games - I was at all three.

And if you think those Birmingham and Huddersfield games were “deary me” then you should have tried the previous two encounters at both grounds. Dreary deary deary me!!

I’ll stay happy, thanks. I’m not sure what the appropriate greeting in response should be. Stay miserable? Hope you find happiness one day? 😏😏😂😂

9 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I didn’t say I was satisfied: just making an observation.

And, yes, I do recall those games - I was at all three.

And if you think those Birmingham and Huddersfield games were “deary me” then you should have tried the previous two encounters at both grounds. Dreary deary deary me!!

I’ll stay happy, thanks. I’m not sure what the appropriate greeting in response should be. Stay miserable? Hope you find happiness one day? 😏😏😂😂

I misinterpreted your initial response as having a go for me being overly negative and you seemingly being quite content with things as they are… please accept my apologies.

Full respect to you too for making the effort and travelling to these games, just wish you hadn’t reminded me of the Birmingham game last season though.. although can only watch via RTV these days, that game in particular still sends shivers down my spine.

20 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I don’t think so. There isn’t much atmosphere at the Gate either positive or negative except for games like Southampton where we are allowed to play and the crowd react to that. It’s the games like Millwall, QPR, Brum and the like where we miserably attempt to break teams down and are easily kept at arms length playing sideways and backwards that result in no atmosphere.

But my point is that it’s not a recent thing. It’s been the case for a decade, through the last four managerial regimes. 

16 minutes ago, FNQ said:

I misinterpreted your initial response as having a go for me being overly negative and you seemingly being quite content with things as they are… please accept my apologies.

Full respect to you too for making the effort and travelling to these games, just wish you hadn’t reminded me of the Birmingham game last season though.. although can only watch via RTV these days, that game in particular still sends shivers down my spine.

Thanks, and my apologies too: I probably over-reacted. I’m just getting a little frustrated by the seemingly endless diet of ‘sack everyone’ on here at the moment!

Yes, that Birmingham game last season was the stuff of nightmares. And the Huddersfield one the season before was probably worse - and made worse again by a long drive home listening every one of R###s 7 goals to sneak promotion going in.

Thinking about it, maybe it’s more to do with Huddersfield and Birmingham than Manning, Pearson or Johnson! 

Edited by italian dave
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, italian dave said:

No.  All to do with how those teams set up at home as opposed to away.  We can’t breakdown teams who defend from the start and score from a breakout.  Tactics wrong

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Tbh had McCrorie scored instead of hitting the side netting perhaps we beat QPR.

Was the triple substition whereby things really unravelled for us..yeah we were already losing but shape, cohesion etc went backwards at a rate of knots thereafter. QPR 60 mins and radically the last 15 plus stoppage really revelled in space on the break.

3 hours ago, italian dave said:

Exactly. If we’d beaten them he’d have been gone 9-10 months earlier! That’s about the average managerial career at a single club in the Championship! As @ReadySteadyGo says, we did him a favour. 

Cotts assistant.

'Arry manager.

Spending spree, poor started.

Can't recall if sacked or walked but 'Arry out by late September/early October.

Cotts gets job, dunno caretaker or actual.

Cotts sacked a few months later.

Gave Cotts a few months at the helm of a Championship club.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

No.  All to do with how those teams set up at home as opposed to away.  We can’t breakdown teams who defend from the start and score from a breakout.  Tactics wrong

Yes agree - and my final sentence was a bit tongue in cheek as a deliberate reaction to everything on here at the moment.

It's not easy to deal with though, is it? We're not the only ones. Southampton v Millwall on Saturday being a case in point. And - my point above - it's not just this season. "Fortress Ashton Gate" seems like a distant memory.

Just now, Jerseybean said:

As it stands, with 1.29 points per game, we are on pace to finish with 59 points which was exactly our tally last term when we finished 14th.

Albeit at Manning's run rate a point of 2 less.

Remember of that we gained 21 Pts, 15 games under NP and then Fleming.

Manning and his run rate over a season is 55 points, 56 at most.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Albeit at Manning's run rate a point of 2 less.

Remember of that we gained 21 Pts, 15 games under NP and then Fleming.

Manning and his run rate over a season is 55 points, 56 at most.

This is how I see it @Mr Popodopolous - 53 to 55 points for me…..should be enough but will be regression, compared to last season.

Wonder how BT and JL will see that?!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

As it stands, with 1.29 points per game, we are on pace to finish with 59 points which was exactly our tally last term when we finished 14th.

Which isn’t close to being relegated. With the amount of clubs beneath us I’m very confident we’re not in a relegation fight.

I think it was the season before last we had a similar thread that carried on way into April. When the season finished it turned out we had enough points by late February to stay up.

Of course Stoke away is a very happy hunting ground recently, 5 wins on the trot is it? I’ve a feeling it will end this season with Stoke surviving and us making big gains on last season with a solid 13th place. 

4 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Which isn’t close to being relegated. With the amount of clubs beneath us I’m very confident we’re not in a relegation fight.

I think it was the season before last we had a similar thread that carried on way into April. When the season finished it turned out we had enough points by late February to stay up.

Of course Stoke away is a very happy hunting ground recently, 5 wins on the trot is it? I’ve a feeling it will end this season with Stoke surviving and us making big gains on last season with a solid 13th place. 

I just noticed that with Saturday’s results, Stoke slipped into bottom three!

Just now, Davefevs said:

I just noticed that with Saturday’s results, Stoke slipped into bottom three!

There are a lot of Stokies not happy with Schumacher and even some calling for the return of Pulis, which is pretty much what they always do when they’ve lost a few.

They certainly are in a relegation fight, they should get out of it but it might well go down to that last game of the season.

Haven’t made my mind up whether to go yet, it might be a game too edgy for me and my Stoke supporting wife. 

On 25/02/2024 at 16:13, Jerseybean said:

Last game of the season is away to Stoke City. A bit of a doomsday scenario, nevertheless, it could be that we need points from this game to avoid relegation.

With a dozen games of the season left we are nine points ahead of Stoke (who currently occupy 22nd place.) This is simply by virtue of our 12 wins opposed to their 9 wins (we have both drawn 8.)

Given our last couple of performances/results, against teams in the relegation zone, we just could get dragged into a survival fight and our final game could be crucial to both teams.

Just for added giggles we were, of course, 2 up against the Potters at Ashton Gate and lost 2-3.

As much chance as getting into the play-offs !

1 hour ago, Loosey Boy said:

This is how I see it @Mr Popodopolous - 53 to 55 points for me…..should be enough but will be regression, compared to last season.

Wonder how BT and JL will see that?!

I was hoping for 60-65, closer to 65 than 60 personally @Loosey Boy and perhaps espcislly as we had the 1.4, 40% win ratio from 15.

We also I seem to recall yes some opposition who came up and went down different, had 5 pts more from the equivalent 15 ie Birmingham Home, Swansea Away etc post 15.

That to me is progress. 55 points, even 56 would be a bit disappointing.

• Like 1