IGNORED

Rene Gilmartin

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Clearly a better coach than player.

Absolutely embarrassing that we ever signed him, peak waste of money era signing under LJ.

He did exactly what we was signed for, provide an extra keeper for training and then coach in the academy

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Announced by John O'Shea as Ireland's new goalkeeping coach. Which gives me a chance to re-share my Rene Gilmartin story.

IT WAS FUNNY AT THE TIME OK

The big takeaway here is that Will C on Twitter is YOU?!

You once called me a “tetchy ******”. Not that I’ve held onto that or anything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, The Journalist said:

Don’t get tetchy about it mate

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Journalist said:

Ha ha. You’ve outed yourself young William   
No doubt some of your haters will ask what the ‘C’ stands for!!?? 

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Wasn’t he rumoured to be on £8k a week?

Thought it was £4k?

Anyway despite some thinking it made sense, to me at a time when we had Bentley, O’Leary & Wollacott, it completely blocked the pathway of the latter & was a waste of money.

He was effectively deputy goalkeeping coach & 3rd choice keeper at best, pointless.

Someone mentioned Lewis Thomas, all I’d say there is our deputy keeper now (Bajic) is far less experienced than Max, who understudied Bentley so although I’m not sure I’d bother, there’s a bit more logic.

Edited by GrahamC

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Thought it was £4k?

Anyway despite some thinking it made sense, to me at a time when we had Bentley, O’Leary & Wollacott, it completely blocked the pathway of the latter & was a waste of money.

He was effectively deputy goalkeeping coach & 3rd choice keeper at best, pointless.

Someone mentioned Lewis Thomas, all I’d say there is our deputy keeper now (Bajic) is far less experienced than Max, who understudied Bentley so although I’m not sure I’d bother, there’s a bit more logic.

Still a lot init. Thomas will be on less than half of that I’d guess. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Thought it was £4k?

There was never an intention of him ever stepping on a pitch for us he was a training keeper who did some coaching as well, therefore there was no way he could block a pathway for us. Johnson always wanted 4 goalkeepers for every session, this often meant academy keepers being involved however this would often see them miss match days for 18’s/21’s just to be in sessions, which is more pointless hiring a keeper to fill that gap or stop your young keepers getting game time? 

26 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Still a lot init. Thomas will be on less than half of that I’d guess. 

My guess is it won’t be proportionally too different to what the rest of the wage bills were comparatively, it was just a case of where we as a club and football in general was at the time