IGNORED

Joe Williams - now we see it!

21 hours ago, petehinton said:

Spent most the game just shouting at players for his own errors. 

Anyone notice what his spat with Dickie was about at ft?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, I was a “soft as shite” Centre-half!

Seriously though, I’ve watched it back….yet.

I can confirm that Fevs is the most honest person I know.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

Played for Nige, dont play for Liam.

Wonder why.

Footballers are not idiots, and its their livelihood at stake.

Joe is a lot of things but one thing he is is honest, and a big character around the club.

Telling and worrying.

Exactly, so many fans are still saying how Pearson wasn't so great but Pearson had the qualities we need and are not easy to find.

He could work on a budget, he would try and test players until he found where they were best suited and could get the best out of their game. More than anything he formed relationships with the players, had their well being at the forefront and they respected him for it. 

As a player who would you prefer to play for? Pearson who wants to get you at your best and will adapt tactics to make it happen. A man who will be there for you and talk you up to the media when you've earned it but will always be fair in dressing you down. Or, Liam Manning, a man who will throw you under the bus so long as he's not getting thrown under it too. A man who will blast you to the media for being the reason his gameplan doesn't work and also reiterate how he's not willing to change his way of doing things? 

The players must hate this right now, they're getting the blame from the media, some fans and even their own manager when previously they had a man who brought people together and was very fair in his assessments. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just watched it.

Through blocking, pulling, etc, etc, he’s got Joe off balance so that he can’t jump / defend it.  I don’t think it’s him being weak per-se.

Its poor, and its cost us a goal but I see it as “shit happens”.  That’s sounds like I’m sitting on the fence, but I think as a collective it’s a bad goal.  We know the area they want to hit, can we block that better…at the expense of marking?

I’d also question why Williams was decided to be the best man to mark their (significantly taller) top scorer at a corner. 

Williams didn’t have a great game but more worryingly is the amount of moaning arguing, heads-down out there.  I counted those “behaviours” variously from: Dickie, Roberts, Williams, Sykes, Conway. 
It doesn’t appear a happy or fully committed camp. At best they are very confused about their roles. 

• Like 2

I don’t think the transfer window has helped. Things didnt seem to bad in Jan. Effectively we then signed 3/4 midfielders (TGH, Stokes, Bird, Twine), letting two arrive in the summer at the requests of their clubs. Given 3 of our current midfielders are out of contract in the summer (James, Williams, and King) coupled the apparent lack of contract talks,  the message to those three would seem clear. You are not wanted by the manager/club but are being used as we couldn’t persuade Derby and Aldershot to let us have them in Jan. Prior to February Williams and James was playing pretty well, our form as a team was not too bad and morale seemed good - from what you can tell through interviews, body language  on the pitch etc. It feels like that has gone.

There is the argument that they need to play well for a new contract here or elsewhere, but it must be hard to fully engage with a coach encouraging you, praising you one minute and then signing your replacements whilst you are still here. Would you still listen to them, buy into their messages to the same extent. Not easy for Manning either.  

Similarly, i am not sure the interviews with Manning and Tinnion making it clear in public that we were and are still after a new striker (but couldn’t find the ‘right one’ in January) as we don't have the ‘type’ for Manning’s game plan will be good for Conway and Wells morale. Even if we do need that type perhaps best to manage the message to the players better and not make public comments. Felt like these were to appease the fans rather than what is best for the players. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1