IGNORED

Matty James - Any truth

48 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

Decent player I thought

Squad player in a League One team that never got promoted, he played 39 games for us (only 21 starts) then joined Telford..

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Back on topic, club interview just released (see other thread) says that James is in full training and should be available Friday

So the appearance clause rumour was bollocks, then.

Plenty to criticise anyway without people making stuff up.

• Like 1

• Admin
4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

So the appearance clause rumour was bollocks, then.

Plenty to criticise anyway without people making stuff up.

I do agree, but until he's on the pitch I'd reserve judgement 

Have a look at the Trundle thread, he explains how he would get a bonus if he played 20 games, he never got past 19. Our hierarchy clearly have previous in this 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

Im sure that the bird signing is to bring him in to take the sitting ball playing midfielder role that james currently has. Perhaps him and tgh will share that role moving into the future.

Yes that makes . But Bird hasn't the leadership and game experience James has got. Bird with a mentor in In James works for me 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, phantom said:

Have a look at the Trundle thread, he explains how he would get a bonus if he played 20 games, he never got past 19. Our hierarchy clearly have previous in this 

Fair enough, though not sure I would believe too much Trundle says after he made up that crap about Styvar & wasn’t good enough at Championship level by the time we signed him.

9 hours ago, phantom said:

If ever there was a more over-rated player than Trundle...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Admin
3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Fair enough, though not sure I would believe too much Trundle says after he made up that crap about Styvar & wasn’t good enough at Championship level by the time we signed him.

Perhaps you should watch the interview

3 hours ago, SecretSam said:

That's a very random comment on a thread about Matty James

Give Matty James another 2 year deal which someone of his age and experience would demand and expect. He might not play every minute of every game, but he's class and experience is invaluable for the team.

I feel like City run the risk of losing him, should they prehaps only offer him a 1 year deal, and sure MJ could easily get offers of 2 years elsewhere. Maybe even Derby to replace Bird. 😁

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Henry said:

If it was a choice between resigning him or Williams, it would be him all day long.

Absolutely. Putting all the Manning debate aside surely we can all agree James is just outstanding and key to our midfield. He was superb again today. I’d be really disappointed to see him move on in the summer. 

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, One Team said:

Absolutely. Putting all the Manning debate aside surely we can all agree James is just outstanding and key to our midfield. He was superb again today. I’d be really disappointed to see him move on in the summer. 

Thinks he commands the midfield, seems to calm it down

• Like 1

I think we can file the claims that there was a trigger and also the claims that Jamo wouldn't stay under the category of 'jumping to wild conclusions'.

He seems to want to stay and hopefullythe powers that be will acquiesce.

Manning has given Matty extra responsibility and insight behind the scenes to help with future coaching. And as soon as he was fit he was in the side and doing a great job 👏

21 minutes ago, One Team said:

I remember a certain podcast saying once that Alex Scott aside our midfield was a “mass of mediocrity”.

Should have gone to Specsavers, Matty James is one of the classiest midfielders to play for us in the last 30 years.

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I remember a certain podcast saying once that Alex Scott aside our midfield was a “mass of mediocrity”.

Should have gone to Specsavers, Matty James is one of the classiest midfielders to play for us in the last 30 years.

He really is Graham. An incredible signing.

• Thanks 1

On 26/03/2024 at 07:39, SecretSam said:

I like MJ, but certainly don’t buy into the hype in this thread. 

Keeps the ball moving, granted. But I don’t see enough of him playing the incisive or “killer” pass.

Favours the safe option far too much for me (though you could argue that’s the tactics we set up with I suppose also). 

• Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

..........and we're letting him go ?

I don't know, are we? I wish I knew what was going on behind the scenes.

The stock answer from Matty James is he wants to stay and he's waiting for the club.

The stock answer from Manning is that we're not looking at contracts yet.

Anything else is guesswork.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

Keeps the ball moving, granted. But I don’t see enough of him playing the incisive or “killer” pass.

Favours the safe option far too much for me (though you could argue that’s the tactics we set up with I suppose also). 

His role in the team isn’t to be the one looking to make “the killer pass” thought, is it? 

If you’re unable to see what MJ role is and what he brings to the team I dunno what to say

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

28 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

What did you think of Wade Elliot ?
All he did was be available , get and pass the ball t a Red shirt and keep us moving.

It's not all about killer balls or Hollywood passes , the game is much more than that. 

• Like 6
  • Flames 3

32 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

All he did was be available , get and pass the ball t a Red shirt and keep us moving.

It's not all about killer balls or Hollywood passes , the game is much more than that. 

Yep Yes GIF by C H A R L Ö T T E

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Didn’t mind him. Played a pivotal role in the team of that era. Complemented our style at the time nicely.

Think we benefited massively from having him and Freeman though. Elliot deeper, keeping things ticking over. Freeman pushing forward running at defenders or playing that killer pass. 

Maybe that’s the issue now? We lack not the Elliot-type player (MJ) but the Freeman-type one.

Edited by OddBallJim

2 hours ago, RedEyez said:

His role in the team isn’t to be the one looking to make “the killer pass” thought, is it? 

If you’re unable to see what MJ role is and what he brings to the team I dunno what to say

I see his role and what he brings. It just doesn’t cause me to get overly fussed by it 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

Perhaps I have a tendency to favour the more advanced lying midfielder, for their creativity and ability to run at defenders.

Having said that, as deeper lying midfielders go the best I have seen at AG (in recent memory) in a red shirt is easily Paul Hartley. Such a shame we got him at the end of his career. But he was a prime example of someone who kept things ticking over and was capable of spreading the play and getting us in on goal.

• Facepalm 1

9 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

Didn’t mind him. Played a pivotal role in the team of that era. Complemented our style at the time nicely.

Think we benefited massively from having him and Freeman though. Elliot deeper, keeping things ticking over. Freeman pushing forward running at defenders or playing that killer pass. 

Maybe that’s the issue now? We lack not the Elliot-type player (MJ) but the Freeman-type one.

I think Manning is of the same view, which is why he brought Twine in. (Shame we couldn’t keep Scott longer of course).