IGNORED

Matty James - Any truth

22 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

I like MJ, but certainly don’t buy into the hype in this thread. 

Keeps the ball moving, granted. But I don’t see enough of him playing the incisive or “killer” pass.

Favours the safe option far too much for me (though you could argue that’s the tactics we set up with I suppose also). 

Killer passes are not his game . You’ve completely missed what he does. He knits us together he dictates games and our play goes through him . 

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Killer passes are not his game . You’ve completely missed what he does. He knits us together he dictates games and our play goes through him . 

Not at all. If you read my subsequent contributions to this thread you’ll see I’ve addressed that in a subsequent post. I cannot deny that it’s a valuable contribution to the team but it ultimately isn’t what gets me out of my seat and excited/entertained. So for me personally, I struggle to get overly enthused or wax lyrical about MJ. 

He’s a good player, and he’s undoubtedly valuable to the style of play we want to achieve. However, I hope Twine is the advanced midfielder we’ve been lacking, and that the combination of them both will get me out of my seat, excited. 

27 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

Not at all. If you read my subsequent contributions to this thread you’ll see I’ve addressed that in a subsequent post. I cannot deny that it’s a valuable contribution to the team but it ultimately isn’t what gets me out of my seat and excited/entertained. So for me personally, I struggle to get overly enthused or wax lyrical about MJ. 

He’s a good player, and he’s undoubtedly valuable to the style of play we want to achieve. However, I hope Twine is the advanced midfielder we’ve been lacking, and that the combination of them both will get me out of my seat, excited. 

I haven’t read past the post I responded to so apologies if it’s been covered. Every team needs a Matty James . You can’t have a Scott twine (who won’t be with us next season ) creating if you haven’t got a player like Matty . He’s not a defensive midfielder as such although I don’t like the modern fixation with pigeon holing players , especially midfielders . He moves players around . He’ll drag opposition players out of position by his subtle movement . He’s very good at finding space. It’s no coincidence we’re a poorer side when he’s not available & he’ll be a massive loss on & off the pitch next season . Players trust him . He’s a 7-8 out of ten every week . Take just 5 minutes of our next game to just watch him . I did against West Ham . He makes us tick 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

I haven’t read past the post I responded to so apologies if it’s been covered. Every team needs a Matty James . You can’t have a Scott twine (who won’t be with us next season ) creating if you haven’t got a player like Matty . He’s not a defensive midfielder as such although I don’t like the modern fixation with pigeon holing players , especially midfielders . He moves players around . He’ll drag opposition players out of position by his subtle movement . He’s very good at finding space. It’s no coincidence we’re a poorer side when he’s not available & he’ll be a massive loss on & off the pitch next season . Players trust him . He’s a 7-8 out of ten every week . Take just 5 minutes of our next game to just watch him . I did against West Ham . He makes us tick 

I think the one genuine question mark for me is to what extent Max Bird is being brought in to replace James' role in the team. (For clarity, I've not seen loads of Bird so they could be completely different players but, from what I've read and the little I've seen, I get the impression Bird plays a similarity role for Derby). If there is a genuine belief we're signing a younger player who is a genuine upgrade on James then I can see why the club might not extend the contract given he is a high earner. But that's the only possible argument I can see against given an extension given his value to the team. I don't even see James' age as a major concern - 32 is not that old for a a player who keeps himself in shape and James' game isn't based on lung-bursting athleticism in any case. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

On this point, I do agree.

If it was a choice of keeping MJ or JW, then it’s MJ for me (provided we go out and get that dynamic attacking midfielder to complement him - assuming Twine does not stay).

Just now, LondonBristolian said:

I think the one genuine question mark for me is to what extent Max Bird is being brought in to replace James' role in the team. (For clarity, I've not seen loads of Bird so they could be completely different players but, from what I've read and the little I've seen, I get the impression Bird plays a similarity role for Derby). If there is a genuine belief we're signing a younger player who is a genuine upgrade on James then I can see why the club might not extend the contract given he is a high earner. But that's the only possible argument I can see against given an extension given his value to the team. I don't even see James' age as a major concern - 32 is not that old for a a player who keeps himself in shape and James' game isn't based on lung-bursting athleticism in any case. 

Did play a similar role MJ.  Been playing further forward this season.

James, partly because of injuries hasn’t had a lot of game time in his legs.  I see nothing to suggest his physical levels are diminishing.

1 minute ago, OddBallJim said:

On this point, I do agree.

If it was a choice of keeping MJ or JW, then it’s MJ for me (provided we go out and get that dynamic attacking midfielder to complement him - assuming Twine does not stay).

He’s not staying imo . Burnley want £5m and he’s not worth that. Twine doesn’t play in central midfield though & it was refreshing to see knight next to Matty yesterday . Knight has the legs Matty hasn’t and I thought they complimented each other very well. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

James, partly because of injuries hasn’t had a lot of game time in his legs.  I see nothing to suggest his physical levels are diminishing.

Just about to post the same thing. Could do another 2 or three years at this level. Idiotic to move him on, unless he wants to go back oop North, of course.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I’ve never seen max bird play unless he was in the derby side that got relegated. Agree about James. He’s never had pace so he’s not going to lose any & if he has knight around him it’s not a problem . It might be a decision out of mannings hands , but If it was me I’d be on tinnion’s case daily about giving him a new contract. As a young & ( learning on the job coach) you need good experienced pros the help you . I really do fear for our championship status if we lose all our experience. They’re not the end of career feet up type players of the past . They’re top pros that are vital to the dressing room . 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

On 29/03/2024 at 20:21, OddBallJim said:

I like MJ, but certainly don’t buy into the hype in this thread. 

Keeps the ball moving, granted. But I don’t see enough of him playing the incisive or “killer” pass.

Favours the safe option far too much for me (though you could argue that’s the tactics we set up with I suppose also). 

Matty james is not in there for the incisive killer passes that's what the two behind the striker is for.... James is there to calm down the midfield get his foot on the ball keep possession by recycling the ball and dictate the tempo. When bird comes in I am hoping to see him drive with the ball and be on the end of quicker key passes into the forwards eg the 2 CAM players.

Edited by BCFC31

32 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I’ve never seen max bird play unless he was in the derby side that got relegated. Agree about James. He’s never had pace so he’s not going to lose any & if he has knight around him it’s not a problem . It might be a decision out of mannings hands , but If it was me I’d be on tinnion’s case daily about giving him a new contract. As a young & ( learning on the job coach) you need good experienced pros the help you . I really do fear for our championship status if we lose all our experience. They’re not the end of career feet up type players of the past . They’re top pros that are vital to the dressing room . 

Partnered Rooney in Derby’s midfield against us in 19/20, when we went 3-0 up, scraping a 3-2 win.  I couldn’t believe his maturity at 19, knowing how to split in midfield to drag us out of shape.

Can someone who has access to the piercy chap from the post please request he asks LM at the next presser whether he plans on keeping Matty James beyond this season considering how integral he is to how we play. If not , no worries. Cheers 

48 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Personally the way James plays he doesn’t need to be the fittest bloke in the club , very intelligent player who just knits things together , one of them players who makes room by standing still 

42 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Partnered Rooney in Derby’s midfield against us in 19/20, when we went 3-0 up, scraping a 3-2 win.  I couldn’t believe his maturity at 19, knowing how to split in midfield to drag us out of shape.

Big problem though Dave he’s bloody injured without even playing for us , been out a while now aswell , the curse before he even started 

• Hmmm 1

50 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Like others before him. Skuse and Cisse to name but two.

That’s probably because of the role but for me (& it’s a forum, so it’s an opinion) he’s far better than either of these or indeed Paul Hartley, who was only here for one season & looked like time was catching up with him towards the end of it.

The point made about Max Bird above is a good one, he’s certainly been brought in to replace one of James or Williams, we’ll find out who in May.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

That’s probably because of the role but for me (& it’s a forum, so it’s an opinion) he’s far better than either of these or indeed Paul Hartley, who was only here for one season & looked like time was catching up with him towards the end of it.

The point made about Max Bird above is a good one, he’s certainly been brought in to replace one of James or Williams, we’ll find out who in May.

Absolutely, MJ is a far better player than either in that role. it`s a shame many can`t see the important work he does at times.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, JP Hampton said:

I think James Piercy summed it up well when he said the time you suddenly realise how important MJ is, is when he’s not playing. 

Certainly not aiming at you, but if you watch the modern day era of football, and don’t understand what the role of players like Matty James and his ilk is, and their importance to the team, then you’re probably someone who thinks Kante or Makelele were rubbish too.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Certainly not aiming at you, but if you watch the modern day era of football, and don’t understand what the role of players like Matty James and his ilk is, and their importance to the team, then you’re probably someone who thinks Kante or Makelele were rubbish too.

It is also possible to appreciate what a deeper lying midfielder does without getting a massive hard on over it? 

At risk of using a Keane-ism here, but many of the roles/tasks MJ is picked for are ultimately “his job” I.e. that which is expected of a player in that position.

We are fortunate he is very good at executing them, and filling that role. But I maintain he isn’t the type of player, or rather operates in a position, that I can write an overly enthusiastic post about 🤷🏼‍♂️

Nothing to do with the pervading “modern era vs old school” football argument for me. And FWIW Kante and Makelele were class.

• Facepalm 1

21 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

20 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I'd like to see both Bird and James in the squad. Neither will play every game anyway, so let them share the role and let Bird learn from Jamo.