IGNORED

Matty James - Any truth

Was just looking through twitter and a thread where our friend Ian G was making an excuse for only having 7 subs. Said it was Manning sending messages to the board. However somebody on the thread said that Matty James is not injured and inferred that if he made 1 more appearance it would trigger a 1 year extension to his contract.

Anybody know if there is any truth in this ?

Sounds bollocks to me.

11 games left so if he doesn’t feature again then I’ll believe it, but seeing as Manning said on Thursday that James was a doubt for today but he hoped he’d be back possibly by Tuesday, I doubt it very much.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Sounds bollocks to me.

11 games left so if he doesn’t feature again then I’ll believe it, but seeing as Manning said on Thursday that James was a doubt for today but he hoped he’d be back possibly by Tuesday, I doubt it very much.

But he also said Twines injury was minor and will be fit in a couple of weeks.

8 minutes ago, CloudyThatchers said:

But he also said Twines injury was minor and will be fit in a couple of weeks.

He was then on the bench v QPR..

Look, we’ll find out if Matty James doesn’t feature for us again, I just don’t think that is likely.

Even if another appearance triggered an entitlement to a new contract I’m pretty damned sure Matty James would say ‘don’t worry guys, I’ll go and be a free agent, get a signing on fee and get the hell away from this car crash that you’ve created for yourselves’ 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 3

32 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Was just looking through twitter and a thread where our friend Ian G was making an excuse for only having 7 subs. Said it was Manning sending messages to the board. However somebody on the thread said that Matty James is not injured and inferred that if he made 1 more appearance it would trigger a 1 year extension to his contract.

Firstly, Manning is in no position to send messages to the board.  Just get on with it son!

It is possible that James contains such a clause, but it would be his to trigger, not automatic I’d suggest, just like Weimann’s.

But we’ll just have to wait and see.

33 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Sounds bollocks to me.

Yep, If there is anything like this going on then it's not something they can keep spinning from week to week as "hoping to have him back next game". You'd say he'll be out for a few weeks and then revisit it down the line.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

I am pretty reliably informed, that is not true. In any case, I would doubt he would want to stay at City with the current set-up. 

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

One more league start would seem an odd trigger.

It would be his 33rd league game.

38th overall game.

Not impossible, but odd for those numbers to be the trigger for a years option.

It might be if he starts 3/4 of all games in a season that triggers the clause.

19 minutes ago, 38MC said:

Even if another appearance triggered an entitlement to a new contract I’m pretty damned sure Matty James would say ‘don’t worry guys, I’ll go and be a free agent, get a signing on fee and get the hell away from this car crash that you’ve created for yourselves’ 

Absolutely. “Thanks but no thanks, I have seen what you did my old gaffer.”  And there are other clubs in this division who would pick him up for at least a season.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Ian g is talking utter horseshit again,

Why send a message when you can do absolutely nothing about it, if only we had some young player who's made appearances in the first team to sit on the bench........

Him & King gone is going to leave one ******* hell of a leadership vacuum. 

Who do the new signings look up to as inspiration? Naismith will arguably become our biggest player, never fit. Knight will become captain, but still very young. Wells?

Losing those two & Weimann in one window concerns me more than anything else tbh. 

Edited by petehinton
  • Like 9
  • Flames 1

36 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Him & King gone is going to leave one ******* hell of a leadership vacuum. 

Who do the new signings look up to as inspiration? Naismith will arguably become our biggest player, never fit. Knight will become captain, but still very young. Wells?

Losing those two & Weimann in one window concerns me more than anything else tbh. 

I’d argue Dickie is a leader as well. 

• Like 1

On 02/03/2024 at 17:02, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Off the back of wiemann,s comments about triggering a contract clause with us I would say your source is bang on.

On 02/03/2024 at 17:07, GrahamC said:

Sounds bollocks to me.

See wiemann,s recent comments

Proof of the pudding will be the pre-match press interviews later this week.

Is he still in a protective boot having been told he should be back for Leicester? (18th March)

image.thumb.png.12d840f907510d82dd3d96c9d2eb7dd2.png

I understand the need not to give tactical advantage away, but if it is a genuine contract issue, just tell us.

Edited by Davefevs

53 minutes ago, Mark barton said:

Off the back of wiemann,s comments about triggering a contract clause with us I would say your source is bang on.

I imagine there's lots of small print in deals, both with players directly and transfers with other clubs. 

Famous one of course was when we signed Robin Hulbert from Swindon. Good player that never played for them after a while, turns out there was an agreement in place where Swindon would pay Everton every number of games and 1 more would blow their budget so eventually they sold to us on the cheap. 

Not saying every agreement has it but unless we have the contract in front of us, we won't know for certain. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Famous one of course was when we signed Robin Hulbert from Swindon. Good player that never played for them after a while, turns out there was an agreement in place where Swindon would pay Everton every number of games and 1 more would blow their budget so eventually they sold to us on the cheap.

There's a name that rarely crops up. He wasn't particularly good was he? IIRC his nickname was "Chicken" (not sure why) 

Robin Hulbert - Wikipedia

13 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

There's a name that rarely crops up. He wasn't particularly good was he? IIRC his nickname was "Chicken" (not sure why) 

Robin Hulbert - Wikipedia

I thought he was a decent player, for both us and Swindon. Just very injury prone. But maybe that's just my nostalgia showing. He would have played for us in what is now league 1. 

• Like 2