IGNORED

What If We beat Ipswich Convincingly? Forum Confusion?

26 minutes ago, Selred said:

We will win 1-0. It's what Bristol City do.

If (an absolutely enormous “if” that is so large it can be seen from space!) we win tomorrow, I can guarantee it won’t be because we will have been playing “Manningball”!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

If (an absolutely enormous “if” that is so large it can be seen from space!) we win tomorrow, I can guarantee it won’t be because we will have been playing “Manningball”!

The players are not stupid, they understand more then we give them credit for, the instructions really do go in, honest:

• Haha 3

If we win tomorrow, it’s an anecdote not data.

It should change nothing.

If it’s the start of a sustained turnaround with good game management, square pegs in square holes, Anis Mehmeti left somewhere on the M4 and the game played to our strengths then that’s a different matter.

But in isolation, it changes nothing.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

The thing is we are playing a team who believe their best beats our best. So will care about us a lot less.

Thus we'll have more chances to press, and HOPEFULLY less time to play slow fake control football. We win these types of games because they can sometimes allow us to show our best version, nicking the ball on the counter at pace, not the version we (management) want.

It is a free hit which can ease the pressure on the weekend. But city winning tonight wouldn't be luck.

Edited by The turtle

Whilst it's highly unlikely to not win anymore games, the chances of beating Ipswich are remote. 

We've taken 8 points from a possible 30 in the last ten games.

Whilst they've taken 21.

If it wasn't for Rotherham we'd sit bottom of the form guide over 10 game segments. 

Relegation form. 

https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/competition:championship/form/matches:10/type:home-and-away/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Flames 1

I think you need to see a win achieved through change. A win through bloody minded stubbornness would suggest a win through fortune.

But if we see something different tried tomorrow, and that something delivers a positive outcome (and I'd actually class a draw away to Ipswich as positive) then that would be encouraging.

I am reminded of the time in late 2022 when Pearson was persisting with a back 3. A significant number of fans were at that time fed up with him and wanted him out. IIRC we even had talk of a protest and even, most shocking of all, an OTIB poll where a majority wanted him sacked. However he eventually relented, changed to a back 4, and we went on a good run in January and February 2023.

I do believe that this can be turned around, but it will require the flexibility of approach that has been missing.

Edit. I see @Silvio Dante has posted something similar above.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1

If we beat Ipswich it will no doubt be the result of a game in which Ipswich dominate and have the majority of possession, and when we win the ball we counter attack into the space they leave.

This will do nothing else than tell us what we already know, this is a decent team when allowed to play to its strengths. However, it is an absolutely desperate team when it has the majority of possession and is instructed to use that possession to do nothing more than pass the ball around the backline at walking pace.

In all of Manning’s wins City have had less than 50% possession. This is no coincidence.

Edited by bearded_red
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

It will be precisely because on manningball, we have done ok against better passing sides, cause manning knows how to set us up to play against those sides…. Its the likes of cardiff qpr and sheff weds that he hasnt got a clue.

14 minutes ago, cellist said:

My lipreading in German isn't up to much, but I believe he's saying "you guys haven't been showing the right behaviours"

I think he's saying that they should invade Poland.

The table doesn’t lie. When he arrived to take over a squad which was ‘underperforming under the previous regime’ we were 4 points off the playoff’s. A win tomorrow eases concerns about relegation for the current season.
Not sure that people should really see that as a ‘good’ outcome. 
So sorry but for me a win tomorrow would just be incredible thin paper over enormous cracks which are widening by the game. 
The question that needs to be asked is does the current club management at all levels have the knowledge, skill and motivational ability to recruit wisely across the summer, get a team playing well and guide it into the top 6 next season? Nothing I have seen so far suggests it does. In fact I have to say if the management does not change the only way I see City out of the championship is through the trapdoor. Oh how I would love to be proved wrong!

• Like 1

The game at Plymouth on Saturday was quite pedestrian during the entire first half.     It were almost like both clubs were still at League One level rather than meeting at a higher division.     We were largely poor and ineffective and looked nothing like a team going for promotion to the premier league.    In the end we were value for the win based on evidence of the second 45 but point being we sometimes, or often, only perform during one half rather than  the other.     If City are going to win tomorrow that's where you can take advantage or capitalise, it's an area of the game where we can be got at or vulnerable to opposition teams.     It doesn't happen always, but often enough.

It's too bad from a Robins perspective you're not playing us 5 or 6 weeks back as then we were playing nowhere like we can and dropping points often.   Some were even questioning McKenna's leadership credentials or choice of manager but lo and behold we've turned it around last few weeks and back on course for something outstanding.    Fans and results can be fickle but there you have it.

Thing is with us although we're doing great again the potential is there to really put opposition teams to the sword by way of scoring goals but the manager ALWAYS picks one forward attacker where I could for instance include 2 or 3 others and the rewards could really work for us.    I mean we could play Moore, Jackson, Sarmiento / Al Hamadi going directly forward and see where it takes us but McKenna just wouldn't entertain it.

The potential is there to do greater damage than we can or have but with Chaplin not utilised in midfield (he's a forward by rights) and others like Hirst and Broadhead afflicted by injury so they can't be involved right now we have to go with what we have.     To cut a long story short there's no guarantees in this game, results and predictions are always subject to change so there's no reason why Bristol City can't take something from the trip tomorrow.     Just remember two words - Maidstone United.       All things are possible on the day.  

15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Indeed, @Capman

4 off the playoffs and 10 above the drop when Manning joined.

Screenshot_20240304-150951_Chrome.thumb.jpg.97a997ed180e69777e38eda75890d0c2.jpg

Now we have 'progressed' to the below..

Screenshot_20240304-151110_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f4572d224dce2db69300cdcf611140cc.jpg

I see this quite a bit, implying we've moved further away - but I always think that to remain 4 points off the playoffs that means we'd have to be keeping pace with the team who are 6th. That'd be an improvement on before.

In fact after 15 games we were 4 points off, after 30 or so we're 8, now we're 12... that's roughly the same pace as before (a bit worse). The issue is we're not now 20 points off the drop (having been 10 before)... the teams at the bottom are picking up points at a greater rate than we are.

Using absolute points over time is a bit unfair I think... not saying we aren't a bit crap, we are, but just a comment really.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, IAmNick said:

I see this quite a bit, implying we've moved further away - but I always think that to remain 4 points off the playoffs that means we'd have to be keeping pace with the team who are 6th. That'd be an improvement on before.

In fact after 15 games we were 4 points off, after 30 or so we're 8, now we're 12... that's roughly the same pace as before (a bit worse). The issue is we're not now 20 points off the drop (having been 10 before)... the teams at the bottom are picking up points at a greater rate than we are.

Using absolute points over time is a bit unfair I think... not saying we aren't a bit crap, we are, but just a comment really.

Are we crap or not? This is all getting terribly confusing now ...

10 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

1.4 PPG and 40% win ratio was broadly my hope. To maintain the level.

I wouldn't have expected top 6, or even to remain within 4 points of the top 6 but to maintain the level gives us 5 more points and or 2 more wins.

10th, 11th something like. All but safe.

Conversely had we had tbis over a season..10 or 11 wins by now and 40 pts. We'd be slipping and sliding into the mire..we aren't yet. We're on our way but we aren't there yet.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1