IGNORED

What's happened to wingers.

What has happened to wingers in the Prem and Championship.

They get the ball and if the fullback is within 10 yards they play inside or backwards. A good winger, if he is not tackled before getting the ball under control should be able to take on and beat his man 40% of the time when he only has 1 marker. Even if he gets a throw further up the pitch it's OK. 

A lot of the excitement used to come from these unpredictable tricksters.

It seems now that is totally coached out of them and unless they get the ball with 25 yards of space in front of them they play it safe.

The best way to disrupt a well organised defence is to beat 1 player and run at the defence.

One thing of beauty was to watch Alex Scott receive the ball under pressure and simple breeze past his marker. How many free kicks did we get and chances came about due to the chaos it caused. 

I just find our style of play so b***dy boring.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

They get the ball and if the fullback is within 10 yards they play inside or backwards. A good winger, if he is not tackled before getting the ball under control should be able to take on and beat his man 40% of the time when he only has 1 marker. Even if he gets a throw further up the pitch it's OK. 

It seems now that is totally coached out of them and unless they get the ball with 25 yards of space in front of them they play it safe.

The best way to disrupt a well organised defence is to beat 1 player and run at the defence.

One thing of beauty was to watch Alex Scott receive the ball under pressure and simple breeze past his marker. How many free kicks did we get and chances came about due to the chaos it caused. 

Pep doesn't use them, therefore it's now obsolete to use them ever again

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

6 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Stats happened, someone somewhere down the line pointed out the a left footer playing on the right cutting inside creates better chances cutting inside than a traditional winger going on the outside! Can’t remember the article I seen it in though! 

19 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

The use of wingers has been in decline for decades. The game evolving away from 4-4-2 v 4-4-2 made wing play less effective. Midfield has become more about numerical superiority, meaning wingers will be far less likely to face up 1v1 versus an isolated opponent when the opposition has 3/4 screening midfielders. Having a winger will frequently mean your team will be outnumbered centrally, the opposite of what many teams want. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, IdliketoRogerMoore said:

Stats happened, someone somewhere down the line pointed out the a left footer playing on the right cutting inside creates better chances cutting inside than a traditional winger going on the outside! Can’t remember the article I seen it in though! 

Bayern Munich happened and inverting Robben and Ribery - Right footer on the left attacks a right footed defender weaker defending foot creating space more easily for shots, and making the target bigger. Inversion also can create improved passing patterns as passing inside off the dominant foot becomes frequently easier. 

I think they've just evolved a bit?

Now lots of teams will instead try and draw the opposition to one side of the pitch and then quickly switch play leaving a "winger" with an isolated player in front of him.

There's not so much running down the line trying to beat the player head on I guess.

Probably a victim of greater understanding of the game/stats too. I think your 40% is very generous, and then add on the poor chance of scoring from crosses and it's not seen as productive in a very statistically focused game at the moment.

It'll come back though, hopefully - at some point the current popular style will go into decline.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, IdliketoRogerMoore said:

When that left footer is Phil Foden I agree.

43 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Where do you get 40% from?  I would suggest that it’s this that drives the action and that the actual percentage is far lower 

• Like 2

Wingers aside, one thing we’ve been desperately missing since Scott left is a player who can dribble with the ball and take it past opponents. Mehmeti maybe, but he is so inconsistent. We try to pass around teams instead (with our players very static, but that’s another story) and no-one goes on a run with the ball to draw the opposition and create space for others. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I used to love watching Dave Smith fly down the wing and send over a cross for Bob Taylor or Nicky Morgan to head home

Please can we bring this back. Clive Whitehead used to be equally entertaining. Old football was so much more fun than this new style crap. There again, probably just that I'm an old git, set in his ways.

• Like 4

Whilst he lost confidence towards the end of his time here and was shunted off to Blackpool, Junior Bent on his day could absolutely terrify opposition defenders. I seem to remember that he had some phenomenal sprint time.

Maybe I just saw him in his best games, or people mainly remember his loss of form towards the end, but he rarely merits a mention here.

Coaching up at Preston's academy these days.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_Bent

7 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Please can we bring this back. Clive Whitehead used to be equally entertaining. Old football was so much more fun than this new style crap. There again, probably just that I'm an old git, set in his ways.

Maybe we’re old and looking through slightly tinted glasses but before all the money and hype of the premier league it all felt a bit more genuine and the football was less sterile and natural.

• Like 2

Just now, Roger Red Hat said:

Fantastic footballer. I think there's a lot of players comfortable/good with the ball at their feet, its just that they aren't necessarily used as 'wingers' anymore.

The best compliment I can give Foden is that KDB actively now looks to pass the ball to HIM whereas it used to be the other way round. He has moved forwards big time but Southgate will probably find a space on the bench for him in the Summer............ There isn't a major club in Europe that wouldn't snap Man City's hand off if they could get Foden.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Fantastic footballer. I think there's a lot of players comfortable/good with the ball at their feet, its just that they aren't necessarily used as 'wingers' anymore.

I was only thinking last night , if you could only watch the performance of one current player every week , only one , who would you go with

For me , and has been for some time,  it’s Foden

Very rarely has the phrase ‘The Beautiful game’ been so more apt

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The best compliment I can give Foden is that KDB actively now looks to pass the ball to HIM whereas it used to be the other way round. He has moved forwards big time but Southgate will probably find a space on the bench for him in the Summer............ There isn't a major club in Europe that wouldn't snap Man City's hand off if they could get Foden.

A front four of Foden, Kane, Saka and Bellingham, backed up by Ollie Watkins is something special! whether Gareth gets the best out of them, who knows?

1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

I was only thinking last night , if you could only watch the performance of one current player every week , only one , who would you go with

For me , and has been for some time,  it’s Foden

Very rarely has the phrase ‘The Beautiful game’ been so more apt

It makes Man City unplayable because no system can mark TWO players of that ability out of the game. I said before half time yesterday when they were still 1-0 down that KDB and Foden were starting to boss that game and that it was only a matter of time. Second half Man Utd couldn't deal with it. In fact if it wasn't for Onana that would have been a hammering yesterday.

Foden has moved from very good to top player over the last few months. Pep has managed him superbly.

4 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

A front four of Foden, Kane, Saka and Bellingham, backed up by Ollie Watkins is something special! whether Gareth gets the best out of them, who knows?

A lot of other countries managers would make that work, that's for sure.

• Like 1

Just now, Numero Uno said:

It makes Man City unplayable because no system can mark TWO players of that ability out of the game. I said before half time yesterday when they were still 1-0 down that KDB and Foden were starting to boss that game and that it was only a matter of time. Second half Man Utd couldn't deal with it. In fact if it wasn't for Onana that would have been a hammering yesterday.

Foden has moved from very good to top player over the last few months. Pep has managed him superbly.

Has ridiculous qualities Numero

Quite bizarre and ridiculous balance , ability to change direction and glide with the ball 

Possibly as a consistent outrageously good first touch as I’ve ever seen

Very intelligent footballer

Good Finisher from inside or outside the box , either foot and even the odd header

Unselfish

Works his a**e off , going both ways , pretty brave for a slight lad

absolutely mesmerising to watch 

Seems a good lad and does it all with a big smile on his face 

I quite like him 🤣

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I used to love watching Dave Smith fly down the wing and send over a cross for Bob Taylor or Nicky Morgan to head home

Dave Smith and Mark Gavin gave me some of my earliest City memories. Proper old school wingers.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

Dave Smith and Mark Gavin gave me some of my earliest City memories. Proper old school wingers.

Funnily enough, I wanted to bring them up on SOTC tonight re City’s way of playing over the years.  At times, especially that team, we did play great football.  But the question didn’t come to me, so didn’t get the chance.

Probably my favourite team.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Has ridiculous qualities Numero

Quite bizarre and ridiculous balance , ability to change direction and glide with the ball 

Possibly as a consistent outrageously good first touch as I’ve ever seen

Very intelligent footballer

Good Finisher from inside or outside the box , either foot and even the odd header

Unselfish

Works his a**e off , going both ways , pretty brave for a slight lad

absolutely mesmerising to watch 

Seems a good lad and does it all with a big smile on his face 

I quite like him 🤣

Really like Foden but what shocked me when he played against us was how fast he was. Knew he was quick but not as fast as he was that night. 

Edited by RedorDead BCFC
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Funnily enough, I wanted to bring them up on SOTC tonight re City’s way of playing over the years.  At times, especially that team, we did play great football.  But the question didn’t come to me, so didn’t get the chance.

Probably my favourite team.

Spooky ,

Absolutely true - as the discussion came to creating in the final third - I nearly texted you to say

’Chris’s 89/90 squad didn’t find that an issue’ !! 

• Like 1