IGNORED

What's happened to wingers.

20 hours ago, IAmNick said:

I think they've just evolved a bit?

Now lots of teams will instead try and draw the opposition to one side of the pitch and then quickly switch play leaving a "winger" with an isolated player in front of him.

There's not so much running down the line trying to beat the player head on I guess.

Probably a victim of greater understanding of the game/stats too. I think your 40% is very generous, and then add on the poor chance of scoring from crosses and it's not seen as productive in a very statistically focused game at the moment.

It'll come back though, hopefully - at some point the current popular style will go into decline.

Overload to isolate.

This may interest. Its from somewhere called Liverpool. If you can't penetrate and this includes wing play, keep possession and start again.

Ray Power on X: "Liverpool FC Academy Decision-Making Tree  https://t.co/Biff0wqQDR" / X

• Like 3

On 05/03/2024 at 09:46, cidered abroad said:

There is nothing new in a left footed winger playing at outside right. The great Tom Finney was the best example.

And at City Jantzen Derrick was a right footer playing on the left wing.

Where the game changed dramatically was when Alf Ramsey changed tactics when he made the touchline huggers do more defensive work. Working with the full backs and wing halves to lessen opponents attempts on their own goal.

The game of football changed forever from one in which the idea was to score goals, goals and more goals to being very happy to win 1-0 every match.

Ideal for those coaches who can't think for themselves. We have the perfect example at Bristol City.

That’s 60 ago years the games changed again since then! Stats are increasingly important the gps that the players were these days have analysts studying where players are on the pitch when they are most effective and  where they’re are not effective.

They go as deep as percentages on corners inswigers are more effective than outswingers, but the percentages on both are low!  

On 04/03/2024 at 19:37, RedorDead BCFC said:

Really like Foden but what shocked me when he played against us was how fast he was. Knew he was quick but not as fast as he was that night. 

I didn't get the fuss about Foden until I saw him play live at AG. His movement and speed of thought were so impressive. Totally changed my view of him and has made me realise just how different it is just seeing them on TV.

On 04/03/2024 at 17:02, Back of the Dolman said:

I used to love watching Dave Smith fly down the wing and send over a cross for Bob Taylor or Nicky Morgan to head home

That must have been after his first dozen crosses flew straight into the East End

On 04/03/2024 at 17:02, Back of the Dolman said:

I used to love watching Dave Smith fly down the wing and send over a cross for Bob Taylor or Nicky Morgan to head home

A generation before that; Alan Skirton to John Galley and befire that Bobby Williams to John Atyeo.

Hmm 🤔 three instances of reasonably successful City teams.  I can see now what the OP was alluding to.

11 minutes ago, 22A said:

A generation before that; Alan Skirton to John Galley and befire that Bobby Williams to John Atyeo.

Hmm 🤔 three instances of reasonably successful City teams.  I can see now what the OP was alluding to.

From my time , Skirton would be first , for a short time.
The team that really was mine , Clive Whitehead , IMO the best of the lot .
Then we skip into the 80s and Howard Pritchard, Alan Crawford , Ralph Milne , Alan Walsh *whispers Gordon Owen .
Dave Smith & Mark Gavin , what a pairing .
Into the 90s . Junior Bent , Brian Tinnion (remember him?), Greg Goodridge , Scott Murray .
Into the 90 it gets a bit meh really. 
Mark Goodfellow , Dave Cotterill . later Ivan Sproule .
Yaninck Bolase and Albert  . I'll stop there as we didn't really play with traditional wingers after . Though LJ did sign quite a few , which was odd and somewhat pointless. 
I've been lucky enough to see some great wingers , as I said Whitehead was ma all time fav, but that spell with Smith and Gavin feeding Taylor and Turner was brilliant . Pritchard was great for us over 2 spells, specially the 2nd , I loved Ralph Milne and who can't love Scott Murray , I think we have been lucky over the years and no doubt when the fashion comes back, every team will have at least one again. 

• Like 1

With the boot on the other foot; Stan Matthews won fame for his club & country down the right wing. When Blackpool met City a cup game he struggled though. He was marked by Mike Thresher. 😄

On 05/03/2024 at 10:03, Davefevs said:

There are, but there are always a few who refuse to follow trends, or are happy to do it their own way.

Probably Dyche to only real top manager left not playing the modern way. Kompany has actually gone to a 4-4-2 mainly because they don’t have the players to go man to man on the same systems. It’s not coincidence that the Top 6 in both PL and Championship all play Total Football 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3.

3 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Brentford lost but their 3.5.2 is effective. I don’t understand why we don’t simplify things and go 3.5.2. 

Brentford are an interesting side tactically. Firstly they have nearly as many injuries as us, perhaps more through the season.

*Vs middling and lower sides at Home even more they will when they have the correct personnel play 4-3-3, look to press and or have a decent % of the ball.

Key to their shape can be Hickey and Henry at right and left back respectively. Both injured for many months.

*Vs upper middling and higher sides, ie top and top third, even moreso Away from Home they go 3-5-2, more physical and counterattacking.

Roerslev is never a PL RB or RWB, Regulion can but he's injured. Ajer perhaps as a narrow RB but CB moreso. Hickey and Henry can also go wingback but injured for months.

I look at them and think they are a few light in key areas but also yes major injuries too over the season.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous