IGNORED

Steve Lansdown Legacy: I'm grateful, but if LM doesn't work, it's time to sell.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Weird that he inherited a side that had lost 7 on the spin then, seeing as they were “the best squad in years”?

Scott hadn’t played a minute of first team football when Pearson took over, hardly “inheriting” him, is it?

Weimann was already out for the season as well, his comeback in the following one (down to him) was truly incredible.

Ghost rider knows all that, it’s been explained a million times on here - it just doesn’t suit his position.   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

You are clueless.

You say he "inherited" Scott & Semenyo? He was the one who brought them through........you carry on playing Fifa & leave the forum to the adults.

So he inherited them then? Maybe look the word up. 

• Facepalm 2

6 minutes ago, Tim Monaghan said:

Sorry, I forgot about the terrible team that Pearson inherited that included Scott, Semenyo, Wiemann, Kalas, Palmer, DaSilva, Bentley, Wells. 

I get that he ran some contracts down, but he still had one of the best squads we've had in YEARS scrapping a midtable finish and a 17th place. If that's success, then I'm out. Do you think the squad he inherited vs the team now was worse? Anyway, I'm not having this Pearson argument again.  

But, lets say he was a success then! 

He gave Scott his debut, fairly sure Semenyo too or at least developed him.

Wasnt Kalas injured most of the time?

Palmer was a waste of space but hey Lee frickin Johnson paid £4m for him so he must be good.

Nakhi is so good he's scored one goal this season.

Will give you Weimann, DaSilva and Bentley, but your conclusion on NP is way off.

Agree with everything else you say though, and BTW @Kid in the Riot isn't the only one thats been saying it for years. 🙂

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tim Monaghan said:

I've been a devoted Bristol City supporter for 34 years, I find myself at a crossroads, a juncture if you will, where admiration and concern intersect. Its all steamed from the debate this morning on the FBC Podcast. Steve Lansdown, the visionary behind our beloved club since 1996, has left an indelible mark on our history. His passion, commitment, and financial backing have propelled Bristol City to new heights, this is undeniable, yet, as we stand on the precipice of another season of mediocrity (some on here will argue self inflicted), I can’t help but feel that this is a pivotal moment—a last chance saloon—for Lansdown’s ownership.

First of all, let me begin by expressing my gratitude. Steve Lansdown’s journey with Bristol City mirrors that of many fans. From fan on the terraces through his sons love of Bristol City, he transitioned from a passionate supporter to a director, and eventually, the owner. His investment in the club has been transformative. Nobody can deny that. The redevelopment of Ashton Gate stands as a testament to his commitment. Our new modern facilities and infrastructure have surpassed expectations, providing our players and fans with an environment befitting a club with ambitions.

But success in football is a fickle mistress. It demands results, both on and off the pitch. And herein lies the conundrum. While I will forever be grateful for Lansdown’s contributions, I can’t ignore the recent growing turbulence. Liam Manning’s appointment as head coach—I feel a pivotal decision—has placed the spotlight squarely on Lansdown’s shoulders yet again. I feel his success or failure will reverberate through the corridors of Ashton Gate on this occasion. 

As fans, we yearn for stability in fact its a must, however, football and sport in general is about progress, and silverware. But I'm asking myself, is it too much to ask for both? I want to see our team compete at the highest level, challenging for promotion, and perhaps even gracing the Premier League. I get that football is a game of fine margins, tiny percentages and a dash of luck, but I feel that they have made so many wrong decisions on the football side, that if Mannings tenure doesn't work out how we hope, the Lansdowns must introspect. He must consider whether it’s time to pass the baton—to let someone else steer the ship with new ideas and investment into the team. 

If, or as some are convinced, when, Manning fails, Lansdown must be prepared to make the toughest decision of all. Selling up. By his own admission, SL isn't a footballing man. JL is, I've actually played football with him, but this is also under question with a vast majority of our supporters. He will also always be the rich boys son or crayon boy as the highest intellectuals will crow. A highly unfair tag, but one he will never shake, lets be fair. 

Above all, do I trust the current set-up to choose another manager should (when) this one fails? After all, their track record is somewhat erm, shite (when you also include hires when he was part of the board etc): 

• John Ward - Success
  • Benny Lennartsson - Failure
  • Tony Pulis - Failure 
  • Danny Wilson - Played nice football, but... 
  • Brain (judge me on) Tinnion - Huge failure 
  • Gary Johnson - Success 
  • Keith Millen - Failure 
  • Steve Coppell - Huge Failure after owners signing of David James meant he only lasted 3 months
  • Derek McInnes - Huge Failure
  • SOD - Huge Failure
  • Steve Cotterill - Huge Success (pretty sure he was Keith Dawes appointment though and SL didn't want him)
  • Lee Johnson - Mixed
  • Dean Holden - Failure 
  • Nigel Pearson - Failure 
  • Liam Manning - Looking like its failing (even though I feel its too soon to tell) 

Anyway, this is a very long winded way, and maybe a chance for me to verbal diarrhoea some words on to a page, to say that if this doesn't work out then maybe enough is enough. Bristol is one of the biggest cities in the United Kingdom. Our catchment area is insane. We as a football club should have tasted success, especially with how committed, and lets be honest, patient, our fanbase have been. 

Mr Lansdown, selling isn’t a sign of defeat; it’s an acknowledgment of responsibility. It’s saying, “I’ve given my all, but now it’s time for fresh ideas, renewed vigour, and a different path.”

My mind has been swung. I appreciate your dedication, your love for the club, and the dreams you’ve woven into the fabric of Bristol City. But we also recognize that this is a critical juncture. I'm praying the footballing gods smile upon us, and Liam Mannings reign lead us to glory, I believe it can, but if I'm wrong (and many of you think I am) may you find the courage to pass the torch—to let another custodian shape our destiny. I feel its time. 

SL was never a City ”fan on the terraces”, and Pearson was not a failure. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 6
  • Flames 1

14 minutes ago, Tim Monaghan said:

Sorry, I forgot about the terrible team that Pearson inherited that included Scott, Semenyo, Wiemann, Kalas, Palmer, DaSilva, Bentley, Wells. 

I get that he ran some contracts down, but he still had one of the best squads we've had in YEARS scrapping a midtable finish and a 17th place. If that's success, then I'm out. Do you think the squad he inherited vs the team now was worse? Anyway, I'm not having this Pearson argument again.  

But, lets say he was a success then! 

Regardless of your view of individual players, there's no doubt that Pearson inherited the worst performing team in the league.

By far the worst numbers in the league going forward, and only Wycombe anywhere near as bad as us defensively.

xG table at the end of the 2020/21 season below:

2021-05-08-101-1.png

• Thanks 1

Broadly speaking I agree with the view that it’s time for Steve to go. But really this is about employing competence around him. I cannot believe he built his own business without employing the best, listening to what they had to say and following their advice. 
Why do people think football is so different? Every time someone is at the club and challenging the non footballing establishment they quickly disappear to be replaced by a yes man. 
To listen to Jon Lansdown talk about conditioning of football players as if he knows more than a hugely respected medical professional with decades of experience is perhaps the most recent and most obvious example. 
Steve could not sell, but employ the best people money can buy and get rid of the self important amateurs, and his investment would be more secure. Problem is that will require a difficult conversation with Jon. So if he cannot stand up to Jon then I agree, he needs to move on. It’s not their football club, it’s the club of the city and the supporters. It cannot become a family plaything. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Superjack said:

He was a Gas supporter on the terraces though.

Exactly. Tried to invest in them first and bosum buddies with Nick Higgs. Where’s the pic of the smug **** holding a gas flag at the Euros when you need it…

Edited by tin
  • Like 3

What NP inherited, take most individuals at that point out of it, as well as those with poor attitude or ability.

The morale was poor if not collapsed, the injury crisis was big, the form was dire, loads out of contract, arguably not very well coached for a good 2 years minimum...maybe longer. For Holden and least the latter stages of the Lee Johnson era.

Individuals or a number of them did have qualities on paper but when the strategic position has collapsed there is no salvaging the situation with that squad.

Especially when FFP was starting to close in too. It was truly a dire situation.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

I disagree with the original post in two senses:

1) I think tying Manning and the Lansdowns' future together creates too much pressure to keep Manning (in that, if he goes, the owners have to go too). Any decision on Manning's future should be independent from any decision on the owners' future.

2) I'm past the point of talking about IF Manning doesn't work. I don't think his appointment has worked, I don't think it will work and I think every day he remains in post is a day wasted and even a day undermining the future of the club. It's time to change manager now and THEN have a discussion about the owners' future.

I appreciate what SL has done but he seems to have grown tired and lost interest. I can understand that but the club needs more. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What NP inherited, take most individuals at that point out of it, as well as those with poor attitude or ability.

The morale was poor if not collapsed, the injury crisis was big, the form was dire, loads out of contract, arguably not very well coached for a good 2 years minimum...maybe longer. For Holden and least the latter stages of the Lee Johnson era.

Individuals or a number of them did have qualities on paper but when the strategic position has collapsed there is no salvaging the situation with that squad.

Especially when FFP was starting to close in too. It was truly a dire situation.

Excellent simple summary Mr P 👍

Dire it indeed was 

• Like 1

Perhaps what everyone is realising is that turning Bristol City into one of the top 10-15 football clubs in the country is well nigh an impossible job in the 2020s. 
Without history, tradition and huge financial backing, it simply ain’t going to happen. Add to that a relatively small supporter base unused to any prolonged achievement and no parachute payments then you really do have mission practically impossible. 
Clubs of our ranking and status occasionally burn brightly but they usually fall back to earth and have to start the process all over again. 
Even clubs with more of the three essential ingredients find it hard going a lot of the time. Examples of these are Leeds, Everton, Forest, Wednesday, West Brom and even Villa although they are doing alright at the moment. 
Unfortunately football has become a game where only the uber rich can succeed and even though there is the smaller time example of Wrexham, I can’t see a Sheikh or a multi-national being attracted to plough in the kind of money needed to little old Bristol City. 

SL has had relative success with Bristol Rugby but it’s a smaller pond and they do have history and tradition. 
We can look enviously at Brentford, Brighton and Bournemouth but how long will their stay in the Prem last? Also throw in the recent success (ish) of Sheff Utd, Watford, Burnley and Luton and question where those clubs are destined to be any more than yo-yo clubs at best. 
Lansdown has created a reasonably solid base for someone to come in and do a Plymouth, a Preston or some such mediocrity but I fear we may be in for some tough years. 
The time to push on was during or just after the GJ time. I fear SL has been treading water for too long, the climate has changed and we’re no longer that attractive to new investors. 

I hope I’m wrong but I ain’t holding my breath. 

10 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Hi Nigel, Steve Lansdown here, just wondered if you'd be interested in the vacancy we currently have?

Ok, slight heads up, we have an uninterested, unmotivated and unfit squad which is currently suffering a quite preposterous injury crisis. Eleven players are out of contract and leaving at the end of the season as we desperately need to reduce both the size of our squad and wage bill. We are currently on a run of losing seven straight games (and twelve of the last fifteen). After the game on Saturday one of our caretaker managers basically pleaded for help as soon as possible and made it clear he had no idea how we would get out of this slump. Our captain and record transfer fee was holding back tears while telling the media that he had never played in a team like this and admitted that every game we spend ninety minutes desperately defending and trying to keep the score down.

Fortunately we only need a two or three wins to see us safe this season so we would like you to achieve them as quickly as you possibly can. Should we stay up we would be interested in offering you a three year deal. We have to be honest and say that the first two of those years we will be operating under austerity measures due to the threat of points deductions and transfer embargoes for failing FFP, the squad will have to be small and we will have to rely on young unproven players from the academy. It goes without saying that we cannot get relegated as the financial issues we have would be massively exaggerated should we end up playing League 1 football. After these two seasons are up and all contracts from our previous big spending have came to an end you will have an opportunity to start looking forwards and targeting competing for playoff places.

Its not all bad though, you will be 'inheriting' a 17 year old that hasn't played a minute of professional football and a 21 year old forward that hasn't scored a goal in 43 Championship appearances. If you could provide the opportunities, coaching and guidance that help turn these two into assets we can sell to the Premier League for around 35 million that would really help our current financial plight.

Should you achieve all these things while building a spirited, professional and committed squad, we will thankyou for your efforts by firing you as soon as we (wrongly) believe we have an excuse and someone on our most used fans forum will call you a failure.

Spot on. Very well said. 

9 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Hi Nigel, Steve Lansdown here, just wondered if you'd be interested in the vacancy we currently have?

Ok, slight heads up, we have an uninterested, unmotivated and unfit squad which is currently suffering a quite preposterous injury crisis. Eleven players are out of contract and leaving at the end of the season as we desperately need to reduce both the size of our squad and wage bill. We are currently on a run of losing seven straight games (and twelve of the last fifteen). After the game on Saturday one of our caretaker managers basically pleaded for help as soon as possible and made it clear he had no idea how we would get out of this slump. Our captain and record transfer fee was holding back tears while telling the media that he had never played in a team like this and admitted that every game we spend ninety minutes desperately defending and trying to keep the score down.

Fortunately we only need a two or three wins to see us safe this season so we would like you to achieve them as quickly as you possibly can. Should we stay up we would be interested in offering you a three year deal. We have to be honest and say that the first two of those years we will be operating under austerity measures due to the threat of points deductions and transfer embargoes for failing FFP, the squad will have to be small and we will have to rely on young unproven players from the academy. It goes without saying that we cannot get relegated as the financial issues we have would be massively exaggerated should we end up playing League 1 football. After these two seasons are up and all contracts from our previous big spending have came to an end you will have an opportunity to start looking forwards and targeting competing for playoff places.

Its not all bad though, you will be 'inheriting' a 17 year old that hasn't played a minute of professional football and a 21 year old forward that hasn't scored a goal in 43 Championship appearances. If you could provide the opportunities, coaching and guidance that help turn these two into assets we can sell to the Premier League for around 35 million that would really help our current financial plight.

Should you achieve all these things while building a spirited, professional and committed squad, we will thankyou for your efforts by firing you as soon as we (wrongly) believe we have an excuse and someone on our most used fans forum will call you a failure.

What a f++king brilliant post.  Well done squire.  Tongue-in-cheek in places, maybe, but pretty near the mark / truth.

He wasn’t a failure.

He wasn’t perfect.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What a f++king brilliant post.  Well done squire.  Tongue-in-cheek in places, maybe, but pretty near the mark / truth.

He wasn’t a failure.

He wasn’t perfect.

he could've set out the future…

3 hours ago, Tim Monaghan said:

I've been a devoted Bristol City supporter for 34 years, I find myself at a crossroads, a juncture if you will, where admiration and concern intersect. Its all steamed from the debate this morning on the FBC Podcast. Steve Lansdown, the visionary behind our beloved club since 1996, has left an indelible mark on our history. His passion, commitment, and financial backing have propelled Bristol City to new heights, this is undeniable, yet, as we stand on the precipice of another season of mediocrity (some on here will argue self inflicted), I can’t help but feel that this is a pivotal moment—a last chance saloon—for Lansdown’s ownership.

First of all, let me begin by expressing my gratitude. Steve Lansdown’s journey with Bristol City mirrors that of many fans. From fan on the terraces through his sons love of Bristol City, he transitioned from a passionate supporter to a director, and eventually, the owner. His investment in the club has been transformative. Nobody can deny that. The redevelopment of Ashton Gate stands as a testament to his commitment. Our new modern facilities and infrastructure have surpassed expectations, providing our players and fans with an environment befitting a club with ambitions.

But success in football is a fickle mistress. It demands results, both on and off the pitch. And herein lies the conundrum. While I will forever be grateful for Lansdown’s contributions, I can’t ignore the recent growing turbulence. Liam Manning’s appointment as head coach—I feel a pivotal decision—has placed the spotlight squarely on Lansdown’s shoulders yet again. I feel his success or failure will reverberate through the corridors of Ashton Gate on this occasion. 

As fans, we yearn for stability in fact its a must, however, football and sport in general is about progress, and silverware. But I'm asking myself, is it too much to ask for both? I want to see our team compete at the highest level, challenging for promotion, and perhaps even gracing the Premier League. I get that football is a game of fine margins, tiny percentages and a dash of luck, but I feel that they have made so many wrong decisions on the football side, that if Mannings tenure doesn't work out how we hope, the Lansdowns must introspect. He must consider whether it’s time to pass the baton—to let someone else steer the ship with new ideas and investment into the team. 

If, or as some are convinced, when, Manning fails, Lansdown must be prepared to make the toughest decision of all. Selling up. By his own admission, SL isn't a footballing man. JL is, I've actually played football with him, but this is also under question with a vast majority of our supporters. He will also always be the rich boys son or crayon boy as the highest intellectuals will crow. A highly unfair tag, but one he will never shake, lets be fair. 

Above all, do I trust the current set-up to choose another manager should (when) this one fails? After all, their track record is somewhat erm, shite (when you also include hires when he was part of the board etc): 

• John Ward - Success
  • Benny Lennartsson - Failure
  • Tony Pulis - Failure 
  • Danny Wilson - Played nice football, but... 
  • Brain (judge me on) Tinnion - Huge failure 
  • Gary Johnson - Success 
  • Keith Millen - Failure 
  • Steve Coppell - Huge Failure after owners signing of David James meant he only lasted 3 months
  • Derek McInnes - Huge Failure
  • SOD - Huge Failure
  • Steve Cotterill - Huge Success (pretty sure he was Keith Dawes appointment though and SL didn't want him)
  • Lee Johnson - Mixed
  • Dean Holden - Failure 
  • Nigel Pearson - Failure 
  • Liam Manning - Looking like its failing (even though I feel its too soon to tell) 

Anyway, this is a very long winded way, and maybe a chance for me to verbal diarrhoea some words on to a page, to say that if this doesn't work out then maybe enough is enough. Bristol is one of the biggest cities in the United Kingdom. Our catchment area is insane. We as a football club should have tasted success, especially with how committed, and lets be honest, patient, our fanbase have been. 

Mr Lansdown, selling isn’t a sign of defeat; it’s an acknowledgment of responsibility. It’s saying, “I’ve given my all, but now it’s time for fresh ideas, renewed vigour, and a different path.”

My mind has been swung. I appreciate your dedication, your love for the club, and the dreams you’ve woven into the fabric of Bristol City. But we also recognize that this is a critical juncture. I'm praying the footballing gods smile upon us, and Liam Mannings reign lead us to glory, I believe it can, but if I'm wrong (and many of you think I am) may you find the courage to pass the torch—to let another custodian shape our destiny. I feel its time. 

We’ve been for sale for a while now, apart from a little interest from sum yanks , we’ve had no other serious interest, perhaps the price is putting groups off .

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Apparently it was NP that contacted Lansdown. 

Go figure.... 🙄

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

That post should be pinned.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

SL did say what happened in an interview, someone will find it

NP contacted SL about the vacancy.

SL returned NP's call while NP was making bacon sandwiches.

These are facts. 

I know, because I read it somewhere.

Seriously though, can you honestly imagine SL seeking out somebody with the reputation that NP had at the time?

It's another thing that makes recent events all the more galling. If anything, Lansdown should have pleasantly relieved at how amiable NP turned out to be, prior of course to the Lansdowns returning to form.

Just now, Superjack said:

NP contacted SL about the vacancy.

SL returned NP's call while NP was making bacon sandwiches.

These are facts. 

I know, because I read it somewhere.

Seriously though, can you honestly imagine SL seeking out somebody with the reputation that NP had at the time?

It's another thing that makes recent events all the more galling. If anything, Lansdown should have been pleasantly relieved at how amiable NP turned out to be, prior of course to the Lansdowns returning to form.

• Thanks 1