IGNORED

FBC Podcast: SWANSEA [H] the verdict ....... City win ends relegation fears in borefest that wasn't a good look for modern coaching

headhunter

23 minutes ago, The turtle said:

It's not so much that the game plan was to play badly 

But it absolutely was to contain.

Regardless of performance level, if your game plan at home to swansea is to do that, well v this Swansea trying to be the most boring game was the best we could hope for 

They were going to score, or 00 at HT.

Playing badly no, but contain was absolutely the plan

I genuinely think at HT , LM was of the opinion job done, they'll run out of ideas.

However , it was awful to watch, and worked because swansea had no end product, that's it

And FWIW, I don’t buy the post-match comments that they set up to block higher in the second half, because for pretty much the first 15 mins they didn’t do anything different to what they did first half.

IMG_9994.thumb.jpeg.cb4a946ad4312c9d97c76f52aa7a6f42.jpeg

I do think Sykes made a difference (I think he had “beef” with Swansea for last season), but I sensed the Placheta miss created a “eff this for a game of soldiers, we’ve got to play something other than this passive shit, or else it’ll be us (the players) getting the boos, when all we are doing is playing to instruction”.

IMG_9995.thumb.jpeg.16d89d19578edb48d2e88f14872c2d95.jpeg

For me it was more the players deciding to take the game by the scruff of the neck.  They disrupted Swansea.

IMG_2735.thumb.jpeg.d7737dd0261bb2949132a394cbc62605.jpeg

Pic above - 61 mins

Midfield line is safe, JW and TGH marking goal-side, MS (just on) on same line.  TC and JK no pressure on keeper (I’m not expecting them to go mad), who is as one footed as Daniel Day-Lewis!  We are still containing, just after Placheta’s 58th minute shot.

IMG_2736.thumb.jpeg.9c2875db0503f38640652f9c91dcf735.jpeg

Pic above 71 mins (just before we scored spookily)

Look at the difference!  I know the ball is now deeper on the pitch, but the intent is different.

Midfield line 10-12 yards higher (2 mow widths).  TGH now marking in front, therefore keeper can’t go to Allen / Grimes.  Nobody worried about the player in between our midfield line and defence.  If the keeper drops a ball in there, fair play.

JK now looking to press, the Swansea LCB can’t create an angle, so JK knows he can only go one way.

A simple change of intent / positioning.  Williams had been beckoning TGH to get up with him.

What happened next?  Keeper kicks long, Mehmeti gets the loose ball, drives at the defence, earns a corner, piff, paff, puff, goal.

We squeezed the pitch a bit in our favour.  Quelle Surprisé, we started getting loose ball, bits n pieces.  We became effective, becayse we win it before Swansea could settle into their structure defence.

I think the head-coach is calling out what he witnessed not what he designed / planned.

Tin hat on!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

30 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The only reason I would disagree with that is because the mob we were playing were bloody awful too. Both sides deserved to lose, good for us we showed that one bit of quality in the game and didn't. What that game proved is that had we chosen Luke WIlliams instead of Liam Manning we would be having exactly the same conversations!!

:clap:

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

And FWIW, I don’t buy the post-match comments that they set up to block higher in the second half, because for pretty much the first 15 mins they didn’t do anything different to what they did first half.

IMG_9994.thumb.jpeg.cb4a946ad4312c9d97c76f52aa7a6f42.jpeg

I do think Sykes made a difference (I think he had “beef” with Swansea for last season), but I sensed the Placheta miss created a “eff this for a game of soldiers, we’ve got to play something other than this passive shit, or else it’ll be us (the players) getting the boos, when all we are doing is playing to instruction”.

IMG_9995.thumb.jpeg.16d89d19578edb48d2e88f14872c2d95.jpeg

For me it was more the players deciding to take the game by the scruff of the neck.  They disrupted Swansea.

IMG_2735.thumb.jpeg.d7737dd0261bb2949132a394cbc62605.jpeg

Pic above - 61 mins

Midfield line is safe, JW and TGH marking goal-side, MS (just on) on same line.  TC and JK no pressure on keeper (I’m not expecting them to go mad), who is as one footed as Daniel Day-Lewis!  We are still containing, just after Placheta’s 58th minute shot.

IMG_2736.thumb.jpeg.9c2875db0503f38640652f9c91dcf735.jpeg

Pic above 71 mins (just before we scored spookily)

Look at the difference!  I know the ball is now deeper on the pitch, but the intent is different.

Midfield line 10-12 yards higher (2 mow widths).  TGH now marking in front, therefore keeper can’t go to Allen / Grimes.  Nobody worried about the player in between our midfield line and defence.  If the keeper drops a ball in there, fair play.

JK now looking to press, the Swansea LCB can’t create an angle, so JK knows he can only go one way.

A simple change of intent / positioning.  Williams had been beckoning TGH to get up with him.

What happened next?  Keeper kicks long, Mehmeti gets the loose ball, drives at the defence, earns a corner, piff, paff, puff, goal.

We squeezed the pitch a bit in our favour.  Quelle Surprisé, we started getting loose ball, bits n pieces.  We became effective, becayse we win it before Swansea could settle into their structure defence.

I think the head-coach is calling out what he witnessed not what he designed / planned.

Tin hat on!

Agree and I think some of our players had a bit of eff this, let's up the tempo and do what we're good at for the last 20 mins.

Tommy and Jason were getting pelters from the SS for standing off and watching the keeper with the ball at his feet. One time around the 70 mins mark, you could literally see Tommy thinking sod this and from that point he started pressing the keeper and forced him to move the ball quicker.

• Thanks 1

It’s clear that the most successful coaches , Gardiola, Klopp, Ferguson , Clough… don’t /didn’t have emotions. 
Frankly give me Warnock over these identikit AI generated modern coaches. 
Football isn’t Science homework it’s meant to be about romance, hope , despair, derring do, joy and letting off steam in communion with your mates . 
Who dares wins Rodney . 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Agree and I think some of our players had a bit of eff this, let's up the tempo and do what we're good at for the last 20 mins.

Tommy and Jason were getting pelters from the SS for standing off and watching the keeper with the ball at his feet. One time around the 70 mins mark, you could literally see Tommy thinking sod this and from that point he started pressing the keeper and forced him to move the ball quicker.

I was loathe to post the above, so thanks for sharing what the SS were doing, and TC’s reaction.  I could see his frustrations in the second half that “our” passive block meant he was getting played around.

The players were brave, the head-coach not.

• Like 1