IGNORED

FBC Podcast: SWANSEA [H] the verdict ....... City win ends relegation fears in borefest that wasn't a good look for modern coaching

headhunter

27 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

First time I've ever been shouting at the phone e in favour of IG. Just answer the question Neil !!!!! It's a hypothetical would you happy watching 16 games of dull turgid football and accept a 1-0 win each time.

No context needed.

I'm with Ian, no I wouldn't watch it .

Same here! Too much overthinking. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Ian Gay tonight:

Who’s on anyway @headhunter? Ian on or is he busy with a prior engagement in Brian’s rectum?

Why are abusive about someone's opinions on a podcast you don't have to listen to/can simply ignore. You have enough opinions - why don't you create your own podcast if you don't like what you hear from Ian G? 

38 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

First time I've ever been shouting at the phone e in favour of IG. Just answer the question Neil !!!!! It's a hypothetical would you happy watching 16 games of dull turgid football and accept a 1-0 win each time.

No context needed.

It was a strange question and @NcnsBcfcand @TomSutton Appeared rightly perplexed by the q and both gave the right answer

You simply won’t win ‘15 home games’ playing and performing like that 

• Facepalm 1

22 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

It was a strange question and @NcnsBcfcand @TomSutton Appeared rightly perplexed by the q and both gave the right answer

You simply won’t win ‘15 home games’ playing and performing like that 

That was an awful performance yesterday but I wonder how far down the spectrum compared with the undeserved 1-0 win over Coventry back in the Autumn.

We'll remember the good games like Southampton this season and WBA a few years back when we were 3-0 up in half an hour [won 3-2] but the scrappy 1-0s don't stay long in the memory.

28 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

Why are abusive about someone's opinions on a podcast you don't have to listen to/can simply ignore. You have enough opinions - why don't you create your own podcast if you don't like what you hear from Ian G? 

Or message Dave and ask to go on the podcast....

• Flames 1

44 minutes ago, headhunter said:

That was an awful performance yesterday but I wonder how far down the spectrum compared with the undeserved 1-0 win over Coventry back in the Autumn.

We'll remember the good games like Southampton this season and WBA a few years back when we were 3-0 up in half an hour [won 3-2] but the scrappy 1-0s don't stay long in the memory.

Whatever was and wasn't the worst game this season the title you put on this thread for yesterday's undoubtedly nailed it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

The indisputable evidence was that it IS Mother's Day today and the match took place at lunchtime when most families are out together, but I should have known that only negative comments are allowed on the forum these days!

OK Jon

50 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Wouldn’t that theory pre suppose Swansea are as good as Coventry? Which they clearly are not.

Had a look at our subs bench for that one, Knight, who wasn’t well enough to start, Idehen, Joseph James, Nelson, Yeboah, Knight-Lebel, plus Bajic.

Basically we had Cornick & a not 100% Knight to bring on, so quite incredible we beat a side who made the playoff final at all with what was available to us.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Wouldn’t that theory pre suppose Swansea are as good as Coventry? Which they clearly are not.

Had a look at our subs bench for that one, Knight, who wasn’t well enough to start, Idehen, Joseph James, Nelson, Yeboah, Knight-Lebel, plus Bajic.

Basically we had Cornick & a not 100% Knight to bring on, so quite incredible we beat a side who made the playoff final at all with what was available to us.

Silly, you can't let facts get in the way of bashing Pearson!!

They know best and facts or context have **** all to do with it.....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

No context needed.

😂 @Sir Geoff

The issue for me answering that question is that it was so badly phrased on Ian's part.

Would I beat happy to win 16 games at home per season, whilst playing dire football?

So would I be happy in essence to get promotion playing dire football?

The dire football yesterday was so awful that it would be a really hard sell to come and watch it, but do I want promotion? 🤔

Ian once again tried to defend LM. But I bought up all of his postings during the game where he commented how bad it was, and what he would do to change it.

In true Ian fashion, following the podcast he went back to his postings and deleted a number of those posts to show his feelings in a more positive light post result. It's his way of appearing to be in the right all the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

😂 @Sir Geoff

The issue for me answering that question is that it was so badly phrased on Ian's part.

Would I beat happy to win 16 games at home per season, whilst playing dire football?

The dire football yesterday was so awful that it would be a really hard sell to come and watch it, but do I want promotion? 🤔

Ian once again tried to defend LM. But I bought up all of his postings during the game where he commented how bad it was, and what he would do to change it.

In true Ian fashion, following the podcast he went back to his postings and deleted a number of those posts to show his feelings in a more positive light post result. It's his way of appearing to be in the right all the time.

Agreed, there was no context. You can produce winning football without being 'entertaining', Wimbledon did so to good effect in the 80's and 90's. However, even the Crazy Gang had a style of play that produced pressure and goalscoring chances throughout 90 minutes. We didn't have either yesterday.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Agreed, there was no context. You can produce winning football without being 'entertaining', Wimbledon did so to good effect in the 80's and 90's. However, even the Crazy Gang had a style of play that produced pressure and goalscoring chances throughout 90 minutes. We didn't have either yesterday.

@Curr Avon

Mark, I got @headhunter to read out some of Ian's tweets during the game so there will be a record of them (in retrospect I should have screen shoted).

@TomSutton and I aren't on the podcast this Sat. But Ian has to be challenged on going back and deleting his less than favourable postings of the game and Manning he made during it, in favour of more positive ones this morning on Twitter. 

It's like somebody has had a word with him? 🤔

I'm relying on you... 😂👍

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, headhunter said:

Imho, nowhere near as bad.  First 30-35 mins we were very poor, but we dug in (didn’t just sit off like yesterday), scored and second half was a pretty even affair.

image.thumb.jpeg.5ff09ced19ba7f539ff5c60c2f9f6f36.jpeg

Vyner injured, necessitating King to play CB and Pring LCB3, changed shape to 442 when Roberts was subbed-off on 39 mins. Etc, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Oh my 🤣🤣🤣

Hilarious , and sums him up perfectly

Edited by Sheltons Army

On 11/03/2024 at 00:05, And Its Smith said:

Amazed that anyone would take playing like we did today just to get 16 home wins. More to life than watching god awful football 

This debate was completely lacking in substance. If we play like we did today we will NEVER get 16 wins home and away. Listen to the pod every game but this was utter tosh to listen to. 

19 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

😂 @Sir Geoff

It was an absolute nonsense question. I think @TomSutton touched on it. It would be almost impossible to have champions level home form playing that badly. He also didn’t mention the away form. If you play that badly away, you’re more likely to lose more.

It also ridiculous to think playing that badly was some sort of clever game plan we executed perfectly to grind out a result. 

Whatever the game plan was, we failed, we were awful, we were lucky to win.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Henry said:

It was an absolute nonsense question. I think @TomSutton touched on it. It would be almost impossible to have champions level home form playing that badly. He also didn’t mention the away form. If you play that badly away, you’re more likely to lose more.

It also ridiculous to think playing that badly was some sort of clever game plan we executed perfectly to grind out a result. 

It's not so much that the game plan was to play badly 

But it absolutely was to contain.

Regardless of performance level, if your game plan at home to swansea is to do that, well v this Swansea trying to be the most boring game was the best we could hope for 

They were going to score, or 00 at HT.

Playing badly no, but contain was absolutely the plan

I genuinely think at HT , LM was of the opinion job done, they'll run out of ideas.

However , it was awful to watch, and worked because swansea had no end product, that's it

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Targeted by Mods said:

Hey Stalker Max 👋 are you related to Shelton the Shelbie Dog? Keep those reactions coming 😆

🎣

Good Girl

Are you OK Travis?

Quoting yourself is a really weird look.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

This debate was completely lacking in substance. If we play like we did today we will NEVER get 16 wins home and away. Listen to the pod every game but this was utter tosh to listen to. 

I sense it was Ian trying to divert the conversation away from meaningful debate about the level of performance.

Had he even added something around away games, e.g and 8 away wins the same, then it has better context.

FWIW I’ve never worried where we picked up wins and draws, home or away.

+++++

And Tinnion admitted that he was involved, so Ian’s assertions last week, that I challenged him back on directly, that it was “all JL and GM”, weren’t true.  Quelle Surprisé

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Henry said:

The only reason I would disagree with that is because the mob we were playing were bloody awful too. Both sides deserved to lose, good for us we showed that one bit of quality in the game and didn't. What that game proved is that had we chosen Luke WIlliams instead of Liam Manning we would be having exactly the same conversations!!

• Like 4

As the host of the pod I'd just like to interject by making reference to the phrase "playing like that" in the context of 16 wins by that scoreline.

We would NOT win 16 games, home or away, "playing like that". My interpretation of what Ian said, rightly or wrongly, was winning 16 scrappy games 1-0 isn't pretty to watch but might be effective. What made it worse on Saturday is that the Swans were passive themselves and far from the game being played with the passion of a local derby it was akin to a poor pre-season friendly.

Would fans have been happy if we battered them, hitting the post/bar, drawing several good saves from the keeper as they sat in only to lose 0-1 to a breakaway goal. That would have drawn the phrase from many "we'll win more than we lose playing like that".

In 6 months time no-one will remember the detail of Sunday's game nor how we were battered by Coventry in October but stole [?] a 1-0 win. 

What I do remember is 6 years ago being 3-0 up at half time against Sunderland but drawing 3-3, a further nail in that coffin of collapse in the 2nd half of 2017/18

Just now, headhunter said:

As the host of the pod I'd just like to interject by making reference to the phrase "playing like that" in the context of 16 wins by that scoreline.

We would NOT win 16 games, home or away, "playing like that". My interpretation of what Ian said, rightly or wrongly, was winning 16 scrappy games 1-0 isn't pretty to watch but might be effective. What made it worse on Saturday is that the Swans were passive themselves and far from the game being played with the passion of a local derby it was akin to a poor pre-season friendly.

Would fans have been happy if we battered them, hitting the post/bar, drawing several good saves from the keeper as they sat in only to lose 0-1 to a breakaway goal. That would have drawn the phrase from many "we'll win more than we lose playing like that".

In 6 months time no-one will remember the detail of Sunday's game nor how we were battered by Coventry in October but stole [?] a 1-0 win. 

What I do remember is 6 years ago being 3-0 up at half time against Sunderland but drawing 3-3, a further nail in that coffin of collapse in the 2nd half of 2017/18

I would like to hear more from Mark as he is by far the most sensible and realistic of the contributors. He also doesn’t fall into the trap of providing an opinion as fact which others do. I find both Ian and Tom present their view points as fact but neither actually really understand the basics. Just my view.

The other Dave on the week before and Mark are more well reasoned and that for me results in a better podcast.

7 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Not sure of your exact point, Dave, but give me paragraph 3 everytime over what we witnessed Sunday.

Davefevs put the Coventry game in to context for you earlier in the thread 

Edited by Sir Geoff
Mis spelling
  • Thanks 1