IGNORED

Now’s the time.

4 minutes ago, JAWS said:

I don't think he will get a significant amount. Those days are gone with lansclown after he had his fingers burnt under LJ's tenure.

His model has been pretty consistent in trying to get value. They view players as commodities above all else.

Talking of value although he scored vs Ipswich and had one disallowed v Cardiff, what must these tactics and a lot of the reign be doing to the value of eg Conway? Regressing surely.

Such a depressive topic, makes me want to take a break from watching City now that we are not relegated. It is deprresive but it is the reality. This club is going in a wrong direction and this needs to change.                 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Talking of value although he scored vs Ipswich and had one disallowed v Cardiff, what must these tactics and a lot of the reign be doing to the value of eg Conway? Regressing surely.

Exactly pops. Think just incompetence & lack of football savvy. We had a man in the building who had far more experience than anyone we had previously had in a long long time. He was very perceptive & was gradually & organically making the necessary changes. The trouble is he exposed his master & rather than accept a much more qualified opinion that was for the overall benefit of the club he was dispensed with.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

One things for sure, whatever needs to be done to keep Sid in gainful employment will be done by Sid.

Bbc Comedy GIF by The QI Elves

52 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Agree entirely - surprised how many people presume he’s now safe after that 1 win.

For me there is still debt to his name, one win has paid some of his overdraft, but he’s far from the black.

Didn’t see much of the game today, but have read it wasn’t great and I saw the empty seats you talk of..money talks…

2 loses in the next two with similar showings up to now and as you say he’ll be in big danger of going.

He is though.
If we stay clear of real trouble we are in prime LJ territory.  He will be given enough time to fail, maybe not given the vast amounts of money Johnson was , but they will give him time as they want him to be the young progressive Coach they plucked from (almost) nowhere. 
Johnson was given more time and money than any other Manager would have been because he was Steve's pet project . Manning is the same , but without Father feeling. He is going to be given plenty of chances, I'm surprised Steve hasn't done the "he's here until I say he's not " speech.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

He is though.
If we stay clear of real trouble we are in prime LJ territory.  He will be given enough time to fail, maybe not given the vast amounts of money Johnson was , but they will give him time as they want him to be the young progressive Coach they plucked from (almost) nowhere. 
Johnson was given more time and money than any other Manager would have been because he was Steve's pet project . Manning is the same , but without Father feeling. He is going to be given plenty of chances, I'm surprised Steve hasn't done the "he's here until I say he's not " speech.  

You may well be right…but 

I’m not so sure that’s the case with Manning - have a feeling he’s BT and JL’s pick so wouldn’t be surprised to see Steve step in on this time.

Either way him going next week or later this year (if he doesn’t markedly and quickly improve) - there will be no ‘good’ way out on this one for the Lansdown’s  - and they’ll know the reality is the longer he stays, the longer and more expensive it will be to put it right…which may dictate things more this time round and they may save more face by acting quicker on it. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

He is though.

Unfortunately I completely agree with you. 

I thought in Manning’s presser this week he didn’t sound like a man whose job was on the line with the Swansea game. That result today will give them a feeling of being right about supporting him. I think things will have to get really, really bad for them to sack him. He’s their man and they are doubling down on it. 

In the meantime Manning is losing the fans as each game passes and snide swipes at us really don’t help that. 

Edited by One Team
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I’m not so sure that’s the case with Manning - have a feeling he’s BT and JL’s pick so wouldn’t be surprised to see Steve step in on this time.

Either way him going next week or later this year (if he doesn’t markedly and quickly improve) - there will be no ‘good’ way out on this one for the Lansdown’s  - and they’ll know the reality is the longer he stays, the longer and more expensive it will be to put it right…which may dictate things more this time round and they may save more face by acting quicker on it. 

I  would love them to "fess up" and say "we got it wrong" . I would have much more respect for them if they did. It would be the sign of a good strong character to admit they were wrong. Not sure they see it that way though. 

• Robin 1

As we know what fans think counts for nothing.

The actual decision-makers do have a difficulty though as their man certainly has not started well and a narrow home win, coupled with a very underwhelming performance, against a team below us in the table is hardly going to change that.

So do they stick or twist? 

Can’t see any decision other than them sticking for this season.

His short-term future, at least for me, depends on the next nine games, however, as per my opening line that counts for nothing. 

Timing, should they twist, will be critical, if as some suggest we start next season with him and give it ten games and it goes badly we are then trying to recover a mess. Alternatively, if the next nine games are in keeping with our form over the last six games they, hopefully, will get rid at the end of this season. Which at least would enable a successor to pick up the pieces and have a pre-season.

Given our hierarchy I suspect they will stick with him for far too long! 

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Spooky that Tinnion came out and did an interview last week and SL shows up today. Vote of confidence ? Or here to pave the way for sacking.

I’m sure it was Steve coming in to see for himself first hand before pulling the trigger. I don’t think today has saved him for long, just a stay of execution. Imagine covering losses for that drivel. You wouldn’t be happy, 3 points or not. 

I do think though that there’s no points target for the next 2. Just improved and spirited attempts. Lose the next two badly then I think SL might again be ready to sign thr P45 after Plymouth. 

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Spooky that Tinnion came out and did an interview last week and SL shows up today. Vote of confidence ? Or here to pave the way for sacking.

I’m sure it was Steve coming in to see for himself first hand before pulling the trigger. I don’t think today has saved him for long, just a stay of execution. Imagine covering losses for that drivel. You wouldn’t be happy, 3 points or not. 

I do think though that there’s no points target for the next 2. Just improved and spirited attempts. Lose the next two badly then I think SL might again be ready to sign thr P45 after Plymouth. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

There are still 9 games left, if we finish in the top half it will be the first time since LJ left and will be seen as a success. Nobody's going to be sacked this season. Why try and pre-judge failure that hasn't happened yet?

Try actually opening your eyes

3 hours ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

All but mathematical safety confirmed. 
Now is the time to act, get rid of Manning, utilise King/others to see us through the season and then get ready to make a managerial announcement ready for next season. 

We can (high majority) all see that Liam Manning isn’t the man for this job. 

if only the technical director had any ounce of credibility about himself 

Just out of interest who do we bring in instead of manning to take us forward? Who could bring more out of the is squad?

Massive win today after some dismal results since Southampton game 

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

There is something (and potentially nothing) that was notable in Liams pre match presser. The number of times he said “Brian”.

Those of us who have worked in office environments know in meetings that staff under pressure tend to reference their superiors a lot. It’s a way of tying their fortunes to their bosses, and trying to spread the blame/ make it more difficult to them to be dismissed.

I’m not saying he will be sacked. But the “tells” in interviews mean I wouldn’t rule it out, irrespective of today’s result. Steve L also being in attendance at a half empty AG won’t also have helped his case.

The bottom line is that if Tinnion sacks him this season he can retain some credibility (wye aye, we saw it wasn’t working and wanted to act quickly) but a sacking in October finishes him as well.

I think for all those reasons it may be closer than you think and beatings by both WBA and Leicester may well lead to the trigger being pulled.

Seeing Tinnion’s interview made me feel we’ve gone back many many years. Very depressing, he is running this club. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Seeing Tinnion’s interview made me feel we’ve gone back many many years. Very depressing, he is running this club. 

I very much saw his interview as “everything is going great boss, I swear”. 

He is as much under pressure as LM is imo. His first ‘man’, and he’s got it so horribly wrong it’ll either end up in a pretty early sacking, or begging Steve for more money than he’s interested in handing over as there’s about 3 players in this squad that suit LM’s style.

Combine that with the debacle of the academy lads being banished…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Try actually opening your eyes

Try following that advice yourself Sheltons Army enjoy wiping Egg off your face 😂 - Chippenham Red "Just catching up, been out all day and wasn’t at the game. If ever there was an unwelcome three points, it sounds like it might have been today. I worry these sort of empty victories just buy Manning more time to do more damage."

3 minutes ago, Travis said:

Try following that advice yourself Sheltons Army enjoy wiping Egg off your face 😂 - Chippenham Red "Just catching up, been out all day and wasn’t at the game. If ever there was an unwelcome three points, it sounds like it might have been today. I worry these sort of empty victories just buy Manning more time to do more damage."

Wooof Woooooof 

Pork Pie was generous 🤣

Triggered 🤣

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Travis said:

And yet you replied twice oh dear more Egg Scraping of the face what a sad little Dictator.

You seem upset and rattled Chump

🤣

Thanks for giving me something to laugh at so early in the week though

#HalfMullet   wooooof wooooooof

Edited by Sheltons Army

14 hours ago, Rob k said:

He’s got the summer for me. I’d rather the people above him were gone before him. 

I'm not happy with how we're playing or how he's setting us up, and I wouldn't be upset if we sacked him now - other than looking like a basket case like Watford / Birmingham / Stoke etc

However, if he's staying, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt over the summer and see what he can bring in and do with this team and re-judge him after the first dozen or so games next year.

I think he's failed the first test - can he get more out of this current lot? No, clearly not, if anything several players have regressed under him.

Second test is accepting this isn't his team, and whether we like it or not it's going to need change of personnel to play his way, so given a window and a pre-season what can he do... if after 10-12 games we're still playing this shit, boring style and also not getting results then it might be time to act.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

One thing we do know is that they don’t act quickly. Lansdown has said in the past how he dislikes the managerial roundabout and thinks folk should be given time. People can talk about an existing relationship with Lee Johnson, but look at what time he got, despite terrible runs of form. The Lansdowns clearly had issues with Nige a long time before they actually showed him the door. 

I'd be highly surprised if Manning was let go this season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

You seem upset and rattled Chump

🤣

Thanks for giving me something to laugh at so early in the week though

#HalfMullet   wooooof wooooooof

Not at all you seem to be replying with inane Gibberish clearly disturbed person. I hope you get that mental health help you need to protect the public and yourself 😊

12 hours ago, Alessandro said:

If Lansdown is really looking to flog BS, apart from assets such as the stadium and HPC, key elements of the value  must be players and projected revenue based upon SC sales and matchday revenue. I think Conway and Prings values have gone south and if Sundays attendance becomes the norm then that may have a marked effect on Stevies nest egg.

Even with an ego such as his, he would surely step in and clear the decks?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

If Lansdown is really looking to flog BS, apart from assets such as the stadium and HPC, key elements of the value  must be players and projected revenue based upon SC sales and matchday revenue. I think Conway and Prings values have gone south and if Sundays attendance becomes the norm then that may have a marked effect on Stevies nest egg.

Even with an ego such as his, he would surely step in and clear the decks?

This is why it’s hard to guess this time - comparisons with LJ not the same, as he was fully invested emotionally and financially - perhaps that was his last throw of the dice.

If he is looking to sell - value is everything and it seems he’s also looking for minimum investment from himself…AKA “Sustainability” 

He said what football earns, football spends - but we’ve not seen much of that Semenyo/Scott money yet - and there will be more in the summer - will we invest it? If the taps are limited this summer, fans will get restless.

So he absolutely needs to have a head coach/manager getting the team playing better than the sum of its parts - at the moment Manning is no where near doing that.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Superjack said:

He will get a significant amount more. 

They want to keep him, despite results. 

That's the difference. 

I hate them. And I am not one to use that word lightly.

Agree.....if only we had a frame of reference to observe....bad manager recruitment......throw bags of money at it to prove that they made the right decision......relatively decent cup run.......I guess we could end up risking breaching FFP rules 3 seasons after any manager like that left....

If only we had a historical precedent to look at......

🤪

• Like 2

Tough one. On the one hand, I think Manning should be sacked. With a few exceptions, the football has been s*** and he looks way out of his depth.

However, I also quite like that we've generally given managers time in the past. One of the most offputting things about modern football is constantly changing managers, including the huge payoffs which we as supporters have to ultimately pay through higher ticket prices etc.

I'd grudgingly give him the summer and some funds. Get rid when it looks like we are in a relegation fight - I'd expect that to come next season in any case.

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

I'm not happy with how we're playing or how he's setting us up, and I wouldn't be upset if we sacked him now - other than looking like a basket case like Watford / Birmingham / Stoke etc

However, if he's staying, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt over the summer and see what he can bring in and do with this team and re-judge him after the first dozen or so games next year.

I think he's failed the first test - can he get more out of this current lot? No, clearly not, if anything several players have regressed under him.

Second test is accepting this isn't his team, and whether we like it or not it's going to need change of personnel to play his way, so given a window and a pre-season what can he do... if after 10-12 games we're still playing this shit, boring style and also not getting results then it might be time to act.

That is very likely what the fans are going to have to stomach. I do feel for Manning as he is getting extra short shrift from a large amount of people on here I feel based more on anger at those above him.

What doesn’t help him is his lack of any real personality that would appeal to fans. Even LJ had a little bit of the cheeky chappy about him. We lost most weeks under Benny back in the day but we still liked him.

• Like 3