IGNORED

Tinnion on SotC

1960maaan

1 hour ago, lenred said:

A really good point that I overlooked in amongst the myriad of disbelief last night……It was really bad wasn’t it. I’m hoping that the lads he was talking about have already been told because if not it makes that part of the shit show a whole lot worse. 

I believe they have.  They have a “d-day” where they get told.  They might defer that decision on one or two, but essentially they all should know before Xmas to see whether they can get fixed up (if they want) in January.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, lenred said:

Agree. We desperately (and I can’t stress that word enough) need footballing nouse at this club. 

To be honest ….
A lot of City fans have been hoodwinked (me included) by Lansdown for many years. Chickens are finally coming home to roost for Lansdown. The Pat Lam showdown in front of the players just the latest meddling by an owner who has not got a scooby doo.

• Like 12
  • Flames 1

37 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

That has Steve Lansdown's fingerprints all over it.

Wouldn't be the first, or last, time he's stuck his oar in. The man just can't help himself, whatever the sport.

Here's Pat Lam just a few weeks ago:

"Steve Lansdown had a quiet word with me about playing the Bears way, he wanted to be excited about the way we play and I said I'd see what we can do". 

So because the owner was a bit bored at the rugger, he told the Coach to play a different way.

Says it all really. 

Wish he would give the same message to LM

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bat Fastard said:

Mehmeti shows flashes of real class but I have always been concerned with his lack of pace.  Given the size of fees in the transfer market, if he doesn't work out he can probably be sold without much loss or even at a profit.  Taken "in the round" with young recruits like Stokes and Murphy, Tins is clearly trying to get value for the club.  The Lansdown family reigning back on their already huge financial input and financial fair play rules are probably the driving reasons for the approach chosen by the club and being executed by Brian.  He deserves recognition for the value that he has brought the club. i find this pile on sickening for someone who has served the club in different roles so diligently for three decades.

You really think a League one club will pay over a million for him ?

He's proved he isn't up to Championship quality so no one from this league will take a punt on him for that money.

You can't just take the value signings and ignore the losses.

2 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Wish he would give the same message to LM

I don't because I know what my reaction would be as a player if some know-nothing Chairman came up to my manager and said that (out of principle and nowt to do with whether I liked the manager or not tbf).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

This is odd. I almost want to say it's a betrayal (although that word may be a little over the top) of the one thing that has been consistent and successful at our club over the past few years.

I honestly couldn't believe it when I heard it.

So, we’ve had “self-harm” (my original term) through to “sabotage” (not sure who coined that) to “betrayal”.

And some people think we should be “careful what we wish for” should they sell-up. Yeah, alright! Not!

14 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Whoever mentioned Mark Warburton yesterday, fair play, as he'd be a great shout to head up the footballing operation.

He was responsible for Brentford's entire internal restructure 10 years ago, which appears to have done alright. 

61 years old, out of work - what a shame it's pie in the sky to think the owners would employ anyone like him into that role. 

@Fuber did.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, lenred said:

Agree. We desperately (and I can’t stress that word enough) need footballing nouse at this club. 

The sad thing is that it simply will not happen so long as the Lansdowns are here. 

Whoever the manager/head coach is, they are set up to fail, because the Lansdowns will not cede control to anyone that knows more about football than they do.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Flames 1

38 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I have it on good authority that was in the dressing room in front of the Bears players too.

I would imagine quite a few on here have been there and seen that albeit much lower level. You just sit there as a player stone faced, like you care massively, and as soon as the bloke walks out of the room you are literally thinking "******* knuckle shuffler"............and when he's out of earshot have a laugh about it.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

It saddens me to hear talk of giving Manning money in the summer, but what is even more depressing is that it'll be for "one or two" signings ...

There's absolutely no way in living hell Manning has the talent to turn this squad into a top6 outfit with only 2 signings.

That's not going to get bums on seats is it Brian ... IS IT BRIAN. 

In fairness, much as I'd criticise much of Tinnion's interview, I do actually agree with that bit. I think we desperately need an attacking midfielder and a striker and, as those are both expensive positions, I'd rather we focused the budget on getting quality in in rather than spread it thinly and spend less on the 2 positions we need the most. There's obviously a question about depth in terms of goalkeepers but I genuinely think, if fit, then our defenders, centre-backs and midfielders - especially with Bird to come in - should be good enough at this level. If anything, I was actually reassured that we weren't going for yet another major squad overhaul. 

Obviously the elephant in the room is the bit in bold. I think the right manager could make our squad competitive with 2 quality signings. i am very far from convinced that Manning is the right manager. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The sad thing is that it simply will not happen so long as the Lansdowns are here. 

Whoever the manager/head coach is, they are set up to fail, because the Lansdowns will not cede control to anyone that knows more about football than they do.

On that basis they wouldn't even let a Jack Russell take charge of football matters then?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I wouldn’t say it’s tarnished anything for the 18s.  All it’s done is raise questions re the approach this season.  Probably not helped by Tins making it sound as if the notion came from “upstairs” because they wanted some silverware!  I hope he just poorly explained it…but poor form from the Ls if so.

Gimme, gimme, medal, medal!

wacky races lol GIF

I think your rationale is fine, but there is the flipside, that as you progress up the ages, the chances of keeping a group together diminishes anyway, natural fall off of some players, speedier progress of other.  So, play them at their ability level not their age level, in fact until this season, it’s been expose them higher up asap.  So a change in strategy, because of the owner’s wishes!

I have no real issues with it, but wouldn’t want to hold a player back either.  Some happy medium?  I would hope that first team takes priority where a conflict occurs.  As it happens I don’t LM is gonna play any of the 18s, so I’m not bothered.

Re 18s training.  Seems to have been a bit of inconsistency, some weeks none are up with the first team, other weeks they are.

I think FA youth Cup want is linked to getting investment/ a buyer. I'm sure anyone interested in the club will be wildly sold the academy and its successes and a bit of silverware would just enhance that. "35 million in academy player sales and won the FA youth cup this season" sounds quite attractive to a buyer. Shame the 1st team got f**ked over in the process. 

25 minutes ago, petehinton said:

And also, why take Yeboah, one of the 18s best players, out of the u18s and say he is ‘part of the first team now’ at the start of the season???

I wonder if that was in part Pearson, being 'awkward.'

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So, we’ve had “self-harm” (my original term) through to “sabotage” (not sure who coined that) to “betrayal”.

I know, and it is probably hyperbole. But I don't understand the rationale behind switching to a different model for one year in the hope of winning (and hosting the final - I thought it was very telling that Brian got excited by that prospect) of a junior cup competition.

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

And some people think we should be “careful what we wish for” should they sell-up. Yeah, alright! Not!

I'm feeling something in my bones that tells me there may be some changes in the pipeline. It may be mere hope but...Steve attended in person at the weekend, he's personally been involved in the background this season as well as claiming credit for the Scott sale in the summer. Not going with a new CEO. It just has the vibe, to me, of a business owner who has an offer on the table.

I know nothing. This feeling is based on my experience of working with such business owners. But I'll be watching with interest once we are mathematically confirmed as being in the Championship next season.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, lenred said:

A really good point that I overlooked in amongst the myriad of disbelief last night……It was really bad wasn’t it. I’m hoping that the lads he was talking about have already been told because if not it makes that part of the shit show a whole lot worse. 

With one exception that I genuinely think they still haven’t 100% made their mind up on, they do all know.

Several were told in December that they have no future with us, you can join the dots with many of the recent loanees.

As for Bajic, James Piercy hinted a little while ago that he’s looking to move on (probably back to France) this summer, so although this is a guess, I’d expect that conversation has also been had.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I know, and it is probably hyperbole. But I don't understand the rationale behind switching to a different model for one year in the hope of winning (and hosting the final - I thought it was very telling that Brian got excited by that prospect) of a junior cup competition.

I'm feeling something in my bones that tells me there may be some changes in the pipeline. It may be mere hope but...Steve attended in person at the weekend, he's personally been involved in the background this season as well as claiming credit for the Scott sale in the summer. Not going with a new CEO. It just has the vibe, to me, of a business owner who has an offer on the table.

I know nothing. This feeling is based on my experience of working with such business owners. But I'll be watching with interest once we are mathematically confirmed as being in the Championship next season.

The sellable asset/value is all related to Bristol Sport presumably unless he finds a buyer just for the football club? But that wouldn’t involve the stadium presumably. If any deal is done, it would be based on Championship survival we assume so yes, maybe something happens after safety is assured?
Quite frankly, I have had enough for the time being, until new owners arrive. However long that takes?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

self-implosion seems to be all the rage!

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

With one exception that I genuinely think they still haven’t 100% made their mind up on, they do all know.

Several were told in December that they have no future with us, you can join the dots with many of the recent loanees.

As for Bajic, James Piercy hinted a little while ago that he’s looking to move on (probably back to France) this summer, so although this is a guess, I’d expect that conversation has also been had.

Thanks Graham (and Dave). Good to know. 

6 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

The sellable asset/value is all related to Bristol Sport presumably unless he finds a buyer just for the football club? But that wouldn’t involve the stadium presumably. If any deal is done, it would be based on Championship survival we assume so yes, maybe something happens after safety is assured?
Quite frankly, I have had enough for the time being, until new owners arrive. However long that takes?

The mechanics and reasons for any takeover/investment have been discussed at length in other threads. Tinnion won't understand them so let's not go over them again on this thread.

But. The value of the whole group lies in the football club's potential for promotion to the premier league. Everything else is either pocket change or is directly related to that.

The club owns the stadium. The stadium will go with the club.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

You really think a League one club will pay over a million for him ?

He's proved he isn't up to Championship quality so no one from this league will take a punt on him for that money.

You can't just take the value signings and ignore the losses.

Recruitment is a process and we have analysts as well as Tins and the manager of the day, who has the last word. Nige regarded Mehmeti as his maverick. Of course, Tins gets the blame because it fits the pile on narrative.

I can’t think of one example of a successful club which has such an absurd model.

I’m sure SL wouldn’t fill the HL boardroom with nodding dogs and yes men - challenge and accountability is required for success. 

At the top end, Liverpool and Brighton clearly have a harmonious cultures - but I can't imagine they operate in a bubble whereby difference of opinion and tough conversations are discouraged. It’s just ridiculous. Neither JL nor Tinnion have the appropriate experience for their respective roles - JL could probably do a similar role with the Flyers or something, but not in such a competitive industry as football. 

In days gone by, further back even when Colin Sextone was here, I can’t imagine he just went along with the party line.

I honestly think the current regime’s would be satisfied with us being

1) mid table in the championship

2) successful youth setup

3) the occasional cup run

4) winning ‘social media club of the year’ or whatever it’s called

5) winning ‘family club of the year’ 

That wouldn’t require many tough conversations and is very comfortable measure of success. This is obviously completely different from what fans want as most would trade all of that for promotion. 

• Like 2

Tinnion is a core problem in this club, as he said, he's been here 30 years and the only positive input he's had was either playing football or coaching the youth, everything else he's been mediocre or absolute shit. 

No wonder he's happy right now, we beat Swansea at home, the bloke probably still has nightmares about Swansea at home after they smashed us 7-1 under his last game in charge of us as a manager. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the reasons we got rid of Pearson was because he's everything Tinnion wishes he was. 

As a young man I used to think Tinnion was a proper Bristol City player, now I think he's just a corporate stooge who has kissed asses all way to the top and his flip flopping answers don't help reassure anyone. 

• Like 2

I do think Tinnion is getting too much flack and Jon Lansclown is getting off lightly.

Tinnions fronted up and yes, it was a terrible interview.

But the buck stops with Jon Lansclown and it was him who ultimately sacked NP.

I dont want Manning sacked - i dont want tinnion sacked - if we get involved in a relegation battle, JL should go. He's responsible for derailing our season

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Obviously the elephant in the room is the bit in bold. I think the right manager could make our squad competitive with 2 quality signings. i am very far from convinced that Manning is the right manager. 

And to think all I wanted was 2 decent signings in August!

We we’re willing to pay £2.5m for Azaz, possibly more for Twine (Burnley wouldn’t budge), so money was there.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, David Brent said:

For me, the most disappointing comment from BT is that Liam is still learning.

How are we in the position where we’ve got a Head Coach, a Technical Director and a Chairman all learning on the job? 

Well Mr Brent if you were to ask me to name three geniuses, I probably wouldn't say Einstein, Newton... you know...

I'd go Lansdown, Tinnion, Manning... Sessions.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9