IGNORED

Tinnion on SotC

1960maaan

12 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

It’s an interesting point.

If you look at the “external” view of LM it’s pretty positive, coloured by the cup games and (gulp) Southampton. Dilks and Peach were on the other day barely believing there was unrest. You then also look at our six fingered Ipswich brethren.

90% of people who heard that interview would also be of the mind that something was up at the club, and that the FA Youth Cup decision had not been beneficial to Liam.

We’ve been in the eye of this, we’ve seen his weaknesses and that’s why several of us have come to the call we have. 

However, if Liam Manning were to walk away now then externally I don’t think his stock would be damaged. It could be framed as a nigh on impossible job.  That disregards that he’s taken the performance down several notches, but it’s an easy framing “I wanted to use youth but the batshit owner overruled me” etc etc

It’d be a brave move from Liam - and history shows that by jumping here from Oxford he didn’t really do due diligence and think long term - but a leaving under “it wasn’t what was on the tin” would I’d bet see him at another - better fitting, better run club at this level - while the still live possibility of a sacking in the next few months if things don’t improve puts him more in the frame for Northampton.

Some Coventry fans on Twitter think we made a good choice changing Pearson for Manning.

For whatever reason the former is underrated by fans of other clubs, like you say from the outside Manning is seen as doing fine.

Screenshot_20240312-175712_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1ba5cd04285d2574267db4a79d97bc62.jpg

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Firstly I don’t think he said “plan b”…just said we’d have 3 strikers, TC, NW and new Striker, who’d probably be from abroad because there aren’t any real options here and the work permit rules are now relaxed.  But Manning only plays one!

My gut feel, like you, is that when Twine is fit he might prefer two no10s…Twine and Knight, which I think lends itself to 3421.

What surprises me is that he’s not tried it much already in Twine’s a sense, he could’ve utilised Mehmeti (he has a couple of times, e.g. Wednesday / Coventry  away) and Knight, or even Sykes.  He used TGH v Forest in the cup.

So he’s had options.  I am intrigued how / where he’ll play Twine.  You’d think he’d be in proper contention on Saturday.

Yep, full of contradiction!

No chance Twine will be here next season imo. 

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Roe said:

If Manning has anything about him, he should be considering his own position imo. Imagine working for this lot

You’re clutching at straws, he’s not going to walk away from a contract with more than 3 years to run.

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

As I posted a few weeks ago, every club in the Championship has a CEO apart from us, Sheff Wed (in ownership turmoil) and bottom-of-the-table Rotherham.

My question to Steve and Jon would be, "what is it about the internal structure at City which makes it unique in not requiring a CEO?" Because that's the line they've taken. Apparently because we have Tinnion and Jon, we don't need a CEO. The internal structure is strong enough without one. I mean, WTF.... 

I feel embarrassed enough typing it out, christ knows how embarrassed they must feel. 

Surely It's deliberate as he thinks it makes the club more attractive to a buyer (Less people to pay off). 

Steve has thick skin and hasn't exactly been shy in telling us that it's his club.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

Mehmeti shows flashes of real class but I have always been concerned with his lack of pace.  Given the size of fees in the transfer market, if he doesn't work out he can probably be sold without much loss or even at a profit.  Taken "in the round" with young recruits like Stokes and Murphy, Tins is clearly trying to get value for the club.  The Lansdown family reigning back on their already huge financial input and financial fair play rules are probably the driving reasons for the approach chosen by the club and being executed by Brian.  He deserves recognition for the value that he has brought the club. i find this pile on sickening for someone who has served the club in different roles so diligently for three decades.

Don't agree with much of the rest but I do the highlighted bit. 

Service on and off over 30 years with the club should count for something. Respect, for a start, and a recognition that if not quite one of us, it would be impossible for him not to have genuine affection for a club whose fans used to belt out a song in his honour week after week.

Maybe Tins has been promoted to his level of incompetence, maybe he hasn't, but he isn't the devil incarnate, and if he has been, even if through underhandedness as has been suggested, the blame lies firmly with those who put him there.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

42 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

The lansdowns tried setting us up with ceo’s, but they couldnt get that right either.

They got it right then one left and the other one started telling them that they needed to do this and that so they got rid of him.

They don't like being challenged

• Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Malago said:

You’re clutching at straws, he’s not going to walk away from a contract with more than 3 years to run.

Maybe but I'm just trying to imagine if I was in his position, I'd be concerned with the support available to me

Probably won't be because most football clubs are also badly run so I guess it's not as noticeable from the inside

• Like 1

19 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

It saddens me to hear talk of giving Manning money in the summer, but what is even more depressing is that it'll be for "one or two" signings ...

There's absolutely no way in living hell Manning has the talent to turn this squad into a top6 outfit with only 2 signings.

That's not going to get bums on seats is it Brian ... IS IT BRIAN. 

This bit must have passed me by. Really doesn’t make a lot of sense does it, given how many will potentially leave in the summer. Unless he’s already planning on bringing some of the youth through, but with far less senior players that’s going to be interesting. 

Thought it was quite interesting RH thanking BT right at the end saying “I know you were only going to be talking about the U18s” 😂 he’s obviously happy talking about the successes of the U18s, the first team’s problems, not so much.  

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

The lansdowns tried setting us up with ceo’s, but they couldnt get that right either.

Lack of oversight - which Ashton now has at Ipswich with Gamechanger.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Don't agree with much of the rest but I do the highlighted bit. 

Service on and off over 30 years with the club should count for something. Respect, for a start, and a recognition that if not quite one of us, it would be impossible for him not to have genuine affection for a club whose fans used to belt out a song in his honour week after week.

Maybe Tins has been promoted to his level of incompetence, maybe he hasn't, but he isn't the devil incarnate, and if he has been, even if through underhandedness as has been suggested, the blame lies firmly with those who put him there.

I do get that it’s unpleasant reading at times and yes he’s done great things at the club as a player and in particular his time with the academy etc. but I also think the problem is largely one if his own making.

It isn’t just the NP situation that his honesty and behaviour has been called into question, he’s clearly not always behaved above board, or in a respectful manner, to other managers either. Danny Wilson comes to mind.

As I said in another post when you are found to have behaved dishonestly and get caught out, it’s very difficult to gain people’s trust again.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, spudski said:

No chance Twine will be here next season imo. 

I think you’re right, but I’m still waiting to find out how he wants to play.  If he sets up like he did Sunday but with Twine instead of Knight, you might start to get an idea that Knight is playing there as a compromise becayse Twine isn’t fit.  However, the one game Twine was fit, he played him and Knight as no10s.  So I kinda think that might be his preferred set up.

All will be revealed….maybe?

7 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

This bit must have passed me by. Really doesn’t make a lot of sense does it, given how many will potentially leave in the summer. Unless he’s already planning on bringing some of the youth through, but with far less senior players that’s going to be interesting. 

Thought it was quite interesting RH thanking BT right at the end saying “I know you were only going to be talking about the U18s” 😂 he’s obviously happy talking about the successes of the U18s, the first team’s problems, not so much.  

I think it’s clear we want a forward and a no10.

We’ve signed Bird, so that’s one of Williams, James and King sorted.

Maybe Murphy is a second of those three?

We've signed Stokes as the deputy no10.

I don’t think there’s a lot more in the midfield / attack to come.

I think the defence and goalkeeper depends on trading.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

Gould was great..unlucky in that he was head-hunted.

Ashton nearly ran us into the ground financially well him, Lee Johnson and Jon Lansdown 'overseeing' pretty much.

Alexander? Wasn't very inspiring or great on the comms but perhaps he did good things unseen and tbh a lot better than we have at present.

2 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

I do get that it’s unpleasant reading at times and yes he’s done great things at the club as a player and in particular his time with the academy etc. but I also think the problem is largely one if his own making.

It isn’t just the NP situation that his honesty and behaviour has been called into question, he’s clearly not always behaved above board, or in a respectful manner, to other managers either. Danny Wilson comes to mind.

As I said in another post when you are found to have behaved dishonestly and get caught out, it’s very difficult to gain people’s trust again.  

Yes, and I am aware of another situation where things were called into question, leading to the departure of another respected staff member, so a hat trick so to speak, and I have been extremely disappointed with all 3 departures.

In hindsight..... get on with it lads, but it's a shame the fond memories of Tins as a player are being tarnished.

6 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

Recruitment is a process and we have analysts as well as Tins and the manager of the day, who has the last word. Nige regarded Mehmeti as his maverick. Of course, Tins gets the blame because it fits the pile on narrative.

So in that vain NP gets credit too for Dickie. This thread though is about Tins and you referred to his value signings. I was merely pointing out that you have to counter balance that with his poor signings. Why have you made it about NP and not the subject matter.

• Like 3

I was not anticipating the “one or two signings” comment, worrying that seemed to be casually dropped in without clarification.

Also the Seb PH comment, really good if he can step up, would be great, hope it works, but it’s a big with respect to Newport level.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think you’re right, but I’m still waiting to find out how he wants to play.  If he sets up like he did Sunday but with Twine instead of Knight, you might start to get an idea that Knight is playing there as a compromise becayse Twine isn’t fit.  However, the one game Twine was fit, he played him and Knight as no10s.  So I kinda think that might be his preferred set up.

So you think Stokes and Knight will be that '10' pairing next season?

If that turns out to be the case, and we play a 3421, then I'm struggling to see how Sykes will fit in. Surely not on the right of the four? And Mehmetti on the left of the four? 

Again I don't think the hatred would be towards Tinns if he'd stayed in his role, he's acting as a voice where a CEO should be the one commenting. In a way I do feel for him as you can hear he's emotive and whethe we agree or disagree he cares unlike the days of Ashton. But that being said he's taken on the role and there are contradicting points that have come out.. if Manning came in, it was clear what we were doing and not watching us go backwards we'd mostly all be buzzing.. but it's backfired/ backfiring and there's no acknowledgement apart from ... He's "learning" his role.. ?!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

So you think Stokes and Knight will be that '10' pairing next season?

If that turns out to be the case, and we play a 3421, then I'm struggling to see how Sykes will fit in. Surely not on the right of the four? And Mehmetti on the left of the four? 

No, Stokes will be the deputy no10 for the main no10 signing - Twine or whoever.

Yes, was my thought too, which questions several players role going forward…Sykes (as you say), also Mehmeti.  Questions Mebude signing too. Probably means you need another CB also.

So, I’m hoping he has something different up his sleeve???  Hopefully get a feel for that in the remaining 9 games.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Slack said:

In a way I do feel for him as you can hear he's emotive and whethe we agree or disagree he cares unlike the days of Ashton

Yes, agree.  Some might say he only cares about himself.  I don’t buy that myself.  He has some flaws, but I think he cares about the club too.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Yes, and I am aware of another situation where things were called into question, leading to the departure of another respected staff member, so a hat trick so to speak, and I have been extremely disappointed with all 3 departures.

In hindsight..... get on with it lads, but it's a shame the fond memories of Tins as a player are being tarnished.

I do know what you mean it is difficult when someone you’ve admired, is being lambasted, but without labouring the point, it’s not without some justification. 

• Like 1

It just seems like a mess.

Going to a back 3 will only take us backwards, we won't have the resources for a whole overhaul yet I have this horrible feeling that they will double down and try to (as far as Financial Rules allow) prove themselves right.

I'm struggling to muster enthusiasm and optimism for the medium term. I don't think the squad is terrible, but needs some next level quality as well as playing to strengths and the structure is awful.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It just seems like a mess.

Going to a back 3 will only take us backwards, we won't have the resources for a whole overhaul yet I have this horrible feeling that they will double down and try to (as far as Financial Rules allow) prove themselves right.

I'm struggling to muster enthusiasm and optimism for the medium term. I don't think the squad is terrible, but needs some next level quality as well as playing to strengths and the structure is awful.

There is no evidence that a back 3 would take us backwards, just an unfounded opinion.

• Hmmm 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree with the majority of that - think as you note its Murphy and Bird in for James and Williams, which will reduce wages, but also mean our only midfielder with Champ experience in the last 12 months come end of season is Knight.
Think we sign a replacement for Twine in the summer - as I think the fee to sign him is laughably high and not value for money, if we do it also means that NP was outright sabotaged to an even greater extent than we believe already. There's a difference between backing for the right player and blowing the budget completely - but then we've done the same under LJ and likely not learned from it at all.

The one benefit for Tinnion - which should be difficult for him to muck up - is that with clubs slimming squad sizes down, like last summer, loads of players are becoming available on frees as things stand end of season. Just for the midfield alone if we wish to replace King, there are options including the likes of Browne, Mowatt, Shackleton, among others who have experience at this level all on frees end of season as things stand.

Sadly, as for the bold - if he doesnt, we're nailed on relegated if not primary candidates to be such next season as things stand. At least in my view. As on paper that squad with one or two additions has much less experience at this level - and Williams and James have had some very good performances in our only wins under Manning, its imperative they get their replacements - if not renewing either - right. I'd prefer some depth.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WeAreThePigs said:

There is no evidence that a back 3 would take us backwards, just an unfounded opinion.

If it wastes Sykes, if it reduces the effectiveness..what of McCrorie, Tanner? Bell?

2 10s as part of a front 3?

Vyner, Dickie and one of Atkinson or Naismith would be far from terrible but would we have the right component parts around them? Sykes at WingBack would be poor, 2 10s would Bell be among them?

Selling Conway for a big striker..?

It's not specifically just formation though, it just feeds into the wider picture.

Then if you do play the back 3 you need an ability to switch between back 3 and 4 in-game IMO.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Some Coventry fans on Twitter think we made a good choice changing Pearson for Manning.

For whatever reason the former is underrated by fans of other clubs, like you say from the outside Manning is seen as doing fine.

Screenshot_20240312-175712_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1ba5cd04285d2574267db4a79d97bc62.jpg

No.

• Like 1