IGNORED

Instead of this, say this!

17 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The Adam Murphy thread brings into focus once more just how bad our communication is. But it doesn’t need to be like this, and telling the truth doesn’t make you look stupid. Just off the top of my head, how much better would it have been if communication was the following:

Murphy

Instead of:

”He’s doing a long pre season”

Say: (my assumed position here)

When he performed his medical it was a deal we still wanted to do but there were some concerns - although not ones we expect to be long term - if the players right you take the gamble like Bournemouth did with Scotty. We’re just making sure everything is fully right medically and well then target for him to be fully in the swing of things for next season”

Medube

Instead of:

”He didn’t play due to work permit issues”  (now known to be a lie)

Say:

”For whatever reason it didn’t work out for him in Belgium. However it’s only six months ago that he was a great prospect in Man City’s academy so we’re loaning him to see where he is, and to see if it’s a deal we want to do longer term”

Targets

Instead of:

”We hope to be ten points better off”

Say:

”We want to be around the playoffs. It looks unlikely to happen this season, but it’s not far away in real terms so we expect that although it’s difficult to be top two due to parachute clubs we want to be right in the mix below that next season”

Performance

Instead of:

”Everyone was happy three weeks ago”  and “We played well in 19 of 20 games”

Say:

”The Southampton performance was the level we want to be at, and we probably haven’t been at that enough. The challenge is we need to get there every week and although I think in most games there have been signs, they haven’t hit that consistent level for 90 minutes often enough. And that’s the challenge for the staff and for the players, and it’s one we’ll meet”

Obviously this doesn’t have to be exact, but how much better would everyone be feeling with a bit of truth, professional communication and acknowledgment everything isn’t awesome? It’s not even that it’s a difficult thing to do or makes them look worse!

One problem here. You are intelligent and Tinnion isn’t 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Flames 3

30 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The Adam Murphy thread brings into focus once more just how bad our communication is. But it doesn’t need to be like this, and telling the truth doesn’t make you look stupid. Just off the top of my head, how much better would it have been if communication was the following:

Murphy

Instead of:

When he performed his medical it was a deal we still wanted to do but there were some concerns - although not ones we expect to be long term - if the players right you take the gamble like Bournemouth did with Scotty. We’re just making sure everything is fully right medically and well then target for him to be fully in the swing of things for next season”

Medube

Instead of:

Say:

”For whatever reason it didn’t work out for him in Belgium. However it’s only six months ago that he was a great prospect in Man City’s academy so we’re loaning him to see where he is, and to see if it’s a deal we want to do longer term”

Targets

Instead of:

Say:

”We want to be around the playoffs. It looks unlikely to happen this season, but it’s not far away in real terms so we expect that although it’s difficult to be top two due to parachute clubs we want to be right in the mix below that next season”

Performance

Instead of:

Say:

”The Southampton performance was the level we want to be at, and we probably haven’t been at that enough. The challenge is we need to get there every week and although I think in most games there have been signs, they haven’t hit that consistent level for 90 minutes often enough. And that’s the challenge for the staff and for the players, and it’s one we’ll meet”

Obviously this doesn’t have to be exact, but how much better would everyone be feeling with a bit of truth, professional communication and acknowledgment everything isn’t awesome? It’s not even that it’s a difficult thing to do or makes them look worse!

You sound perfect for the job!!  How many young players have you recruited, nursed through the academy into the first team and then on to the Premier League?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Facepalm 10

2 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

You sound perfect for the job!!  How many young players have you recruited, nursed through the academy into the first team and then on to the Premier League?

You do realise that when a player comes through our academy and is sold on, that is down to numerous individuals within the club, not just being 'nursed' by Brian Tinnion, right?

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

You do realise that when a player comes through our academy and is sold on, that is down to numerous individuals within the club, not just being 'nursed' by Brian Tinnion, right?

Of course I know that. But many realise that Brian Tinnion is a very important part of that process and are prepared to give him a degree of credit for his input.

25 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

One problem here. You are intelligent and Tinnion isn’t 

You might be giving me too much credit!

25 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

You after a job Mr Dante?

Just goes to show how un-qualified tinnion is for this role. 

Well if Dave Barton can..

11 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Congratulations on missing the point spectacularly again. It’s not about what’s being done, it’s about how things are being communicated. All I’m saying is if they’d communicated a bit more openly and professionally (and in the case of Medube at least not totally bullshitted) then there may be more openness to forgiving their foibles. But yeah, make the thread about something it’s not if it suits your agenda.

• Like 8
  • Flames 3
  • Robin 1

Depends on the reason for the lie i suppose, and some things might be commercially sensitive, or confidential, such as the mccrorie thing, and was only discussed further when mccrorie was ready to discuss it, and that was a million pound signing where information was withheld. If murphy has some kind of ongoing situation that we missed/ glossed over, it doesnt paint anyone in a great light if we still went ahead with the deal, they might feel the lie/ withholding information is worth it, even if it eventually comes out!

3 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Depends on the reason for the lie i suppose, and some things might be commercially sensitive, or confidential, such as the mccrorie thing, and was only discussed further when mccrorie was ready to discuss it, and that was a million pound signing where information was withheld. If murphy has some kind of ongoing situation that we missed/ glossed over, it doesnt paint anyone in a great light if we still went ahead with the deal, they might feel the lie/ withholding information is worth it, even if it eventually comes out!

How about Medube?

6 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Disclosing undisclosed fees on the radio is hardly indicative of someone with a good grasp of the Commercially sensitive side!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

52 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Murphy

Instead of:

Medube

Instead of:

Say:

Targets

Instead of:

Say:

Performance

Instead of:

Say:

I've been banging on for years about how awful the PR is at this club.

The Holden appointment, the Nige sacking, Lansdown on Nige, Lansdown on investment....

If Tinnion isn't a natural PR guy, why doesn't someone help him? Bad PR just enrages the fans, especially if the facts don't match up with the bungled explanations.

Just now, mozo said:

I've been banging on for years about how awful the PR is at this club.

The Holden appointment, the Nige sacking, Lansdown on Nige, Lansdown on investment....

If Tinnion isn't a natural PR guy, why doesn't someone help him? Bad PR just enrages the fans, especially if the facts don't match up with the bungled explanations.

The silly thing is in the examples above (other than Medube) I’m not even really moving far from what was said - all that’s being done is a bit more openness and ensuring what was meant was understood. It shouldn’t be this hard!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Easy, you hire a PR person.

Most companies have a comms team who prep people for public or even internal communications. It's not rocket science. Employ someone with a bit of savvy to spin these statements into something more encouraging as per @Silvio Dantepost

• Like 2

Just now, Silvio Dante said:

How about Medube?

Im not totally aware of the situation with mebude, im no expert on eu/ belgian work permit legislation, if someone did lie about that, then it seems rather pointless. he may have unsuccessfully tried to apply for an eu member country passport or something, and therefore was not eligible for a work permit, ive no idea?

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Murphy

Instead of:

Medube

Instead of:

Say:

Targets

Instead of:

Say:

Performance

Instead of:

Say:

Your asking for people to change their nature,,quite a big ask ...

20 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Of course I know that. But many realise that Brian Tinnion is a very important part of that process and are prepared to give him a degree of credit for his input.

Yes well done Brian, you are one cog in a big machine.

I think the vast majority have given and do give him credit for his part in that process - but I also think some want to give him more credit than he might actually be due, in that process.

And I also think the vast majority of fans also believe that, regardless, all of that doesn't add up to justify the promotion into the position he is now in at the club.

• Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Im not totally aware of the situation with mebude, im no expert on eu/ belgian work permit legislation, if someone did lie about that, then it seems rather pointless. he may have unsuccessfully tried to apply for an eu member country passport or something, and therefore was not eligible for a work permit, ive no idea?

To just give the full SP, both Tinnion and Manning said that DM hadn’t played in Belgium due to work permit issues (I think Liams quote was along the lines of DM hadn’t played for 3 months because of it) - @Curr Avon got in touch with a Belgian journalist and it transpired that DM had missed one day of a training camp in Turkey due to visa issues and that was it.

It was a bizarre thing to lie about and my only explanation is they wanted to make the signing seem more of a coup than it was.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Yes well done Brian, you are one cog in a big machine.

I think the vast majority have given and do give him credit for his part in that process - but I also think some want to give him more credit than he might actually be due, in that process.

And I also think the vast majority of fans also believe that, regardless, all of that doesn't add up to justify the promotion into the position he is now in at the club.

It is a game of opinions, and I think he is doing a good job and has done a good job in the past - both as a player and running the academy.  I think it also likely that the lean and mean management structure is an artefact of the bean counters who run the club. Brian has become the scapegoat. Unfairly in my humble opinion.

The sh*t communication comes from the very top. BT is just a disciple who's not that clever so the bullsh*t isn't articulated as well as the lansclowns even though theirs is still transparent. They think we are stupid & will buy it 🤡

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Easy, you hire a PR person.

Most companies have a comms team who prep people for public or even internal communications. It's not rocket science. Employ someone with a bit of savvy to spin these statements into something more encouraging as per @Silvio Dantepost

I think the bean counters will be of the opinion that a PR person would be an expensive luxury.  I reckon that they could get a more enthusiastic following with better communications, but what do I know?

19 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

It very much seems to me that lying is a norm for a number of City/Bristol Sport people.

A culture where one can question no matter your position in the hierarchy wouldn't have people lying as a matter of course.  But we don't have that do we?

I don't think Pearson lied about Mcrorie. Suspect he simply didn't answer or gave a very vague answer.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

Club management coming clean with "the player got here and it turns out he is ####" might not be very motivating for the players who you are being really honest about, not particularly enhance your chances of selling him on later....

Where I can see a potential issue is if Manning starts improving results and performances, no longer has to go with everything he's told to ensure his pay cheque is secure, and starts saying things like "I'm not saying that, I don't care what the party line is". The Senior staff at Bristol Sport see fans as the enemy. It's not "our supporters" it's "them", "they" etc. etc.

43 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

You might be giving me too much credit!

Well if Dave Barton can..

Congratulations on missing the point spectacularly again. It’s not about what’s being done, it’s about how things are being communicated. All I’m saying is if they’d communicated a bit more openly and professionally (and in the case of Medube at least not totally bullshitted) then there may be more openness to forgiving their foibles. But yeah, make the thread about something it’s not if it suits your agenda.

When your first reaction is to jump to defend the club / staff member it’s hardly surprising you miss the point in the first place. It’s not even an opinion, it’s just spouting a “mantra” with no / little context.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

They just can't help themselves. 

Pathological.

14 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Where I can see a potential issue is if Manning starts improving results and performances, no longer has to go with everything he's told to ensure his pay cheque is secure, and starts saying things like "I'm not saying that, I don't care what the party line is". The Senior staff at Bristol Sport see fans as the enemy. It's not "our supporters" it's "them", "they" etc. etc.

There will be no issue. 

He'll be out.

• Like 1