IGNORED

Is Weimann allowed to play against us on Saturday?

spudski

18 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

No he cant

Yes we do

No he can’t, it is against league rules for a loanee to play against his host club in an EFL match.  So not in his contract, but in the rule book! 😉

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Davefevs said:

No he can’t, it is against league rules for a loanee to play against his host club in an EFL match.  So not in his contract, but in the rule book! 😉

Everyday is a learning day...didn't know that. 👍

• Like 2

We would have been better off having TGH sit this one out as a loanee and having Andi available for us for not only this game but all the other games he has missed for us since his loan. When we can’t get anywhere near filling a matchday bench it seems ridiculous that we let the club captain go out on loan,especially to a team who were occupying one of our ‘top 6’ positions 😂. There again, ridiculous just about sums us up at the moment.

• Flames 1

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

Can he play for us?

Even better would be if Corberan & Manning lined up both first team squads & then took it in turns to pick a player*, firstly it would improve our chances of a point & secondly we might actually fill the subs bench for the first time in ages.

* takes me back to junior school, circa 1973..

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, FNQ said:

We would have been better off having TGH sit this one out as a loanee and having Andi available for us for not only this game but all the other games he has missed for us since his loan. When we can’t get anywhere near filling a matchday bench it seems ridiculous that we let the club captain go out on loan,especially to a team who were occupying one of our ‘top 6’ positions 😂. There again, ridiculous just about sums us up at the moment.

Agree, but once we made the decision that we didn’t want to offer him a new contract & with the rumour of an appearance clause triggering another one if he stayed, this made sense, particularly as we didn’t expect Twine (25 appearances for Hull) to then get injured after one game for us.

I like Andi & personally would have kept him on (FWIW Matty James, too) but the club clearly see it differently.

TGH baffles me, I’m not sure he’s Manning’s type of player but he must have signed off making it a permanent arrangement.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Even better would be if Corberan & Manning lined up both first team squads & then took it in turns to pick a player*, firstly it would improve our chances of a point & secondly we might actually fill the subs bench for the first time in ages.

* takes me back to junior school, circa 1973..

Mannings first pick would be Mehmeti!

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think clubs can agree in League Cup (Carabao) to allow, but not League games.

I really thought that teams could opt out . In my head I thought it was standard not to be able to play, but if both teams agreed they could.  
Strange they can in the Cup though.

WBA's squad excluding youth players isn't that much bigger tbh.

Injuries are a differentiating factor.

Townsend, Phillips, Maja, Dike

Vs

*Deep breath*

Tanner, Atkinson

James, Naismith

Benarous

Twine (until Sunday), Bell

Albeit given the extreme length of injuries to Atkinson and Benarous plus the McCrorie issue as soon as he joined we are light.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, FNQ said:

It is bizarre that a top 6 club saw him as a signing that would improve them - and we, sat several places lower and with an injury hit squad, decided he wasn't required.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Agree, but once we made the decision that we didn’t want to offer him a new contract & with the rumour of an appearance clause triggering another one if he stayed, this made sense, particularly as we didn’t expect Twine (25 appearances for Hull) to then get injured after one game for us.

I like Andi & personally would have kept him on (FWIW Matty James, too) but the club clearly see it differently.

TGH baffles me, I’m not sure he’s Manning’s type of player but he must have signed off making it a permanent arrangement.

Didn't know about this appearance clause

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

August 1997; The next away fixture was at Northampton where Crambe opened the scoring for City. David Seal equalised and then laid on the winner for Northampton. For some reason John Ward permitted him to play against City despite the game falling during the loan period.

20 minutes ago, 22A said:

August 1997; The next away fixture was at Northampton where Crambe opened the scoring for City. David Seal equalised and then laid on the winner for Northampton. For some reason John Ward permitted him to play against City despite the game falling during the loan period.

Yep, recall that too.  Rules changed since.

Is the UK the only nation in Europe that has these loan rules? It's certainly common in Spain and Germany for loan players to play against their parent club. I certainly wouldn't have a problem with Weimann playing. It doesn't say much for the confidence of a team that they're running scared about their own player beating them. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Am I right in thinking the last player to appear against us, while on loan, is Carl Hutchings? 

Apologies, looks like he did in 2000, no recollection of it at all.

Edited by GrahamC

On 13/03/2024 at 13:37, GrahamC said:

Agree re TGH. A Manning signing as far as I'm concerned. He could have vetoed it and had a million or so in the pot this summer instead.