IGNORED

Tifo - how to develop young players

chinapig

Some of you might be interested in today's Tifo Football podcast on developing young players:

https://theathletic.com/podcast/197-the-tifo-football-podcast/

Lots of informative stuff but I was struck by the section where they discuss the problems with training young players in only one tactical system in the light of our aim to have all our teams playing the same way.

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

Some of you might be interested in today's Tifo Football podcast on developing young players:

Lots of informative stuff but I was struck by the section where they discuss the problems with training young players in only one tactical system in the light of our aim to have all our teams playing the same way.

What did I say the other day!!

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

Slightly different, but I remember a little film on Ajax (I think) , 20-30 years ago. They had the young players playing in every position so they could understand what other players were going through. Then become more rounded players. The same thing has surely got to apply with systems. Become a one trick pony and it will stunt development. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Slightly different, but I remember a little film on Ajax (I think) , 20-30 years ago. They had the young players playing in every position so they could understand what other players were going through. Then become more rounded players. The same thing has surely got to apply with systems. Become a one trick pony and it will stunt development. 

Yes, Ajax and Total Football came to my mind too. Rinus Michels is usually credited with it though Austria in the 30s and Hungary in the 50s took a similar approach.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Indeed you did Dave. I wonder if our technical director has thought this through?

Stupid question! 😁

Give it a while , they have a lot of Posts to go through on here ;)

Hi  Brian

Tom Hanks Hello GIF

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Old Nigel Pearsonsauras said it was good for Alex Scott to play RB / RWB so he’d appreciate passing receipt angles from the other person’s viewpoint.

Bergkamp played a lot at RB iirc.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

This is a story of one, and of a much lesser sporting nation vs England when it comes to football, but I lived in Australia as a kid for a few years and was told after my first training session at the team I joined (would’ve been 7 or 8 at the time) that for my build at that age and the fact I was left footed I NEEDED to consider being a left back in the future (was a striker at the time, who wasn’t…). Also highly recommended I joined the basketball team as well because I was tall for my age, and something to do with my running style too. Maybe I was just really bad…

Low and behold, I ended up being a left back at about 15/16, a key age especially as someone on the periphery of academies at the time too, cause I’d lost any speed advantage I had once puberty had properly hit everyone, but was far too late to learn something so different so fast. 

Found it all odd as ****, naturally, but in hindsight it’s an extremely interesting and useful take vs the ‘do whatever you enjoy’ type approach we have here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

It was called Total Football back then. Seems to have gone of fashion tho.

14 hours ago, chinapig said:

Exposing kids to variables systems of play, is wildly thought to be not beneficial. Young players lack the cognitive understanding. Episodic training does not create deeper learning versus periodized training.  

Bristol City don't train young players only one way, and most clubs do not either. Young players go through age related phases and the training reflects the age related priorities. Tactics at early ages are very rudimentary (understanding), skill creation is the priority. Players at early ages will generally play in multiple positions at academies, and development centres through foundation and youth stages. 

Post youth stage is professional development. Clubs do not play one system, systems are playing systems, variables of playing systems, and these playing systems won't be one formation systems. Even Ajax and Barcelona don't use one system.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Exposing kids to variables systems of play, is wildly thought to be not beneficial. Young players lack the cognitive understanding. Episodic training does not create deeper learning versus periodized training.  

Bristol City don't train young players only one way, and most clubs do not either. Young players go through age related phases and the training reflects the age related priorities. Tactics at early ages are very rudimentary (understanding), skill creation is the priority. Players at early ages will generally play in multiple positions at academies, and development centres through foundation and youth stages. 

Post youth stage is professional development. Clubs do not play one system, systems are playing systems, variables of playing systems, and these playing systems won't be one formation systems. Even Ajax and Barcelona don't use one system.  

Thanks, it's always interesting to get an alternative take. Which take I should choose I have no idea!😁

Given what you say it seems odd for the club to say we are going to play the same way at all levels. Then again clarity of thought and words is not a feature of the club right now.

14 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Thanks, it's always interesting to get an alternative take. Which take I should choose I have no idea!😁

Given what you say it seems odd for the club to say we are going to play the same way at all levels. Then again clarity of thought and words is not a feature of the club right now.

There it is clarity. Communication. 

The same way throughout the club cannot be the same. The pedant in me notes you cant play the same way when academy teams at early ages play seven a side, nine, and at U13 this becomes eleven. Through those stages kids are training through a syllabus that creates skills, they (kids) cant deal with lots of tactics and input mentally, this promotes slower learning, so young players are going through stages, like terms focussing on topics, using learning activities that drip in technical aspects and tactical aspects slowly over months and years. Through small sided games and in non competitive football players play a variety of positions, its development. 

The U16 - U21 to XI are not doing the above. They are not playing the same formations and are not approaching games with the same intent.