IGNORED

Mark Robins-Discuss

snodge

• Admin
50 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Has a soft spot for us with that loan spell

So by your theory because he played 6 games on loan for us over 21 years ago you think he wants to become our Manager 

No offence but I assume you realise he played for NINE other clubs more than us, what makes you think he has any interest in coming to us? 

• Flames 1

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

So by your theory because he played 6 games on loan for us over 21 years ago you think he wants to become our Manager 

No offence but I assume you realise he played for NINE other clubs more than us, what makes you think he has any interest in coming to us? 

Tbf he has applied for the job on 2-3 occasions. 

Maybe he feels like he has some unfinished buisness here? Liked the area etc? 

• Facepalm 1

• Admin
2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Tbf he has applied for the job on 2-3 occasions. 

Maybe he feels like he has some unfinished buisness here? Liked the area etc? 

Did he though? 

Or was it just social media chat? 

Not a chance someone that has played so many games for so many other clubs feels he has unfinished business 21 years later

At best he'd have been living out of a hotel if he even moved to the area at all for the month with us. 

His career was basically over by the time he played for us so not sure what he would think is unfinished decades later 

• Flames 1

• Admin
On 16/03/2024 at 17:19, snodge said:

Ooops posted on the wrong part of the forum......So as I said in general chat.........I cant recall if he applied/interviewed....he's doing rather well....meanwhile we have found reverse gear.....again...

It's amusing how every time Coventry get a high profile result this thread pops up again 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

It's amusing how every time Coventry get a high profile result this thread pops up again 

I expect the Cov forum has a thread on Manning after every high profile result we have…. I’ll check when we actually get one. 

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, phantom said:

Let’s not forget,  he was also here at the height of Steve's meddling. 

• Like 1

I think the moment where we might have appointed Robins has long gone but it does make you think about the quality of managers who have an association to us vs the quality of manager we have appointed.

David Moyes, Sean Dyche, Gary O’Neil, Mark Robins, Liam Rosenior and Luke Williams all have enough of a connection to make you think, at one time or another, they might just have fancied the job. But they have all been given their managerial breakthroughs by other clubs whereas the inexperienced managers we have appointed have never panned out.

It seems to me - from the McInnes, Johnson, Holden and Manning appointments - that Steve Lansdown is desperately keen to be credited for giving a young manager a breakthrough and getting the kudos for the club seeing their potential. But, time and again, we appoint the wrong young managers whilst legitimately promising managerial talent slips through our fingers.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think the moment where we might have appointed Robins has long gone but it does make you think about the quality of managers who have an association to us vs the quality of manager we have appointed.

David Moyes, Sean Dyche, Gary O’Neil, Mark Robins, Liam Rosenior and Luke Williams all have enough of a connection to make you think, at one time or another, they might just have fancied the job. But they have all been given their managerial breakthroughs by other clubs whereas the inexperienced managers we have appointed have never panned out.

It seems to me - from the McInnes, Johnson, Holden and Manning appointments - that Steve Lansdown is desperately keen to be credited for giving a young manager a breakthrough and getting the kudos for the club seeing their potential. But, time and again, we appoint the wrong young managers whilst legitimately promising managerial talent slips through our fingers.

Luke WIlliams? His contribution to last week was enough for me tbh.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

Don’t forget that other young manager given a break by SL… Brian something or other, Geordie bloke. 

• Haha 1

IIRC wasn't he 50:50 when we appointed McInnes? I might be dreaming.

Anyway, according to R5, it's a two-man team: Robins does all the man-management, his right hand fella (can't remember his name) does all the tactics.

And - key point - they gave him time to do it all. He's been there since Stonehenge was going through planning.

• Haha 1

I just don't get the insistence of so many posters on here to not allow fellow supporters of Bristol City who can only get through each and every day being a Bristol City supporter by hiding their head inside a dream, by creating their own Bristol City "reality," and forcing upon them instead the painful truth.

Just leave @Shauntaylor85 be, let him be with his dream. If we only had ambition, SL would pick up the phone and Robins would pop in his car and be here by midday. And then everything Cov are enjoying right now, we would be enjoying instead.

I like it!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

IIRC wasn't he 50:50 when we appointed McInnes? I might be dreaming.

Anyway, according to R5, it's a two-man team: Robins does all the man-management, his right hand fella (can't remember his name) does all the tactics.

And - key point - they gave him time to do it all. He's been there since Stonehenge was going through planning.

Nope you haven’t dreamt it, he was.

That was in 2011 by the way, but some fantasists on here think the fact he applied 13 years ago means he would be interested now.

Don’t get me started on the “Robins loves the area” horseshit, he was on loan here for 5 weeks in 2003!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I take it you've never been to Coventry? 

You actually think he lives there?

Gary O’Neil lives in Wolverhampton? Michael Carrick In Middlesbrough?

1 hour ago, Mendip City said:

Don’t forget that other young manager given a break by SL… Brian something or other, Geordie bloke. 

True! And, come to that, I forgot Millen too. 

I do think there is a key thing here though. There’s a perception amongst as fans that Lansdown tends to go for inexperienced managers due to a desire for “yes men” or cheap options. But, whilst I am not saying either of those things is entirely untrue, I suspect we massively understate and underestimate the degree to which managerial appointments are driven by a desire for the club - and, by extension, Lansdown - to get publicly recognised for an ability to spot a talented but untested manager, show patience during rough patches and ultimately not only succeed but succeed with a talent we “found” first. 

Unfortunately it has so far only resulted in us giving the wrong managers far longer than we should have done and I fear the cycle is currently repeating.

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Probably lives somewhere like Leamington Spa.

However Coventry is a concrete jungle. 

Concrete jungle, animals are after me 
Concrete jungle, it ain't safe on the streets 
Concrete jungle, glad I got my mates with me