IGNORED

Liam Fontaine

Was so close to leaving us and moving to Southampton but prevented by injury. 

They went onto the Premier League soon after - I sometimes wondered whether he could have adapted and thrived. When he played well he was a brilliant defender.

Sadly it co-incided with his loss of form for us and he was never the same again.

Worth bearing in mind before his obvious struggles at the end of his time with us he cost us £50k & played over 250 games for us, including that playoff final.

Decent player in our most successful era since the top flight.

• Like 7

Years ago, there was a thread on here about people naming their children after city players. My son is called Liam - my wife will tell you it’s after Gallagher but it’s because I went through the city squad at the time to come up with suitable names and we didn’t like Adriano, Bradley, Jamie etc but were set on Liam.

He’s come to regret our choice in the last few months!

But, here is the comment I left on that thread:

”My son is named Liam, after Liam Fontaine.

In a bizarre coincidence, he started off looking like a fantastic addition to the family and fitted in really well. However as time has gone on, he’s become a real disappointment and to be frank a bit of a pain in the ass”

Love you fonts. Nobody could or should have been asked to play next to Nyatanga. 38 years old, a (non) hit record and 20 years as a pro. Best of luck.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

For someone my age, my memory isn’t amazing. 

I recall him being solid, if unspectacular. 

But most of all I remember going to Northampton away;

Coventry 5-4 Bristol City. 

Sorry Fonts. That’s my lasting memory. 

46 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Always felt he gave his best. That dip in form was dramatic but his career carried on. Good luck to him in his retirement. 

is anyone else from our team of that era still playing? Can’t think of anyone off the top of my head. 

Nicky Maynard playing for Macclesfield. Steven Caulker player manager of Malaga City apparently. Fonts played with a young Bobby DeCordova Reid, Joe Bryan and Wes Burns. Caulker and Fontaine were a cracking pairing for that one season. Thought Liam was a really classy footballer. Was sad to see him go through such a drop in form and the criticism he received during that time. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

For someone my age, my memory isn’t amazing. 

I recall him being solid, if unspectacular. 

But most of all I remember going to Northampton away;

Coventry 5-4 Bristol City. 

Sorry Fonts. That’s my lasting memory. 

Attendance of about 3000ish, of which 2000ish were from Bristol!

If my memory serves me correctly!

Edited by Redtucks

4 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Hes was shit for the majority of his time here especially when he was given the armband 

That’s not how I recall it at all. Thought he was a really decent player for us for years. His form dropped off a cliff after that failed move to Soton.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Simon79 said:

Good player for City, had ability to make the next step. Should have been taken out of the firing line by Mciness, instead kept him in & his confidence dropped off a Cliff. COYR 

I thought the same,Mcinnes should have left him out of the side for a while.He was getting unbelievable stick from fans and in my opinion didn’t deserve that.

• Like 1