IGNORED

Tinnion or Manning?

Tinnion or Manning  

304 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

Just using the analogy of not sacking a manager when a lot of fans wanted him out....it happens to every club in the league, it's a given when things aren't going well. I've been on OTIB for a long time and it's happened to every previous manager....even some perceived messiahs. 

This is true and there was a lot of discontent when Pearson arrived and things seemed to get worse than under Holden. NP did make some clunky moves in his early days here (eg: bringing in sloth-paced wifebeater Danny Simpson) but I think the slightly more clued-up fans realised that with Pearson it would be a slow burn: he'd rebuild totally and set up a footballing philosophy. And that wasn't a job he was allowed to finish.

Why Pearson was cut more slack after appointment is that we could see the direction of travel under DH - freefall - and we knew Pearson had achieved, and achieved mightily, at a club that had been a bit similar in the past.  That isn't something we can say about Manning. 

• Like 7
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

The problem is if we say sacked only Manning the root of the problem BT is still there. He was a great player and very poor manager i remember tales that the players couldnt stand him . I would probably keep him as Academy director but have him nowhere near the 1st team or recruitment he's proved by his time as manager he's clueless. Sack Both

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I agree with you, I think, but that "might be" in your fourth sentence is doing some serious heavy lifting in your logic!

I don't know but I get the feeling when the wheels are really coming off Steve steps in and tries to sort it out. I guess you opted to ditch Manning that's your best shot of getting an ok outcome? I can't believe I'm saying that...

It is. And one of the things I was wrong about when I was fine with Pearson leaving is that I overestimated the ability of the bosses to give good thought to the appointment of the successor. I guess I thought that they had managed to appoint Pearson so should be capable of working out how to appoint someone who could progress the squad rather than a person who would bring a stubborn dogma, and insist that the squad change and be moulded (expensively) into the form he needs.

So yeh. I misjudged.

Ultimately though I think the Club needs real change, and that will only come from the top. Even the most ardent Nigephile will surely admit that his successes, his culture, was a thin sheet of ice covering and concealing the dark depths of an abyss of talent at board and ownership level. Even were we to appoint someone similar to Pearson, or even him again, the best we could hope for was another sheet of ice. The rest, the real problem, would still be there.

So sack the most senior person we can. Change the top.

Maybe I'll spend tomorrow calling round some private equity and corporate finance friends to see if anyone's keen?

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 5

If I was to have the say between LM & BT, I would get rid of BT, then just maybe someone would come in with the balls to sack LM. If LM is to go first then we're still stuck with BT to appoint another failure.

Don't think either will happen soon but I'm :pray: & :pray:.

• Like 4

There is no easy fix for this mess. No CEO, a DOF who isnt anywhere near qualified for the role, with a head coach who is clearly miles out of his depth. Not to mention the owners son as chairman - what other championship club has such a weak governance structure? The reason I was so fully behind NP, was because he was the only grown up in the club, and I feared that this is how it would be without him. 

Edited by Bobtherobin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

Manning goes , the team that chose him choose the next bloke, and with their ideas of continuity it will be Warnock's ling ball. 

Tinnion goes and we are stuck with a bloke whos plan B is strangle the life out of games and bore (us and ) teams to death.

Season 1 Rock GIF by Friends

It's got to be both as leaving one here will not fix any of the problems, 

I voted Manning just because the idea of 6 more months of his boring football makes me feel ill I think I would have definitely stopped going regularly if he was here that long 

5 minutes ago, Bobtherobin said:

No CEO, a DOF who isnt anywhere near qualified for the role, with a head coach who is clearly miles out of his depth. Not to mention the owners son as chairman - what other championship club has such a weak governance structure?

There are other clubs with elements of that set-up, but we're unique in having all together. 

The lack of an experienced and forceful CEO is a big issue for us. It's allowing the club to spiral into relegation candidates and promises to undo all the forward momentum.

It's hard not to think of Tinnion as the Grima Wormtongue to Lansdown's King Theoden. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Because Robins is a good manager who’s been allowed time. Wonder where NP would have had us after 7 years.

So true.  

Being patient and giving a manager time only works when you’ve got a good one to start with.  A poor manager is unlikely to get better, regardless of how long you give them, so the skill is knowing when to stick or twist.  

Unfortunately under SL’s tenure, he’s consistantly demonstrated a habit of backing and sacking the wrong ones.

It’s ironic that Coventry looked a basket case a few years back under SISU, but look at them now.  It certainly makes you realise what a total mess Lansdown has turned us into.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

You learn something new every timeon the odd occasion on here, thanks. Still need to choose between Hitler and Himmler, though .....

I understand Hitler wouldn't come out of his bunker after losing 7-1 to Swansea the Russian Army. 

2 hours ago, Fuber said:

Manning.

Someone with a back bone to stir hornets nest and stop Tinnion interfering.

I don’t get the logic. Tinnion’s never going to help appoint someone with a larger ego than him. Tinnion has to go . Not back to the academy but out of the club completely . It won’t happen because he’s the only one with any idea about the game. He is a Lansdown lap dog .  I really do not trust any of them . We need to be sold because the lansdowns are slowly killing us . 

Both obviously, but I went for Manning.

This club will obviously never achieve anything while it’s been ran by Jon Lansdown and Brian Tinnion, but in the short term I can’t stomach any more of this football offered by this manager.

For 90 minutes on a Saturday I should be able to forget about the endless mistakes this club makes and just watch the football. Under Liam Manning watching the football is torture.

1 hour ago, CityCiderEd said:

This was from a Coventry City fan after the Wolves game....food for thought. 

Screenshot_20240317_104555_X.jpg

In fairness Robins has built it over 7 years…. 7 years of pretty much non-stop success, they’ve been progressing all the time and there would have been little or no reason to consider Robins’ position.

I bet he’s not had many 5 defeat in 6 games runs or left the fans bored senseless on a regular basis. 

8 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I don’t get the logic. Tinnion’s never going to help appoint someone with a larger ego than him. Tinnion has to go . Not back to the academy but out of the club completely . It won’t happen because he’s the only one with any idea about the game. He is a Lansdown lap dog .  I really do not trust any of them . We need to be sold because the lansdowns are slowly killing us . 

Slowly? They’ve got the afterburners on at the moment.?.

54 minutes ago, Red Army 79 said:

I understand season ticket holders in the south stand renewing as if they don’t before the deadline they won’t be able to get a season ticket in that stand.

hopefully they renew on the last day.

Won't be a problem in League one, 12 months time.

I've gone for Tinnion as I think he would do more damage in charge of a summer transfer window than Manning...

However, you could argue that them sacking Manning is 'learning on the job' and maybe accepting they've made a massive balls up and start again. 

Like I said, you could argue that, but you'd be wrong as they're too naive/stupid/proud and we will just begin the cycle again. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

In fairness Robins has built it over 7 years…. 7 years of pretty much non-stop success, they’ve been progressing all the time and there would have been little or no reason to consider Robins’ position.

I bet he’s not had many 5 defeat in 6 games runs or left the fans bored senseless on a regular basis. 

They took 8pts from 24 at the start of the season and 1 from 15 after we beat them in October......

7 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

They took 8pts from 24 at the start of the season and 1 from 15 after we beat them in October......

With 7 years credit in the bank. If he’d started like Manning, he’d have been out, the same as any other manager.