IGNORED

Tinnion or Manning?

Tinnion or Manning  

304 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You have to say it really takes brains to watch two man of Richard Gould and Nigel Pearson’s intelligence and experience navigate and clear up the absolute omnishambles they inherited, and your takeaway from that is that we don’t need a CEO and Liam Manning can be our manager.

What a weird club.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Ultimately though I think the Club needs real change, and that will only come from the top. Even the most ardent Nigephile will surely admit that his successes, his culture, was a thin sheet of ice covering and concealing the dark depths of an abyss of talent at board and ownership level. Even were we to appoint someone similar to Pearson, or even him again, the best we could hope for was another sheet of ice. The rest, the real problem, would still be there.

That’ll be me 😉😉😉

True, but 99% of football fans don’t give a toss about that, so I’m more in favour of the most important person in the football club - the manager - being I situ first.

A case of can perform in spite of what’s above him.

So, @Silvio Dante, it’s Manning out first for me.  I think a new manager can not only galvanise the players, but also those above.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’ll be me 😉😉😉

True, but 99% of football fans don’t give a toss about that, so I’m more in favour of the most important person in the football club - the manager - being I situ first.

So, @Silvio Dante, it’s Manning out first for me.  I think a new manager can not only galvanise the players, but also those above.

Can also galvanise the fans too @Davefevs - if I was Steve L, I would be very mindful of the impact this could on ST sales…..especially if sale volumes are lower than expected/hoped for

• Like 1

I'd rather Manning go. Sacking a manager is never nice but I just don't think he is the right person for the club and I feel, the longer in stays in post, the more our progress over the past three years will be undone.

I'm going to be controversial and say that I don't actually want Tinnion out. I think we need an experienced CEO and/or Director of Football above him and I think it is in everyone's interests for him to have someone else to do the bulk of the media pieces for the club but I'd rather his role be configured than him moved on. For all of his flaws, I do think there is a value in having someone inside the club championing and developing the academy in the way he has done and all the evidence to suggests he's someone who was previously doing a good job who has got a bit out of his depth. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CityCiderEd said:

This was from a Coventry City fan after the Wolves game....food for thought. 

Screenshot_20240317_104555_X.jpg

City give managers a lot more time than most clubs, LJ and Pearson were both given time to address bad runs of form and realistically Manning will be given the same.

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think a new manager can not only galvanise the players, but also those above.

Except those above don't want to be galvanised, they want a compliant head coach who'll defer to Tinnion.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

What also might be making Lansdown Snr even more unhappy at the moment is that his favourite manager, Mark Robins, has just got Coventry to an FA Cup Semi-Final and they are still very much in with a shout of making the playoffs, despite selling their two best players from last season. That just underlines how poor the appointment of Manning has been by comparison.

We can't compare with Coventry though because they sold players for big money.

I thought we had done the same but Tinnion put us right on that. Our technical director certainly has his finger on the pulse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It’s an impossible question, Manning needs to go, but leave Tinnion in place and Mannings replacement isn’t likely to be any better. Rock and a hard place 

I went for Tinnion, because I don’t believe Manning would last 6 months once Tinnion is replaced by a competent person. 

Edited by Ashtongreight
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

That’ll be me 😉😉😉

China takes the words out of my mouth. We saw under Pearson that an attempt to "galvanise" those above may work in the short term but ultimately leads to a clash of intentions, a clash of understanding and an end to the relationship. 

55 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Except those above don't want to be galvanised, they want a compliant head coach who'll defer to Tinnion.

As I say above.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 2

Tinnion for me, I'll stomach Manning for 6 months to get rid of one of the issues higher up, doesn't mean I rate Manning, just that I'd humour him to get rid of a much deeper rooted problem within the club. 

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

That’ll be me 😉😉😉

I reckon in the long term it can even drag talented managers and players down, a shitshow to the side and above.

Or if not drag down, at least act as a cap on potential etc. Treading water.

38 minutes ago, chinapig said:

We can't compare with Coventry though because they sold players for big money.

I thought we had done the same but Tinnion put us right on that. Our technical director certainly has his finger on the pulse.

What Tinnion said had an element of truth in that they had much lower losses coming into this season and both players were sold post May 31st so they had more Headroom IMO.

However he didn't explain it well at all. On a basic level though he may have had a point but on the other hand we could have spent more than we did. Should have too.

26 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What Tinnion said had an element of truth in that they had much lower losses coming into this season and both players were sold post May 31st so they had more Headroom IMO.

However he didn't explain it well at all. On a basic level though he may have had a point but on the other hand we could have spent more than we did. Should have too.

Doesn't really wash for me. It wasn't that we couldn't spend a bit more of the money raised (nobody was demanding we spend loads, least of a!l Nigel).

Rather we were told we were building a nest egg for some unspecified point in the future. Which was code for not wanting to give Nigel any more.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

Doesn't really wash for me. It wasn't that we couldn't spend a bit more of the money raised (nobody was demanding we spend loads, least of a!l Nigel).

Rather we were told we were building a nest egg for some unspecified point in the future. Which was code for not wanting to give Nigel any more.

Yeah I agree on that, the nest egg thing is a big hole in my thinking.

However Coventry I am sure had more Headroom, how much more we could've spent Idk.

• Like 1

Manning needs to go.. he's clueless.. plan A doesn't work and he doesn't have a plan B.  The football is slow and ponderous and the opposition quickly work us out knowing that if they score first they win the game.  His substitutions are just like for like all the time and why anyone would want to give him time or money to waste is beyond me.

The pathway for the youth has also all but disappeared and we're going backwards fast! 

As for Tinnion, he should have a long look at himself and take himself back to look after the academy and keep the youngsters coming through.  He should be no where the first team apart from to tell about the next Scott or Semenyo coming through! 

2 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

if you are referring to the most ardent nigephile i think you and me need to have words😄

You’re at stalker levels D!!!  I’m online only.

Although did I tell you I’m going away next weekend as its international break?  Where am I heading?  Devon.  About 10 mins from where Nige is I believe. 😮😮😮

Every breath you take
And every move you make
Every bond you break
Every step you take
I'll be watching you

Yes, I’ll be on the lookout for Nige! 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

What also might be making Lansdown Snr even more unhappy at the moment is that his favourite manager, Mark Robins, has just got Coventry to an FA Cup Semi-Final and they are still very much in with a shout of making the playoffs, despite selling their two best players from last season. That just underlines how poor the appointment of Manning has been by comparison.

Where would we be if we’d appointed Robins over Del Boy all those years ago. 

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You’re at stalker levels D!!!  I’m online only.

Although did I tell you I’m going away next weekend as its international break?  Where am I heading?  Devon.  About 10 mins from where Nige is I believe. 😮😮😮

Every breath you take
And every move you make
Every bond you break
Every step you take
I'll be watching you

Yes, I’ll be on the lookout for Nige! 🤣🤣🤣

It's all very well taking time off Dave but surely you'll come back deconditioned? Better to spend your time on the grass. One way or another there's plenty of that in Devon.😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah I agree on that, the nest egg thing is a big hole in my thinking.

However Coventry I am sure had more Headroom, how much more we could've spent Idk.

Again, nobody expected Coventry levels of spending. Nigel wasn't keen on spending big money anyway but he talked of getting one more player and I'm sure any target would have been in the affordable range.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I don’t get the “six months” bit. Just get rid of them now.

To explain that bit, I get the impression there is a bit of a realisation from both Tinnion and Manning that they are under threat, and realise there will need to be a fall guy. If there is only one fall guy, it follows that they won’t get rid of the other one for a period.

Again, I’d rather lose both!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

To explain that bit, I get the impression there is a bit of a realisation from both Tinnion and Manning that they are under threat, and realise there will need to be a fall guy. If there is only one fall guy, it follows that they won’t get rid of the other one for a period.

Again, I’d rather lose both!

I’m not so sure. If SL has any nous about him he’d realise WTF has happened. 
If BT goes, LM must go at the same time. I would think BT would last to the end of the season as he’s a golden boy. LM should go now.