IGNORED

A worse signing than Mebude.

7 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I know this won’t go down well with some, but currently the worst signing in our squad is Mehmeti. Hasn’t worked out at all. 

You are allowed to think what you want. My opinion is that Mehmeti is a long way from being the worst signing in our squad. 

2 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

On the Man City highlight reel that showcased his progress with them.

Having watched many hours of our U21s over the last two or three years, it is clear that Mebude is well ahead of any similar player in out youth programme. I believe he was the player of the year at Man City in one of their youth year groups.  To laugh at him at this level of his development is really unfair and NOT what a supporter should be doing.  Maybe the lad would be helped more at this stage of his career by enthusiastic support rather than wall to wall criticism. It almost seems that some on this forum would be delighted if he failed.  If he does not succeed with us, I would bet heavily that he will turn up somewhere else and eventually be worth a huge transfer fee. I would rather we received the benefit rather than a competitor. Just support the lad for heavens sake!

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Having watched many hours of our U21s over the last two or three years, it is clear that Mebude is well ahead of any similar player in out youth programme. I believe he was the player of the year at Man City in one of their youth year groups.  To laugh at him at this level of his development is really unfair and NOT what a supporter should be doing.  Maybe the lad would be helped more at this stage of his career by enthusiastic support rather than wall to wall criticism. It almost seems that some on this forum would be delighted if he failed.  If he does not succeed with us, I would bet heavily that he will turn up somewhere else and eventually be worth a huge transfer fee. I would rather we received the benefit rather than a competitor. Just support the lad for heavens sake!

To be clear the initial nature of my OP was to highlight a semi amusing story, and frame it against what has clearly been a terrible signing for us at this stage irrespective of ability DM may or may not have. Nobody can argue that six weeks into a loan spell and the manager totally reticent to put him on the pitch when also not filling the bench most weeks represents anything other than a bad signing.

But on this post specifically. As I’ve said before football is littered with kids who look good at academy level and don’t make it at men’s level. And you’re going to look better at Man City as you have better players around you. Being a good academy player means the square root of nothing even at Man City

To expand on that, I’ve just looked at Man City’s team in the 2019 youth cup final (so they’ve had time to work out if they make a career or not). 11 of the 16 man squad are playing below the top level (some loans). A couple of the alumni are playing for Ramsbottom and Waterford respectively!

The fact is that he went to Belgium and Westerlo didn’t play him (and not for work permit reasons as stated by the club). Hes now here and a coach who needs inspiration and goals won’t play him.

He’s 20 in two months with less than 300 minutes senior football to his name.

How much exactly do you want to bet that he’ll be worth a “huge transfer fee”. (Define huge) - all the signs at the moment are that he was a good “age group” player but no more - which is insanely common at academy football.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

To be clear the initial nature of my OP was to highlight a semi amusing story, and frame it against what has clearly been a terrible signing for us at this stage irrespective of ability DM may or may not have. Nobody can argue that six weeks into a loan spell and the manager totally reticent to put him on the pitch when also not filling the bench most weeks represents anything other than a bad signing.

But on this post specifically. As I’ve said before football is littered with kids who look good at academy level and don’t make it at men’s level. And you’re going to look better at Man City as you have better players around you. Being a good academy player means the square root of nothing even at Man City

To expand on that, I’ve just looked at Man City’s team in the 2019 youth cup final (so they’ve had time to work out if they make a career or not). 11 of the 16 man squad are playing below the top level (some loans). A couple of the alumni are playing for Ramsbottom and Waterford respectively!

The fact is that he went to Belgium and Westerlo didn’t play him (and not for work permit reasons as stated by the club). Hes now here and a coach who needs inspiration and goals won’t play him.

He’s 20 in two months with less than 300 minutes senior football to his name.

How much exactly do you want to bet that he’ll be worth a “huge transfer fee”. (Define huge) - all the signs at the moment are that he was a good “age group” player but no more - which is insanely common at academy football.

What you write seems entirely reasonable - but if he is a "confidence" player, what point is served by posting negative comments about him?  I really hope he fulfils his potential and becomes a great player, ideally for us.  If he is unwise enough to read this forum, it could certainly have a negative impact on his career.  Have you seen a youth player in our set up with more promise than he showed on his highlights reel?  For me, 5p would be a massive bet because I simply do not bet and don't even know how to place a bet.  As I said before - just support the lad!

3 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

What you write seems entirely reasonable - but if he is a "confidence" player, what point is served by posting negative comments about him?  I really hope he fulfils his potential and becomes a great player, ideally for us.  If he is unwise enough to read this forum, it could certainly have a negative impact on his career.  Have you seen a youth player in our set up with more promise than he showed on his highlights reel?  For me, 5p would be a massive bet because I simply do not bet and don't even know how to place a bet.  As I said before - just support the lad!

Highlights reels are just that though. Highlights reels. The number of people who look world beaters on them then panel beaters in the real world are countless - so I prefer an eyes on approach at the all round piece.

(To give a parallel here Mehmeti looked great on highlight reels but that doesn’t show his positioning when not in possession and his movement which is poor)

And he’ll get a lot worse in his career if he does make it than seen here, so I’m not sure the argument “don’t criticise in case he reads this” really holds water. Liam has said he doesn’t read social media in any case (he does) so I expect he gives that instructions to all his players…

But irrespective of if he reads or not. Man City were happy to get rid. Westerlo were happy to get rid. City don’t want to play him. It’s not screaming a top class player waiting to get out is it?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Highlights reels are just that though. Highlights reels. The number of people who look world beaters on them then panel beaters in the real world are countless - so I prefer an eyes on approach at the all round piece.

(To give a parallel here Mehmeti looked great on highlight reels but that doesn’t show his positioning when not in possession and his movement which is poor)

And he’ll get a lot worse in his career if he does make it than seen here, so I’m not sure the argument “don’t criticise in case he reads this” really holds water. Liam has said he doesn’t read social media in any case (he does) so I expect he gives that instructions to all his players…

But irrespective of if he reads or not. Man City were happy to get rid. Westerlo were happy to get rid. City don’t want to play him. It’s not screaming a top class player waiting to get out is it?

He has to have highlights to have a highlights reel. The way he played and the technical ability he displayed were certainly impressive.  Mehmeti has flashes but, in my humble opinion is let down by lack of pace. He may improve as many young players have in the past. Mebude is much younger and could do with a run of games in a team that is playing well, which ours is not.  It is unrealistic to hope a 19 year old can come into a failing team and turn us into world beaters.  Time and support will achieve more than criticism and undermining the lad. I really want to see him succeed and bring some of the qualities he displayed in youth football into our first team.  I watched Albert Adomah whilst I lived in Barnet and he developed over the time he was these and I sent an email to City suggesting we look at him. Albert was older then than Mebude is now. Time will tell - if he is allowed that time.

19 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

I suspect it was due to LM knowing him previously. 

But I don't see the problem,

He was a very highly rated lad at Man City, who got a move to Belgium which did not work out (many young players have problems settling away from home in a foreign country.)

We have him on loan with an option to buy, so cost us a bit in wages which allows us to see if he is a gem or not up to it, and if we decide he is not he goes back.

Not even close to being our worse signing

Not sure how many minutes I’ve seen him, however they were really not great ones.  

To be anywhere near our worse signing at this level (loan or otherwise) he would really need to go some form here. 

Never the less Mbudes Splinter could be my next screen name!

3 hours ago, Calculus said:

How have we got to page 2 without mentioning Diony and Styvar?

Probably because the thread was actually about an incident in another game, but it's been completely derailed because the title the OP chose to use.

1 hour ago, hertsexile said:

image.thumb.png.25a2c20c6c30f601c2dcc6a830720991.png

Dear lord, who signed off on that comic sans font??

Looks like he's doing well in the French 2nd tier for Angers this season. Played 28 and scored 12 goals. We'll probably re-sign him in the summer...

Edited by ChubStixx