IGNORED

What if we never had beaten southampton

12 hours ago, cityexile said:

Let me introduce you to the ‘West Ham’ alternative universe of excuses.

Let me introduce you to Watford, alternative to the alternative 

12 hours ago, Bcfc willzyak said:

I wondered to my self if we never had beaten Southampton would manning still be in his job now?

move this to a thread you find appropriate if don’t want another thread  

Then we'd mention how we beat them on championship manager.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I thought it was the best we had played for years, especially in the 2nd half, we battered a team that hadn’t lost for 25 games. I get the negativity currently but you have to give credit where it’s due.

It was good.

But if we were gonna beat a team, a Russell Martin team, it was gonna be exactly like that.  The problem is we’ve not recreated that type of performance in the league.  Watford (a) was different - that’s probably the only time I’ve seen a good Manningball performance over 90 mins.  Southampton, West Ham and Forest were not what id call Manningball performances, more underdog, sit deep and counter.

What has become more apparent over the period is the over-reliance on the block, and unfortunately (for us fans) it seems to be at the expense of any real attacking game-plan.  The inability to move from block to attack via build-up play is painful.  The ability to create from a press (Boro away) or counter is there, it was there already there, because that was Nige-ball to an extent.

Manning has added very little, and taken away quite a lot (imho).  That has got worse over time from a trend point of view.  He’s not been awful, but I don’t build hope from one game, but I will give him / the players credit for that game.

If we hadn't beaten Southampton I'm not sure he'd still be here, it's the only thing people really have to praise him for - arguably Watford too? The cup games were good but was still 1 win in 4, and Forest were there for the taking at home. The first West Ham game was truly a brilliant performance especially after going behind so early. There was so much fight and desire from the lads in that game - which makes the recent performances seem like they must be instructed to play that way and hold back, it's not them not wanting to do it.

It still seems bizarre just how good that Southampton game was and how high we all felt walking away from that game. Genuinely thought he'd cracked it and the tide would turn.

2 hours ago, RedEyez said:

What if we didn’t sack Nigel Pearson?

Probably about the same, the difference is the fan's expectations and the comments from the club. Most of us would have been happy with another season of mid-table ahead of a push next year, even if it meant Nige left in the summer.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

If we hadn't beaten Southampton I'm not sure he'd still be here, it's the only thing people really have to praise him for - arguably Watford too? The cup games were good but was still 1 win in 4, and Forest were there for the taking at home. The first West Ham game was truly a brilliant performance especially after going behind so early. There was so much fight and desire from the lads in that game - which makes the recent performances seem like they must be instructed to play that way and hold back, it's not them not wanting to do it.

It still seems bizarre just how good that Southampton game was and how high we all felt walking away from that game. Genuinely thought he'd cracked it and the tide would turn.

Probably about the same, the difference is the fan's expectations and the comments from the club. Most of us would have been happy with another season of mid-table ahead of a push next year, even if it meant Nige left in the summer.

What makes you think that would've happened?

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

I walked away buzzing too, watched the game back on sky in the early hours, not wanting to go to bed!

But I certainly didn’t think he’d cracked it.  I still remember posting the next day that Southampton / Martin was to looked at with caution because Birmingham, Preston and Millwall should’ve taught us that QPR and Wednesday would not be easy.  What a killjoy I was (still am)’

24 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

What makes you think that would've happened?

Trajectory of progress on the pitch and off the pitch.  Funds already secured from Scott’s sale to use across several windows meant we could be proactive. Etc, etc.

I know you’ll just look at is as - we were 15th when he got sacked…but the signs were there, we were floating around 8-11th prior to Ipswich and Cardiff.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, David Brent said:

If we somehow win 6 of the next 8 then the last 6 months will definitely be forgotten by BT and JL. 

That's what boils my piss. Tinnion wanting to be ten points better off yet had his front foot manager been able to beat a number of poor sides since Boxing Day we would have most of those ten points if not all. He couldn't even manage a draw between the lot of them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Manning hanging his hat on that Southampton win looks more ludicrous by the day . 

Doesn't it just. 

And none of the other teams we've played under Manning play like Saints anyway. So what's his point?

The other teams - especially the ones who've come to Ashton Gate to sit deep and allow us to have the ball - have asked completely different questions of us and Manning has had no answer, he's been found wanting.

To beat those other teams, we had to play in a different way to the Southampton game, and we haven't been able to. There's enough evidence now to suggest this is because Manning isn't good enough, rather than our players not being good enough.

Manning is forcing our players to play in a way that manifestly doesn't play to their strengths. And that has resulted in poor form and poor results. Turgid football, 2 wins and 9 defeats in 13 league games this calendar year. Relegation form. Garbage. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 2
  • Facepalm 1

8 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Why do I have an image of statues of Tinnion and Manning dressed as Greek gods, with Pearson on his hands and knees bowing before them???

Should be the other way around.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chivs said:

What if Pearson had been a good manager?

'Attack the post and not the poster'.

This is one of the most ****witted, moronic, imbecilic posts that I have read in at least twenty-four hours.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

That's what boils my piss. Tinnion wanting to be ten points better off yet had his front foot manager been able to beat a number of poor sides since Boxing Day we would have most of those ten points if not all. He couldn't even manage a draw between the lot of them.

Or if we hadn't sacked Pearson.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Manning hanging his hat on that Southampton win looks more ludicrous by the day . Saints now have almost no chance of automatic promotion and are slipping badly . They’re not Man City and are now back in 4th place . 

They were 27 unbeaten and flying at the time, another ridiculous post. One of the reasons they are 4th because we beat then 3-1. Honestly this place gets more childish by the hour, the reasoning used to be anger at the Board not Manning but the amount of venom to Liam is pathetic, school playground stuff.

Bit like Starmer's campaign to oust the Tories, no alternative policy no idea as with here, who the Hell do we propose? NEIL ******* WARNOCK. OTIB at it's finest.

• Facepalm 1

42 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

That long?

Oh no, actually you're right.

'Cole not gas' responded this morning. 

I stand corrected. 👍

41 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

God the irony...

Something to say?...

34 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

They were 27 unbeaten and flying at the time, another ridiculous post. One of the reasons they are 4th because we beat then 3-1. Honestly this place gets more childish by the hour, the reasoning used to be anger at the Board not Manning but the amount of venom to Liam is pathetic, school playground stuff.

Bit like Starmer's campaign to oust the Tories, no alternative policy no idea as with here, who the Hell do we propose? NEIL ******* WARNOCK. OTIB at it's finest.

Ah... a Tory. 

'Nuff said. 

😋

• Like 2

If we'd never beaten Southampton then I might not have been a City supporter for 57 years!

First game was FA cup 4th round in Feb 67 when we beat Southampton 1-0 and that got me hooked. Had we lost, who knows what would have happened.....

...I might have avoided 50+years of disappointment!!!

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

22 minutes ago, downendcity said:

If we'd never beaten Southampton then I might not have been a City supporter for 57 years!

First game was FA cup 4th round in Feb 67 when we beat Southampton 1-0 and that got me hooked. Had we lost, who knows what would have happened.....

...I might have avoided 50+years of disappointment!!!

Despite him being my (now second) favourite manager, I blame Joe Jordan for my misery. 

Went to watch his debut. 

Wait... who did we sign him from? 🤔

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

But if we were gonna beat a team, a Russell Martin team, it was gonna be exactly like that.  The problem is we’ve not recreated that type of performance in the league.  Yep, top drawer counter attacking performance. Other decent counter attacking performances include Ipswich and Coventry. Middlesbrough was a great 45 followed by a horrendous 45. Watford (a) was different - that’s probably the only time I’ve seen a good Manningball performance over 90 mins.  Yep, fantastic dominant performance, the last and possibly ONLY such performance he has produced in 23 attempts.

What has become more apparent over the period is the over-reliance on the block, and unfortunately (for us fans) it seems to be at the expense of any real attacking game-plan.  The three key words, not one game here or another there.

Manning has added very little, and taken away quite a lot (imho).  The crux of it.  He’s not been awful, but I don’t build hope from one game, but I will give him / the players credit for that game. He's not been awful ALL OF THE TIME but he is one game away from losing HALF his games in over half a season from the day he got here. Lose half your games over a WHOLE season and have a guess where you generally end up? There aren't many teams that win 17, draw 6 and lose 23.......he needs a very good 8 games now to save his skin because these stats are only heading in one direction.

5 hours ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Have you considered that they had already started faltering BEFORE we played them and that we  didn’t take down the mighty Goliath that day? Goliath was already nursing a nasty kick in the nuts a few days before when Huddersfield nearly beat him !