IGNORED

Meet Europe's Most Innovative Coach

DaveF

No, it's not an interview with Liam Manning.

Henrik Rydstrom has rejected the idea of positional play and embraced a more anarchic structure - winning the Swedish title with Malmo. 

Quite an interesting read about a rarely utilised way of playing, probably only Malmo and Fluminense doing it currently and having considerable success.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11096/13097969/henrik-rydstrom-interview-how-malmo-boss-rejected-positional-play-to-become-europes-most-innovative-coach

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Cole Not Gas said:

I love the clip from Brazil and cant imagine Liam nor other coaches in England playing 7 or 8 players down one side. It does seem truly weird but what a great post to bring something so different tot he forum. Excellent

Building from the back Malmo don't do anything exceptional, its quite structured, its a four two shape with splitting CB's wide FB's. 7-8 players are not specifically played down one side. They play from a back four and a double pivot. The pivot moves with the ball and so do the attacking central midfielders to the forward/forwards creating ladders. The ladders are the overload and this can be either side of the pitch or down the centre. The ball goes right the team flows (tilting) right, and if the ball goes left the team tilts left. 

In the second and final third is where Malmo look different. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Building from the back Malmo don't do anything exceptional, its quite structured, its a four two shape with splitting CB's wide FB's. 7-8 players are not specifically played down one side. They play from a back four and a double pivot. The pivot moves with the ball and so do the attacking central midfielders to the forward/forwards creating ladders. The ladders are the overload and this can be either side of the pitch or down the centre. The ball goes right the team flows (tilting) right, and if the ball goes left the team tilts left. 

Woman GIF

• Haha 5

Bill Shankly always told his players to play their football in their opponents half and Brian Clough told his that football is a simple game - all you need to do is score more goals than the other team.

I wonder what Liam Manning tells his players because either they don't understand or it's complete bollocks.  The words excitement, entertaining, forwards, flair and unpredictability are probably not in his vocabulary.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

And for those of us who don't have a UEFA coaching badge, I think I can safely say....

Pardon?

Always thought at our Club’s level that if you were going with emphasis on a ‘technical’, rather than a ‘man-manager’ coach, you need someone different and innovative.

We need a game plan that is ahead of the trend curve, not just a replica of what everyone else is doing. Unlikely we will be a success based on an on-trend model as most of our rivals can afford better players that are better able to play the ‘established’ systems. 

My fear from day one is we’ve gone technical, but with just an FA textbook man. The very worst of outcomes imo. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

And for those of us who don't have a UEFA coaching badge, I think I can safely say....

Pardon?

Malmo don't play with seven players on side. They have a back four and two deep lying central midfielders. Its not an unusual shape. The six players in front of the back four move across the pitch creating large overloads in attempt to progress the ball up the pitch.

Any better?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

This guy getting a bit of attention.  Lincoln rocketing up lg1, based on momentum, they’ll make the play-offs!

I’d note that in most of those clips it features Jack Moylan and Joe Taylor. 
Two very good players for that level. 
Sometimes it’s just all about the players and their own capabilities / desire 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Harry said:

Still can’t understand how Luton signed Taylor from Peterborough, played in the Play offs last season, then got sent to Colchester on loan!!!  He’s bloody rapid too.

I noticed #28 😉

They are flying though.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Harry said:

Sounds like you're doing him a disservice a bit. They've scored 5, 6 and 5 goals in their last 3 games (including against the Gas), the manager must be doing something right!

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

Sounds like you're doing him a disservice a bit. They've scored 5, 6 and 5 goals in their last 3 games (including against the Gas), the manager must be doing something right!

Sorry. Wasn’t meant to do any disservice to Skubala. 
Just that he’s clearly getting the best out of his players, but he’s got a couple of bloody good ones for that level. And if you can get the best out of the better players you’ll always stand a chance. 
They’ve hit some lightning form of late. The addition of Moylan has been hugely influential in this. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Still can’t understand how Luton signed Taylor from Peterborough, played in the Play offs last season, then got sent to Colchester on loan!!!  He’s bloody rapid too.

I noticed #28 😉

They are flying though.

Been seeing a lot of that Taylor this year, reminds me of Baldock but twice as fast.

Does miss a fair share of opportunities but makes a lot of them himself with his ridiculous pace and running. If Luton don't stay up they'd be stupid not to keep him around.

I watched that guys YouTube video - very interesting and all that. But isn’t it quite easy to screen grab a frame from a video of a match and present it as “fact” of how a team set up?

in any event, I’d love a bit of chaos theory at AGate. Akin to the W-S-M days of us actually scoring goals would be nice.

22 hours ago, DaveF said:

No, it's not an interview with Liam Manning.

Henrik Rydstrom has rejected the idea of positional play and embraced a more anarchic structure - winning the Swedish title with Malmo. 

Quite an interesting read about a rarely utilised way of playing, probably only Malmo and Fluminense doing it currently and having considerable success.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11096/13097969/henrik-rydstrom-interview-how-malmo-boss-rejected-positional-play-to-become-europes-most-innovative-coach

And Thiago Motta at Bologna

22 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Bill Shankly always told his players to play their football in their opponents half and Brian Clough told his that football is a simple game - all you need to do is score more goals than the other team.

I wonder what Liam Manning tells his players because either they don't understand or it's complete bollocks.  The words excitement, entertaining, forwards, flair and unpredictability are probably not in his vocabulary.

Actually think it has evolved somewhat since then, the analysis, the tactical depth, the planning and preparation that can go into it.

Go and if you have some time soemire, look up some mid to middish ie 1993 to 1996 say football in the top 2 divisions here. The structure or lack of is like a different sport.

Having said that I definitely agree on the 2nd Paragraph.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

22 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Manning.exe isn’t compatible with the Tinnion30yearlegend Operating system, and performance is massively affected. 

Is that true?

Open a Dros shell, and run with some parameters set:

Dros 1.1 > Manning.exe -nopress -shots min -bordem max -keeperDist allovertheplace

ed: you can also use the keyword 'random' in place of 'allovertheplace'

Edited by Sleepy1968
  • Haha 3

It's beyond bizarre how Brian Tinnion wanted a head coach who would play front-foot, high-press attacking football that would excite the fans but opted for the opposite.  The first half against Swansea reminded me of a San Marino type of set-up.  It's all a bit soulless which isn't what fans want.

Michael Skubala seems to fit the exact criteria Tinnion was looking for.  I had a listen to a couple of his interviews and he strives for exactly the things both BT and the fans want to see.   Front-foot football that excites the fans, developing young players, and having a culture within the Club where everyone regardless of position is respected and aligned as a team.  

There is always a danger of honing in on a manager who is flavour of the month and having a good run but, looking beyond that, I think he would be an ideal fit.  Would he come if Lincoln achieve promotion?  Quite possibly but he'd probably be on the short-list of one or two other Championship clubs.