IGNORED

BJ

JAWS

Before Jon

Given the belief in certain quarters that sonny is responsible for the latest mess and that Daddy should intervene to put things right, I thought I'd have a bit of a brainstorm to recall the notable failings across SL's tenure which will hopefully convince people that Daddy is still pulling the strings & sonny (& crew) are just puppets, AND more importantly a reminder of the poor management & lack of ambition across the last 22 years.

Here's a list of things I can recall. Apologies if some inaccuracies.

1. Not signing Mark Robins permanently following a successful loan spell (this was early in SL tenure)

2. Not appointing Mark Robins as manager

3. Appointing Tony Pulis

4. Appointing Derek Mcinnes

5. Appointing Brian Tinnion (as Manager - see below for TD 😊

6. Announcing no more foreign signings after failed signings such as Peter Styver 

7. Announcing no more loan signings after expensive loans such as Stern John

8. Announcing no signings of players over 30 (may have been younger?)

9. Rejecting a quite frankly mental bid of £7m for Nicky Maynard. Could argue showed ambition. It seemed arrogant & stupid at the time given the significance of the bid.

10. Giving GJ limited funds in the Jan window which meant signing target man Dele Adebola & not a quality striker prolific striker (not target man). 

11. The mess that was Coppell, rumoured to have left due to SL's meddling which included the signing of David James

12. Not backing Cotts when we had the most momentum, feel good factor & team spirit I can remember. Interfering with the transfer discussions with Andre Gray & Harry Maguire, which led to stand off between Cotts & SL

13. Sacking Cotts

14. Appointing LJ 

15.  Penny pinching in the Jan window after momentum built up in cup & league approaching Xmas. We were closing in on Wolves (we had em worried at 1 nil). Jan signings included two loans, the disaster that was Diony & Ryan Kent. Both of whom upset the team balance, the former looked like he'd won a competition!

16. Appointing Holden after a lengthy selection process, as the 'man to take us to the next level' & saying that he felt sorry for the fans if they couldn't understand what the club were trying to do.

17. Allowing the Williams stand to be re-named in his name (lacking class & respect)

18. Even though signing Matty Taylor was funny, from the outside looking in it was petty & classless/amateur & stooped to the scum level. Then after a slanging match with the sags agreeing to a pathetic gentleman's agreement not to buy anymore of their players! Laughable.

19. Bristol Sport

20. Nibor

After Jon (but really still Daddy's decisions)

20. Appointing BT as Technical Director

21. Not backing NP in the summer

22. Sacking NP with lies as an excuse.

23. Appointing an inexperienced replacement.

Feel free to add to the list...........

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 2
  • Facepalm 2

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

I dread international breaks 

You’re not alone in that Phants….

No doubt Manning will be delighted getting time to “work on the grass” tho as there’s no midweek game. Then he can whinge about two games with only 72 hrs between them……….:disapointed2se:

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

I dread international breaks 

No doubt Manning will be delighted getting time to “work on the grass” tho. 

Just now, Robbored said:

Error! 

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

No doubt Manning will be delighted getting time to “work on the grass” tho as there’s no midweek game. Then he can whinge about two games with only 72 hrs between them……….:disapointed2se:

not a fan then RR ?

31 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

It’s valid to a degree.  He did have a good loan spell and we could have signed him, but didn’t. 

Actually it’s bollocks.

Robins was 33 when he was on loan to us, Rotherham tried to get us to pay an increased fee & when we refused they recalled him.

After his time with us he only scored 4 more goals in his whole playing career.

I know there would have been loads saying at the time (probably you) why did we sign a player on the way down as a result.

I really can’t believe we are debating a player we didn’t sign in 2003 again, FFS.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, JAWS said:

Before Jon

Given the belief in certain quarters that sonny is responsible for the latest mess and that Daddy should intervene to put things right, I thought I'd have a bit of a brainstorm to recall the notable failings across SL's tenure which will hopefully convince people that Daddy is still pulling the strings & sonny (& crew) are just puppets, AND more importantly a reminder of the poor management & lack of ambition across the last 22 years.

1. Not signing Mark Robins permanently following a successful loan spell (this was early in SL tenure)

3. Appointing Tony Pulis

6. Announcing no more foreign signings after failed signings such as Peter Styver 

9. Rejecting a quite frankly mental bid of £7m for Nicky Maynard. Could argue showed ambition. It seemed arrogant & stupid at the time given the significance of the bid.

10. Giving GJ limited funds in the Jan window which meant signing target man Dele Adebola & not a quality striker prolific striker (not target man). 

11. The mess that was Coppell, rumoured to have left due to SL's meddling which included the signing of David James

12. Not backing Cotts when we had the most momentum, feel good factor & team spirit I can remember. Interfering with the transfer discussions with Andre Gray & Harry Maguire, which led to stand off between Cotts & SL

13. Sacking Cotts

14. Appointing LJ 

15.  Penny pinching in the Jan window after momentum built up in cup & league approaching Xmas. We were closing in on Wolves (we had em worried at 1 nil). Jan signings included two loans, the disaster that was Diony & Ryan Kent. Both of whom upset the team balance, the former looked like he'd won a competition!

16. Appointing Holden after a lengthy selection process, as the 'man to take us to the next level' & saying that he felt sorry for the fans if they couldn't understand what the club were trying to do.

17. Allowing the Williams stand to be re-named in his name (lacking class & respect)

18. Even though signing Matty Taylor was funny, from the outside looking in it was petty & classless/amateur & stooped to the scum level. Then after a slanging match with the sags agreeing to a pathetic gentleman's agreement not to buy anymore of their players! Laughable.

19. Bristol Sport

20. Nibor

Think youve pretty well summed them up.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Actually it’s bollocks.

Robins was 33 when he was on loan to us, Rotherham tried to get us to pay an increased fee & when we refused they recalled him.

I know there would have been loads saying at the time (probably you) why did we sign a player on the way down as a result.

I really can’t believe we are debating a player we didn’t sign in 2003 again, FFS.

Not sure it really needs this. Its player who did well on loan we didn’t sign 20 years ago, I was just trying to add some context. 

Also, Probably me? Get ****** 

9 hours ago, JAWS said:

Before Jon

3. Appointing Tony Pulis

13. Sacking Cotts

14. Appointing LJ 

19. Bristol Sport

20. Nibor

Dispensing of a CEO another awful decision

not appointing a DOF 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Actually it’s bollocks.

I was also under the impression that Robins was, and has been for a while, SL's #1 choice for the manager job here.

It seems every time the search for a new manager begins, until recently at least, somebody on here always complains that he is about to approach Robins and they hope we don't get him.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Thought the Maynard bid never went any further because Micky (I'll never forget him), would only entertain a move to a Premier League side?

You may be right BR but my recollection was SL flexing his financial muscles. Don't think it got as far as player decision 🤔 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Not sure it really needs this. Its player who did well on loan we didn’t sign 20 years ago, I was just trying to add some context. 

Also, Probably me? Get ****** 

Yep. It's an assessment of a decision made at the time not in hindsight. Robins scored 4 in 6 for us & therefore appeared to be a good signing that we passed up

Some good points among some nonsense. 

My thought for a while (and stated before) is JL has been handed the club as something to do. 

Major decisions are ran by papa but, JL needs experience as one day he will be at the helm of dads empire. Just a fact! 

What better way to get experience than to piss off thousands of people by making shit decisions on your learning curve.

The firing of The CEO, Pearson, his team and the promoting of BT to Technical Director are horror decisions. Yes probably ran by pop, but he’s on his own! 

If you are SL, JL is a lot easier to take ******* up Bristol Sport and learning something, than slopping around on a yacht! 

Edited by REDOXO

1 hour ago, JAWS said:

You may be right BR but my recollection was SL flexing his financial muscles. Don't think it got as far as player decision 🤔 

You are correct. We never accepted any bid from Leicester. 

Edited by David Brent

11 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Some good points among some nonsense. 

My thought for a while (and stated before) is JL has been handed the club as something to do. 

Major decisions are ran by papa but, JL needs experience as one day he will be at the helm of dads empire. Just a fact! 

What better way to get experience than to piss off thousands of people by making shit decisions on your learning curve.

The firing of The CEO, Pearson, his team and the promoting of BT to Technical Director are horror decisions. Yes probably ran by pop, but he’s on his own! 

If you are SL, JL is a lot easier to take ******* up Bristol Sport and learning something, than slopping around on a yacht! 

I posted a while back that I wondered if he’d had some form of epiphany, ie what am I gonna do with my life.  This was off of the back of hearing a story that Jon had asked to become CEO, but instead of giving him the role it was a bit like - “you carry on being Chairman, but I’ll put a safety blanket of Gavin, Tom and Brian around you whilst you prove yourself”.