IGNORED

England Vs Brazil / Belgium

England are good going forward when Southgate allows the handbrake to be realeased and ropey defensively. There were enough chances created last night to put Belgium to bed, they profited from two League 2 standard mistakes and created one clear chance when we committed bodies forward at the end. Sels had a very good game. Kane and Saka to come in too. However this England team always leaves the back door unlocked and that will continue to cost us at the business end of any tournament. We don’t have a Bellingham, Saka or Kane equivalent at the back. All decent, no more.

There is no comparison with Bristol City who sit in a low block and create the square root of **** all. It’s nonsense to compare the two as we are so bad.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

As for our Welsh “cousins” anyone remember the Italy flag in the away end when we played Swansea? Now you know what it’s like to lose a penalty shoot out in a big game boyo’s. Enjoy that!!

It was beautiful last night seeing all those crying Welsh boyos.  All their hopes and expectations up in smoke.  Reasons such as the flag you referenced above are why it makes it so sweet! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lenred said:

It was beautiful last night seeing all those crying Welsh boyos.  All their hopes and expectations up in smoke.  Reasons such as the flag you referenced above are why it makes it so sweet! 

Must be tough knowing that 2016 is as good as it’ll likely ever get following Wales. Glad them not qualifying means we don’t have to have inordinate coverage about them during the tournament.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bris Red said:

Toney is the better footballer for me. It feels as if a team isn't built exactly to play to Watkins strengths he seems fairly ineffective, you need to be more versatile than that at international level IMO.

Add to that Toney's fairly incredible penalty taking record which could prove invaluable in tournament football i totally agree with you that he should be second choice behind Kane.

I like that he’s got a bit of an edge to him. He’s got that win at all costs mentality and given his ban, the tournament may well come when he’s at peak game readiness. 

• Admin
7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I like that he’s got a bit of an edge to him. He’s got that win at all costs mentality and given his ban, the tournament may well come when he’s at peak game readiness. 

....and should we feature in a penalty shoot-out, he'd likely put his house on scoring his pen! #confidence

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

England are good going forward when Southgate allows the handbrake to be realeased and ropey defensively. There were enough chances created last night to put Belgium to bed, they profited from two League 2 standard mistakes and created one clear chance when we committed bodies forward at the end. Sels had a very good game. Kane and Saka to come in too. However this England team always leaves the back door unlocked and that will continue to cost us at the business end of any tournament. We don’t have a Bellingham, Saka or Kane equivalent at the back. All decent, no more.

There is no comparison with Bristol City who sit in a low block and create the square root of **** all. It’s nonsense to compare the two as we are so bad.

The two are linked. England are very good defensively, amongst the best when they play cautiously.

Mr Southgate is attempting to be more offensive, playing higher and this has quickly led to the team conceding big chances. Versus Brazil England playing higher led to Brazil creating numerous chances in behind the advanced line. England also fared badly when they pressed up the pitch and Brazil counter pressed with Rice and Gallagher being caught frequently in advanced positions. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2015 said:

The only other home nation i'd support is Northern Ireland. 

Can't stand the others, got massive chips on both shoulders. Can never understand any Englishman wishing Wales, Scotland or Republic of Ireland well.

Agree. Inferiority complex the taffs & jocks. I always thought the Scot’s acted like international gas heads . Don’t really care how we get on as long as don’t achieve anything . Both only started qualifying after uefa & fifa made it idiot proof 

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

2 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Agree. Inferiority complex the taffs & jocks. I always thought the Scot’s acted like international gas heads . Don’t really care how we get on as long as don’t achieve anything . Both only started qualifying after uefa & fifa made it idiot proof 

Passion merchants the pair of them. We got beat by Iran but we had the most passionate supporters at the tournament etc etc. English don't compare I just don't have the words to express how much I like this post!

I don't take teams qualifying for Euro tournaments from 2016 that seriously. You had to be good to qualify before then. Same will happen with the World Cup from 2026.

3 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Stones and Walker are both excellent when fit

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

Stones and Walker are both excellent when fit

Walker is a big miss as his pace gets others, and himself sometimes, out of trouble. Stones is prone to lapses occasionally and it's interesting that Pep plays him further forward for the most part these days. If we were as good at the back as we are in the other areas of the team we would take some stopping. The problem is that the top sides like France and Spain know that as long as they stay in the game against us they WILL get two gilt edged opportunities to score...........and so it proved at the last world cup.

• Like 1

I went to Wembley yesterday….first time I have been there since the Hull game.  It is a very difficult stadium to build an affinity with.  It is a horrible place to get to, dire atmosphere and an area of London that seems to resent its focal point.

I’m used to the football at City being less than inspiring but it wasn’t until I saw England first hand that I fully understood that Football is becoming deathly boring.  The game is crying out for someone to innovate away from the low block/monsters of possession.  Things need to change!

On the flip side, it’s great for the kids to see our best talent, given how hard it is to get tickets at places like Arsenal, Liverpool or Man United.   Foden is a beautiful player to watch, Bellingham’s will to win is probably more impressive than his skills on the ball (which are also incredible) and Mainoo could develop into something special.  Doku was great to watch to be fair.  Belgian seemed to be more in tune with each other positionally and didn’t need to think before passing.

i know we have had a rough year but I don’t think we are a million miles away from the top of the game.  Be great if we could be the team that offers a different style of football.  Could get behind that.

• Like 1

Just three comments on the posts above from my opinion -Gallagher is not good enough to be an England regular,mind doesn't work quickly enough 

Foden-great for Man City,still not enough end product for England

Stones was always prone to one mistake per game,but not now,solid.

As I say,just my opinions 

19 hours ago, Glyn Rileys Mullet said:

I went to Wembley yesterday….first time I have been there since the Hull game.  It is a very difficult stadium to build an affinity with.  It is a horrible place to get to, dire atmosphere and an area of London that seems to resent its focal point.

I’m used to the football at City being less than inspiring but it wasn’t until I saw England first hand that I fully understood that Football is becoming deathly boring.  The game is crying out for someone to innovate away from the low block/monsters of possession.  Things need to change!

On the flip side, it’s great for the kids to see our best talent, given how hard it is to get tickets at places like Arsenal, Liverpool or Man United.   Foden is a beautiful player to watch, Bellingham’s will to win is probably more impressive than his skills on the ball (which are also incredible) and Mainoo could develop into something special.  Doku was great to watch to be fair.  Belgian seemed to be more in tune with each other positionally and didn’t need to think before passing.

i know we have had a rough year but I don’t think we are a million miles away from the top of the game.  Be great if we could be the team that offers a different style of football.  Could get behind that.

This may be what you are stating but high possession teams generally do not defend with a low block, its the low possession counter attacking teams.

Football is always evolving. England was once the Country of 4-4-2 and pomo. We are not now.

Edited by Cowshed

2 hours ago, Cowshed said:

This may be what you are stating but high possession teams generally do not defend with a low block, its the low possession counter attacking teams.

Football is always evolving. England was once the Country of 4-4-2 and pomo. We are not now.

It was more the fact that teams either adopt one or the other depending on the quality of players at their disposal.  There doesn’t seem to be a third or forth way that is successful.  Luton maybe buck that trend but it remains to be seen whether they can make that work.      

48 minutes ago, Glyn Rileys Mullet said:

It was more the fact that teams either adopt one or the other depending on the quality of players at their disposal.  There doesn’t seem to be a third or forth way that is successful.  Luton maybe buck that trend but it remains to be seen whether they can make that work.      

I would say looking at the top five of the EPL. Arsenal down to Spurs there are teams playing there in clearly differing approaches x several formations. If I continue down the league to tenth there is more variety and more formations. This is a world away from England being a former footballing nation of long ball and 4-4-2. 

On 27/03/2024 at 10:18, Numero Uno said:

As for our Welsh “cousins” anyone remember the Italy flag in the away end when we played Swansea? Now you know what it’s like to lose a penalty shoot out in a big game boyo’s. Enjoy that!!

And anyone feeling sorry for them? well just watch this

• Like 2

On 27/03/2024 at 17:09, Markthehorn said:

Unlucky for Sam Johnstone .

Sounds like he would have been 2nd choice  too .

Is Pope fit soon ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68674309

My guess would be England use that third spot for Trafford and give him experience of a senior major competition with eyes on him being number 1 in years to come, no expectation for him to play, like England did with Walcott and others when they’ve been young