IGNORED

England Vs Brazil / Belgium

Decent performance with loads of positives, you add back in Kane and Saka’s goals and pretty much a new back line then with the addition of Manoo who looks like the next Kante then you have a very decent side pretty much at there peak I would say. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Oh yeah, not denying that. I will maintain that we would have won that 2004 euros if it wasn’t for Rooney getting injured as he was unplayable there. Sven definitely underachieved overall and Southgate has done well to get “team England” in place as opposed to the club cliques.

The question over him becomes that for the third tournament running we’ll - by ability - be in the top four teams. And I think it’s right to say other teams also have good players. But if you can’t get over the line in the circumstance of having one of the best teams consistently (and this time it is more pronounced as we should be one of only two teams likely to win it), then it is fair to ask how successful you are bearing on mind resource as a manager.

Thats not slating him - it’s just saying what are reasonable expectations in the summer. Because if you don’t succeed three times in that circumstance then questions over how good you are become reasonable.

So are you sacking him then?

Didnt think so.

Just now, TonyTonyTony said:

So are you sacking him then?

Didnt think so.

You are really incapable of nuance aren’t you? Saying if he doesn’t get over the line for the third time with one of the strongest group of players raises questions as to how good he’s been isn’t saying “DURRRR SACK HIM NOW.INGERLUND”

But you know that already. So when you’re prepared to have a sensible conversation come back.

11 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Oh yeah, not denying that. I will maintain that we would have won that 2004 euros if it wasn’t for Rooney getting injured as he was unplayable there. 

Wow that's tenuous 😭

Using the same logic "if Rashford scores his penalty" and "if Kane scores his penalty", right?

Fine margins. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Wow that's tenuous 😭

Using the same logic "if Rashford scores his penalty" and "if Kane scores his penalty", right?

Fine margins. 

It is, but he was genuinely unplayable until the injury. You see very often on tournaments one player drags the rest through - at that one we shouldn’t have necessarily needed it as we were the best “group” (edit - as this summer, France arguable) but Rooney was our difference maker.

Yep, a side with Neville-Campbell-Terry-Cole at the back, Beckham-Gerrard-Lampard-Scholes in midfield (although misshapen) and Owen plus one up front should have had enough without him, but he was the extra in that tournament and I think would have pulled us through to win it. (NB James was the weak link in goal but not awful)

Whatever happens this summer, I’m not sure we’ve had a better group of players (not necessarily team which was Svens England weakness) then we had that tournament.

Edited by Silvio Dante

4 minutes ago, The Bard said:

The last 2 far more important weren't they?

Yes, and at points where England were closer to achieving success, particularly the Rashford pen.

There have been big "moments" for England in tournaments in the past and  Southgate has had a couple of big ones too, which with a bit more luck could've ended very differently. 

1 hour ago, Bris Red said:

It's a shame as going forward when we have everyone fit i don't think there is a better team in the world with the options we have.

Unfortunately defensively and at goalkeeper we just aren't good enough IMO. When was the last time we had a genuine world class keeper??

Disagree, Pickfords been more than good enough for England.

Yes, stupid mistake tonight, but he’s pretty solid and he’s definitely kept us in / won us some games. That save against Colombia springs to mind immediately.

1 hour ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Arsenal will win the title. They just don’t get injuries, incredible really. Can we send someone to London Colney to understand what they are doing? 

This has to be a joke? They’ve got Gabriel, Martinelli and Saka as doubts right now plus history of injuries worse than ours a few seasons back (didn’t their guy leave and come to us or something?)

44 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Just seen this on twitter which is why you shouldn’t believe stats as that is surely absolute bollocks:

OPTA stats confirming that was Jordan Pickford's first mistake that has led to a goal in 60 England appearances.

I like Pickford but I swear he’s made mistakes in the past for England 

I like him too but thought the same. I guess they probably don’t count things he should have saved as that’s more subjective than kicking the ball straight to the other team.

Anyway, better performance tonight and over the 2 games Dunk cost us 2 goals and he won’t be anywhere near the Euros hopefully.

For those saying Southgate is tactically inept and can’t make subs, hope they watched tonight. Changed the way Foden and Bellingham played and it was much better and we created several chances we should really have scored.

Then 2 subs linked up to assist the equaliser.

Not perfect but far from panic stations.

Agree friendlies feel a bit pointless but what’s the alternative? We just go into the euros having not played since October?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

It is, but he was genuinely unplayable until the injury. You see very often on tournaments one player drags the rest through - at that one we shouldn’t have necessarily needed it as we were the best “group” (edit - as this summer, France arguable) but Rooney was our difference maker.

Rooney was never as good again