IGNORED

Exiled fans - how can we be better rewarded for loyalty?

Respect to those who live locally and this is by no means a competition or remark on other fans, I’m a Bristolian from birth but haven’t lived there for a good 20 odd years and unlikely to ever move back. That said I am a season ticket holder of over 30 years yet feel frustrated in many aspects. 

Well I guess to start with, it costs probably £100 a home game without season ticket, so every game is an away game, six hour round trip, yet you don’t feel you get plaudits for that or recognition, believe me it ruins your Saturday more than a 20 min drive home (I’ve done both and for sure it hurts more as you sit on the journey mulling it over and get home late!). 

You get the odd ‘home’ game in London fair enough, but you still pay for your match ticket and travel! 

You can’t even listen to City on Radio Bristol without paying! Because you are a city fan who doesn’t live in the area….I mean how unfair is that?! So if you can’t make a game as an exile you are essentially out of pocket either way. A local fan who cannot make it can pass the time by switching on local radio. 

Basically I think us exiled fans deserve a form of loyalty! Now whether that’s loyalty points for distance travelled overall, discount off merchandise, or a free home shirt, but minimum allow exiled ST holders free radio commentary coverage! 

I could easily get a season ticket at Arsenal tomorrow or West Ham. But they aren’t my club, City are, however I probably spend more than a season ticket at both those clubs combined to watch Champ football at AG. So, what can be done to encourage that and commend those supporters (many I know on here) who commit huge amounts of time and money to get to home games, plus the fact travel away most weeks too. Interesting debate, appreciate life is about choices, but some are enforced too and one thing we cannot lose is our first love - our football club! 

Edited by Shauntaylor85
  • Like 6
  • Robin 2

One of my team in work said he was thinking of moving to Birmingham so couldn’t do the three days a week in the office and if was made to do so would need to be compensated with a travel allowance.

Response was he could live wherever he wanted, that’s his choice. But he has to be in the office three days a week and at his own expense.

Guess the same theory applies to your support of city. Great you have a season ticket and show such commitment, but you choose to live in London. Why should that be treated differently to anyone living 5 mins away?

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Respect to those who live locally and this is by no means a competition or remark on other fans, I’m a Bristolian from birth but haven’t lived there for a good 20 odd years and unlikely to ever move back. That said I am a season ticket holder of over 30 years yet feel frustrated in many aspects. 

Well I guess to start with, it costs probably £100 a home game without season ticket, so every game is an away game, six hour round trip, yet you don’t feel you get plaudits for that or recognition, believe me it ruins your Saturday more than a 20 min drive home (I’ve done both and for sure it hurts more as you sit on the journey mulling it over and get home late!). 

You get the odd ‘home’ game in London fair enough, but you still pay for your match ticket and travel! 

You can’t even listen to City on Radio Bristol without paying! Because you are a city fan who doesn’t live in the area….I mean how unfair is that?! So if you can’t make a game as an exile you are essentially out of pocket either way. A local fan who cannot make it can pass the time by switching on local radio. 

Basically I think us exiled fans deserve a form of loyalty! Now whether that’s loyalty points for distance travelled overall, discount off merchandise, or a free home shirt, but minimum allow exiled ST holders free radio commentary coverage! 

I could easily get a season ticket at Arsenal tomorrow or West Ham. But they aren’t my club, City are, however I probably spend more than a season ticket at both those clubs combined to watch Champ football at AG. So, what can be done to encourage that and commend those supporters (many I know on here) who commit huge amounts of time and money to get to home games, plus the fact travel away most weeks too. Interesting debate, appreciate life is about choices, but some are enforced too and one thing we cannot lose is our first love - our football club! 

You can watch every game from the comfort of your own home for £25 per month.  That’s incredible value. Beats a free shirt any day. 

I usually get the NX from London to Bristol on match day. Evening games are more difficult unless I can stay over. The last night game I did was Leeds and I didn't get home until 04:45 the next morning because the Megabus doesn't leave until 1am. Cheaper than getting the train at £3.99 single. I didn't mind doing that because it was a one off but the game was so bad it's put me off doing that again! The new TV deal could see games changed to Friday or Monday nights so they'll be no-goes.

It wouldn't occur to me to expect the club to compensate me. I pay for Robins TV audio so it's not very expensive. Many people spend far more time and money following City, I'm just glad I have the time to spare. 

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

There’s a surprising amount of season card holders live outside Bristol, many of those live a good deal further away than I do.

A friend I’ve been going to games with for over 40 years lives in Manchester and the chap in the seat next to me lives in Serbia. Lots, like the OP live in London and the list goes on.

It’s a good effort by all but I don’t think any of us deserve anything extra, a free mental health check up maybe?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

If someone has had a season ticket for 30 years then they absolutely should be first in line for away tickets

Even if they've never been to an away game, and we've got Spurs away in the cup? I hope not.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I was very very close to moving  to London 20 plus years ago.  My plan was to get a ST at Wimbledon who were playing at Selhurst at the time in the Prem (ticket was much cheaper than City at the time) in order to get my fix and then watch City as and when money allowed. The move got canned last minute, but if it hadnt I would’ve just had to get on with not being able to afford to go to City every week.
Guess my point is that it would’ve been a life choice to move to London and a sacrifice would’ve had to have been City and I’m not really sure why the club would’ve had to subside my choice in any way shape or form.  

Edited by lenred
  • Like 5

I live in London too and always thought club should put on a Saturday(weekend) only season ticket offer which include the usual benefits such as st away ticket priority, as midweek games are not always feasible with work, late night finish and removed post match train service. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, StGeorge said:

Even if they've never been to an away game, and we've got Spurs away in the cup? I hope not.

If someone has had a ST for 30 years they've probably been to a few away games too. 

At the moment the current system is such that someone can buy a ST for the first time this summer, go to a few away games and then they get priority over those that have been going for 30 plus years or whatever. 

Something about that doesn't sit right with me. 

Things WILL change in season 2024/25,with FIVE of 12 Championship games to be shown live on sky each weekend

Not sure if it will be over the weekend fri/sat/sun/mon OR all

five could kick off at 12:30pm on the saturday and be up against the BT/TNT prem game

My concern is that season card sales will suffer in due course

7 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

If someone has had a ST for 30 years they've probably been to a few away games too. 

At the moment the current system is such that someone can buy a ST for the first time this summer, go to a few away games and then they get priority over those that have been going for 30 plus years or whatever. 

I completely disagree. If someone makes the effort to attend multiple away games in the current season vs someone who has only bothered to cherry pick in the last 30 years (probably Liverpool, Man City, West Ham), then they should absolutely get priority. It’s their fault for never making the effort to attend more away games.

Your proposal also massively favours older supporters, how can an 18 year old have built up 30 years of loyalty? 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Why should you be rewarded for making a decision to move away? That is your choice not to live in Bristol.

I have never lived in Bristol (ok a lot closer than london) but even in wiltshire its a 68 mile round trip and I don't have the luxury of 5 home games in Wiltshire.

The club can be criticised for a lot of things at the moment but you choosing to not live in Bristol and still follow the team is not one of them.

Surely on the Internet these days you could get a link to radio Bristol? 

• Like 2

Just now, Littlesh*t said:

Why should you be rewarded for making a decision to move away? That is your choice not to live in Bristol.

I have never lived in Bristol (ok a lot closer than london) but even in wiltshire its a 68 mile round trip and I don't have the luxury of 5 home games in Wiltshire.

The club can be criticised for a lot of things at the moment but you choosing to not live in Bristol and still follow the team is not one of them.

Surely on the Internet these days you could get a link to radio Bristol? 

Broadcasting regulations don’t permit games being broadcast online, you can only get pre and post match

29 minutes ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

In the same way coaches are put on for away games, perhaps the club could put on coaches for home games from places like London where there may be sufficient demand. 

It’s called NX or Megabus

8 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

If you are a season ticket holder you get priority on that seat for every home game.

Why should anyone get more priority for away tickets over those who travel away regularly throughout the season.?

39 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Broadcasting regulations don’t permit games being broadcast online, you can only get pre and post match

I know you can't watch them (legally) but does that go for radio as well? I would have thought radio Bristol would have a website with a live broadcast....can't say I listen to it