IGNORED

Birmingham to get a new ground?

phantom

• Admin

Birmingham City Football Club has lined up a deal to purchase land owned by Birmingham City Council, with a view to building a new stadium in the east of the city.

The former Wheels site, on Bordesley Park, is in the final stages of being sold off to an unnamed bidder, according to council documents.

The sale is due to be signed off on Wednesday during a meeting of the council’s property committee, external.

The BBC understands the purchaser for the site is Birmingham City FC.

Talks over the sale have been ongoing for weeks and have involved the club's chairman Tom Wagner, chief executive Garry Cook and Birmingham City Council's lead commissioner Max Caller, with West Midlands Mayor Andy Street acting as a mediator.

Up to 3,000 jobs could be created by developing the 48-acre site, which is just over a mile away from Birmingham city centre and less than a mile from the club's existing home at St Andrew's stadium.

A government grant of about £17m was recently secured to help clean up the site through the levelling up fund and Birmingham City Council is set to inject a further £1.9m as a condition of receiving the money.

Work to clear the site has already started as a result of the funding.

In response to questions from the BBC, the council said it could not confirm who the purchaser was at this stage.

But a statement read: "The proposed disposal will generate a capital receipt and the council will work with the purchaser to connect the job and training opportunities created to the local community.

"Future planning applications for the site will be the subject of public consultation."

Birmingham City Football Club have been approached for comment.

TAKEN FROM:  Birmingham City FC in deal with council to buy land for new stadium - BBC News

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Birmingham City Football Club has lined up a deal to purchase land owned by Birmingham City Council, with a view to building a new stadium in the east of the city.

The former Wheels site, on Bordesley Park, is in the final stages of being sold off to an unnamed bidder, according to council documents.

The sale is due to be signed off on Wednesday during a meeting of the council’s property committee, external.

The BBC understands the purchaser for the site is Birmingham City FC.

Talks over the sale have been ongoing for weeks and have involved the club's chairman Tom Wagner, chief executive Garry Cook and Birmingham City Council's lead commissioner Max Caller, with West Midlands Mayor Andy Street acting as a mediator.

Up to 3,000 jobs could be created by developing the 48-acre site, which is just over a mile away from Birmingham city centre and less than a mile from the club's existing home at St Andrew's stadium.

A government grant of about £17m was recently secured to help clean up the site through the levelling up fund and Birmingham City Council is set to inject a further £1.9m as a condition of receiving the money.

Work to clear the site has already started as a result of the funding.

In response to questions from the BBC, the council said it could not confirm who the purchaser was at this stage.

But a statement read: "The proposed disposal will generate a capital receipt and the council will work with the purchaser to connect the job and training opportunities created to the local community.

"Future planning applications for the site will be the subject of public consultation."

Birmingham City Football Club have been approached for comment.

TAKEN FROM:  Birmingham City FC in deal with council to buy land for new stadium - BBC News

Birmingham village green and dog walkers paradise?

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ooh did I see the term Sports Quarter in conjunction with Birmingham a while ago.

Wonder if they will face such hurdles from local authorities/disgruntled companies (there is a Judicial Review pertaining to the Recycling Company iirc).

Can’t see them objecting, wasn’t it Birmingham city council that was on the verge of bankruptcy? If it was this should help them out 

1 minute ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Can’t see them objecting, wasn’t it Birmingham city council that was on the verge of bankruptcy? If it was this should help them out 

Well just thinking of the issues we have had.

Not just Council but local nimbies, spurious objectors etc.

Found an article from a few years ago, interview with Mark Kelly and what we could learn from Birmingham.

My suspicion is that they get more funding per capita in varied areas than Bristol not least as they swing politically a bit more. One of those supposedly important yet strategically so.

Screenshot_20240327-202154_Chrome.thumb.jpg.00ac04ce6be984b913debe3f9160a870.jpg

Number of areas seem to get and it isn't altogether Party Political, ie party dependent, more goodies than us.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

Knighthead are their ultimate owners.

FFP fiddle? Hopefully this is investigated in due course. Challenged accordingly for FFP purposes, I dont care whether have they have an Independent Valuer.

Unless we believe that a multi billion £ organisation into PE (not Games, Private equity) needs a profile and revenue boost off lower middling Birmingham ******* City.

They appear to have paid a very generous fee, Fair Value rules..hmm.

Another reason to hope they do down.

https://www.bcfc.com/news/all/birmingham-city-partners-with-oak-view-group

🙃Nothing to see here, nothing at all..they commercially said the record deal was Fair Value apparently.

I'm going to throw stereotypes around here but Midlands clubs...arrogant and chippy in the main..Yank owned doubly so.

• Admin
56 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

So they want to build a 60k stadium alongside world class multi sport campus.,

Good luck to them, but this plan doesn’t seem grounded in reality to me. Is the football club the vehicle needed to develop the real estate? 

Hearing the guy on SSN earlier, sounds more like pie in the sky nonsense 

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

Am I right, they’ve had £19 MILLION of tax payers money, just to “clear the site”?

This ******* country…..

Is that correct??

😠

The shit that we went through with Ashton Vale and now that the Sporting Quarter might be dragging. Birmingham region last time I looked gets more capital spending than us per capita.

Just Googled it, from the levelling up fund apparently??

Seems an odd use of public money.. but then Aston Villa got their HS2 Revenue in 2019 in a very timely manner. If it was due it was due pertaining to the Training Ground but they got to address the Parliamentary Committee or one of them directly??

(Roughly)

£3m (2017-18)

£14.4m (2018-19).

About without checking exactly £2-2.5m (2019-20).

The timing was very useful for them. I hooe the Birmingham momey doesn't appear as Other/Exceptional Operating Income in their Accounts?? It did for Aston Villa.

That has settled it for me now, hope Birmingham very much go down now.

I digress seems it went to the Bankrupt Council but still...

• Thanks 1

Hmm..apparently Birmingham have risen from a revenue of £20mish 2022-23 to higher than any non Parachute club. One for the CFRU to be looking into significantly methinks especially the £9m naming rights shit.

Hope they go down, it's their turn.

• Admin
9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hope we give them 2k next year  @JerrySLO

Anything about reciprocal allocations? They give away sides 2k of a 30k capacity ground.

WBA did similar but are less objectionable perse. Still reciprocal allocations you'd hope so tbh.

I honestly don't know why we wouldn't take as much money from the away support as we can, shooting ourselves in the foot for no reason

Surely our allocation at the Blues is down to the space available unlike us restricting the Welsh sides?

This season has proved a full away end doesn't impact us...... West Ham, Forest, Leicester etc

1 minute ago, phantom said:

I honestly don't know why we wouldn't take as much money from the away support as we can, shooting ourselves in the foot for no reason

Surely our allocation at the Blues is down to the space available unlike us restricting the Welsh sides?

This season has proved a full away end doesn't impact us...... West Ham, Forest, Leicester etc

Fair. Mixture of hoping for us to gain the best advantage, mixture of thinking reciprocation is a good thing. Offset by the financials sure but they really annoy me

Hopefully they'll go down anyway. Huddeddieod away could be a decider for both albeit the negative there is it is one less nearish away game.

10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hope we give them 2k next year  @JerrySLO

Anything about reciprocal allocations? They give away sides 2k of a 30k capacity ground.

WBA did similar but are less objectionable perse. Still reciprocal allocations you'd hope so tbh.

I hate Birmingham City more than most. I'd wet myself laughing if they went down.

But are they not allowed to try to be ambitious ? To be positive and hope for better things ? I don't begrudge them that. 

To me the proposal for a new stadium is a load of nonsense. Something isn't adding up. I don't understand why they'd build a 55 to 60k capacity ground with 

training facilities when they get average 20k crowds in the 29.5k capacity available currently. They own TWO training grounds but want to build another in the city. 

The fans are already talking about a Man City style campus, NFL games, concerts and Premier League football. If they don't pull their fingers out they will be in League One next season. 
I also would love the the details on this alleged revenue increase. They have spent on infrastructure in the last 9 months but where is that turnover coming from ? 

36 minutes ago, AnAstonVillafan said:

I hate Birmingham City more than most. I'd wet myself laughing if they went down.

But are they not allowed to try to be ambitious ? To be positive and hope for better things ? I don't begrudge them that. 

To me the proposal for a new stadium is a load of nonsense. Something isn't adding up. I don't understand why they'd build a 55 to 60k capacity ground with 

training facilities when they get average 20k crowds in the 29.5k capacity available currently. They own TWO training grounds but want to build another in the city. 

The fans are already talking about a Man City style campus, NFL games, concerts and Premier League football. If they don't pull their fingers out they will be in League One next season. 
I also would love the the details on this alleged revenue increase. They have spent on infrastructure in the last 9 months but where is that turnover coming from ? 

Okay I'm annoyed as we have them 3-3.5k tickets there last year, and they only give away sides 2k. I honestly think reciprocation of allocation ratios or similar wouldn't be a terrible thing. The use of public money, maybe it is good for the City of Birmingham but for whatever reason perhaps we in Bristol waste infrastructure cash Idk but it does feel as if we get less than other places.

Mini rant over.. the income thing is unusual for a start. Their Naiming Rights deal for one feels toppy. With FFP and the potential % of revenue rule it feels imperative that the Governing bodies get a grip..

The Sports Quarter sounds ambitious, the wider picture. We have plans of something on the AG site..The framework is already there given Football, Rugby, Women's Football at times and Concerts. Some fans believe it is to our detriment, I'd say the jury is out however potential sure..stick a Hotel on there, Basketball is also due to move to the footprint, increased Parking. If most of the revenue goes to the club.

60k however, well I suppose success breeds success but looks like they are dreaming and disregarding the here and now. That absolutely looks toppy however.

The Naming Rights deal with owners..for one.

A) Feels high for the level aligned to their recent on pitch performance.

B) It is an RPT surely.

C) The Valuer was/is an expert in their field..but a quick search shows they have a been club Partner.

Screenshot_20240410-122339_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.19711d1363b7d0a294d3aa9510497b46.jpg

They've been transparent about it yes. Chunks are Performance Based yes.

I will try and find the name of the Valuer and the club partner but sure I read it a while back.

• Admin
14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Okay I'm annoyed as we have them 3-3.5k tickets there last year, and they only give away sides 2k. I honestly think reciprocation of allocation ratios or similar wouldn't be a terrible thing. The use of public money, maybe it is good for the City of Birmingham but for whatever reason perhaps we in Bristol waste infrastructure cash Idk but it does feel as if we get less than other places.

Mini rant over.. the income thing is unusual for a start. Their Naiming Rights deal for one feels toppy. With FFP and the potential % of revenue rule it feels imperative that the Governing bodies get a grip..

The Sports Quarter sounds ambitious, the wider picture. We have plans of something on the AG site..The framework is already there given Football, Rugby, Women's Football at times and Concerts. Some fans believe it is to our detriment, I'd say the jury is out however potential sure..stick a Hotel on there, Basketball is also due to move to the footprint, increased Parking. If most of the revenue goes to the club.

60k however, well I suppose success breeds success but looks like they are dreaming and disregarding the here and now. That absolutely looks toppy however.

The Naming Rights deal with owners..for one.

A) Feels high for the level aligned to their recent on pitch performance.

B) It is an RPT surely.

C) The Valuer was/is an expert in their field..but a quick search shows they have a been club Partner.

Screenshot_20240410-122339_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.19711d1363b7d0a294d3aa9510497b46.jpg

They've been transparent about it yes. Chunks are Performance Based.

The £100k per 20m impressions works out at £5 per 1000 which is broadly in line with Social Media advertising rates. Maybe even slightly undervalued.

image.png

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ian M said:

The £100k per 20m impressions works out at £5 per 1000 which is broadly in line with Social Media advertising rates. Maybe even slightly undervalued.

image.png

I'm thinking of the whole shebang.  Perhaps it all computes out but comparable deals comparable clubs, perhaps ground revenue and valuation also a factor.

It is creative but Substance v Form, Fair Value regs  Conflict of Interest.

Screenshot_20240410-124133_Chrome.thumb.jpg.21c2fa94bcd6c7c4efa546073e9da9e8.jpg

That was the firm who valued it apparently..they are a club partner of some kind.