IGNORED

Twine

RedM

56 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Perhaps. Depends on a) How much of the budget we are prepared to put that way and b) If we are under the new proposed system of 70% subject to how TV distribution changes then it gets a lot less likely.

On a football note I'd also say Whittaker destined for bigger things even at this juncture. Newly promoted to PL dependent on Club? Lazio had bid turned down, always thought Brentford too.

Thanks again.. I also don’t think for one minute that Whitaker would sign for us, and although I’d welcome it I don’t think that he’s the level of player that we must sign. My thoughts are more that we should be shopping for a couple of players ‘like’ Twine and be prepared to spend some relatively higher levels of cash to get them. The current nest egg with the current levels of ambition will last for decades.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Just to add I think I said when we completed the loan that the best result would be an underwhelming loan spell in order to keep the price down - on a bizarre basis the injury and quiet start may be long term beneficial as it means it’s a £2.5m (for example) as opposed to a £4-5m deal, which I think we’d all be amenable to as an acceptable “risk”

At no more than £3m (about right) then we shall see- I don't suppose we can place too much upon his three outings as far all being wins! - more how he shapes over the next six.

3 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

At no more than £3m (about right) then we shall see- I don't suppose we can place too much upon his three outings as far all being wins! - more how he shapes over the next six.

Think Watford was a draw. 7 points out of 9 is a good return, but causation/correlation etc!  

Sometimes a player makes the team work better (making runs, showing for the ball etc) even if they themselves don't appear to have a great game. No idea if that's the case with Twine. You'd like to think we are looking at options as it's entirely plausible that Burnley don't sell or we can't afford him or he gets a better offer.

• Like 1

Played really well yesterday and really intelligent player who judging by his interactions with other players both on & off the pitch has settled in really well.  Playing in the 10 role is clearly the best position to get the best out of him.  Really impressed with him yesterday.

7 hours ago, FNQ said:

Thanks Mr P.. certainly a lot for me to consider there for sure.

But in a nutshell, after securing FFP order by the sale of a proven young striker, if a championship club can then sell another prized asset for £20m+ and potentially one more for another £10m? Surely we can bring in a player for £12m or so if we were inclined to do so? I’m sure a more forward thinking owner could find a way to do so within the rules of FFP. 

Just to point out, Semenyo was £9m and in 22-23s accounts and stopped us breaching FFP for that cycle.  This year’s accounts include £20m for Scott, but against the backdrop of an owner saying he’s no longer happy to cover losses to the extent he has in the past.  So £20m isn’t available.  In fact I’d go as far as to say not much of it is, and it’s being used over the next two seasons to offset what SL has to put in.  However it does decrease the need to trade heavily, and allows us to be proactive in going after players.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I thought yesterday, as was said, he was peripheral again. I’d be putting a degree of that down to fitness. It is noticeable he likes a bit of a moan when tackled, even if fairly - wins a good number of free kicks but when he doesn’t is pretty incredulous!

The question on Twine really is this - he spent a large proportion of last season injured, and this season did “ok” for Hull but they were happy enough to let him go and then he’s had two months injured and three “ok” games for us.

So, we’re now two seasons away from where he did fantastically for Dons at the level below, with a couple of bad injuries and a patchy record at our level.

There is a player there no doubt. But I’m not sure at present that we should be spending a significant fee on him bearing the above in mind. The next six are very much an audition, but if his name wasn’t Scott Twine, how many of us would spunk £5m (alleged) on a player with the above record?

Personally I wouldn’t be spending £5m on him.

I’m pleased that we pivoted to Azaz for £2.5m.  That shows the right player is out there even if we didn’t get him.  I think Burnley overpaid for Twine, and we are being asked to pay for that.

Sykes and Mehmeti (plus Stokes) ain’t bad either.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Just to point out, Semenyo was £9m and in 22-23s accounts and stopped us breaching FFP for that cycle.  This year’s accounts include £20m for Scott, but against the backdrop of an owner saying he’s no longer happy to cover losses to the extent he has in the past.  So £20m isn’t available.  In fact I’d go as far as to say not much of it is, and it’s being used over the next two seasons to offset what SL has to put in.  However it does decrease the need to trade heavily, and allows us to be proactive in going after players.

Personally I wouldn’t be spending £5m on him.

I’m pleased that we pivoted to Azaz for £2.5m.  That shows the right player is out there even if we didn’t get him.  I think Burnley overpaid for Twine, and we are being asked to pay for that.

Sykes and Mehmeti (plus Stokes) ain’t bad either.

What’s your thoughts on Murphy, Dave? Will he be around the first team next season, or are we waiting for 25-26 in League One?

42 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

What’s your thoughts on Murphy, Dave? Will he be around the first team next season, or are we waiting for 25-26 in League One?

If fit he ought to be pushing.  I’d hoped to see him make some squads this season.

52 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

I’d look at the other thread on him. Essentially he looks to be carrying an injury/condition and it depends how chronic that is as to when or if we see him wear the shirt.

My thoughts are a ‘clever’ player like Twine will need longer to get on the same wave length as the players around him.

We’ve seen a few misplaced passes and a collision with Tommy, so he’s got 8/9 games to show some promise.

11 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Perhaps. Depends on a) How much of the budget we are prepared to put that way and b) If we are under the new proposed system of 70% subject to how TV distribution changes then it gets a lot less likely.

On a football note I'd also say Whittaker destined for bigger things even at this juncture. Newly promoted to PL dependent on Club? Lazio had bid turned down, always thought Brentford too.

I was chatting to a very knowledgeable steward yesterday. He said scouts were taking an interest in Whittaker, some clubs were making regular visits. He mentioned Tottenham, Crystal Palace and Leicester as the most interested.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RedM said:

I was chatting to a very knowledgeable steward yesterday. He said scouts were taking an interest in Whittaker, some clubs were making regular visits. He mentioned Tottenham, Crystal Palace and Leicester as the most interested.

Hmm... Given recent news I'm not sure Leicester will be signing too many players in the net year or so. Palace would be a good fit.

On 02/04/2024 at 00:45, Dastardly and Muttley said:

The next Tomlin. We’ll spend big on him to back Manning, and he’ll revert to L1 standard at best whilst being undroppable due to the fee and being Manning’s man.

There's nothing to suggest Twine has any of the (well documented) attitude issues Tomlin had been showing long before he joined us.

Edited by transfer reader

8 hours ago, RedM said:

Wouldn’t be surprised. 26 G/As in a pretty average team (goal scoring wise) in the championship alone will turn heads, especially at only 23. Add to the fact he’s got the maturity/game intelligence of someone with more experience and the technicals to go along with it he will be head hunted come summer imo, especially if plymouth go down. 

Could see him going to any of the teams vying for auto-promotion. Wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up at a lower league prem side either. 

Eze/Olise replacement at palace maybe? 

• Like 1