IGNORED

Twine

RedM

I really like him, sadly he isn't ours or likely to be. I wonder how different the season would be (on and off the pitch) if we had him available for all matches since January?

I liked what he did today, he made a difference and definitely made us move forward a lot more, 

Not sure the club will want to spend the reported £4 million to bring him if full time next season thought, get the feeling he will end up at a bigger club offered Han us 

1 minute ago, Dolman Block B said:

Thought we took him on loan with a view to a permanent signing at the end of the season ?

Or I got that wrong ?

No was just a loan no agreement to buy at end of season

Just now, Dolman Block B said:

Thought we took him on loan with a view to a permanent signing at the end of the season ?

Or I got that wrong ?

We wanted to sign him in permanently in January but Burnley were asking for more than we were willing to pay - there's no indication that Burnley will ask for less in the summer. So probably unlikely .

If Manning is going to be given the summer they have to back him and pay for Twine. We need 2 or 3 quality players this summer to play the way he wants. Twine plus a striker plus an upgrade on Mehmeti (someone who can beat a player but consistently make the correct final ball). None of these will be cheap. There is financial headroom particularly if Conway is sold. The team is under-invested for various reasons over the last 3 years and needs an injection of quality to play this way successfully. We can see the quality that Twine gives us and we won't get away with trying to do it on the cheap. We will try and do it cheaply though. He is their man. They need to back him financially. My hunch is that they won't.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Buster Footman's T shirt said:

If Manning is going to be given the summer they have to back him and pay for Twine. We need 2 or 3 quality players this summer to play the way he wants. Twine plus a striker plus an upgrade on Mehmeti (someone who can beat a player but consistently make the correct final ball). None of these will be cheap. There is financial headroom particularly if Conway is sold. The team is under-invested for various reasons over the last 3 years and needs an injection of quality to play this way successfully. We can see the quality that Twine gives us and we won't get away with trying to do it on the cheap. We will try and do it cheaply though. He is their man. They need to back him financially. My hunch is that they won't.

Can we also add Whittaker in the Summer also. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, RedM said:

I really like him, sadly he isn't ours or likely to be. I wonder how different the season would be (on and off the pitch) if we had him available for all matches since January?

Let’s wait & see on that.

Today’s result significantly increases the likelihood of Manning being in charge next season & it wouldn’t surprise me at all if he made signing him his number one priority.

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Thought he was ok today.  Wanted too long on the ball around the box.  Very weak in the challenge.  Sykes made a very big / bigger impact when he came on.

I think Owers summed it up quite well on  Radio Bristol - he was on the edges of the game. Whether that was a lack of fitness, lack of familiarity or something else I don’t know but I don’t think he was the factor today that made us play better.

Does like a whine when tackled as well!

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Today’s result significantly increases the likelihood of Manning being in charge next season & it wouldn’t surprise me at all if he made signing him his number one priority.

You may well be right, but imho Manning’s number one priority should be getting Matty James to sign a one year extension.

• Like 13

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Thought he was ok today.  Wanted too long on the ball around the box.  Very weak in the challenge.  Sykes made a very big / bigger impact when he came on.

For the game time he has had in the last two months or so, I as I said I liked the look of him. Fully match fit I would expect him to be a step above Sykes.

• Like 1

• Admin
25 minutes ago, Buster Footman's T shirt said:

Someone who beats their man as often as Mehmeti does but then makes better decisions plays in the Prem. You either accept someone who beats their man less often with that better decision making when he occasionally does or you work with / pray that Mehmeti’s decision making can improve (not impossible at his age / with confidence of other good decisions)

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yes I would agree with that. We shouldn't be jumping in and paying a huge fee, even if it was possible. I just enjoyed what he was trying to do, being positive and bringing players into the game with intelligent passes rather than the usual hit and hope approach.

32 minutes ago, Old School B block said:

Can we also add Whittaker in the Summer also. 

Very, very good player. I’d take him over Twine every day of the week.

13 minutes ago, RedM said:

For the game time he has had in the last two months or so, I as I said I liked the look of him. Fully match fit I would expect him to be a step above Sykes.

I think Sykes played anywhere forward of RWB is hugely underrated.  Although I’ve seen load of Twine over the years, I still don’t know how LM intends to play his more attacking midfielders.  Hopefully I’ll know in 7 more games.  Thought we saw that Knight is better playing facing forward than back to goal.

Will also help when we know the fate of James and Williams.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think Sykes played anywhere forward of RWB is hugely underrated.

Agreed. I was desperate for Manning to get him on the pitch. When Sykes is fit, for me he always plays on the right and not Mehmeti. 

Mehmeti, what a frustrating player!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Very, very good player. I’d take him over Twine every day of the week.

I think Sykes played anywhere forward of RWB is hugely underrated.  Although I’ve seen load of Twine over the years, I still don’t know how LM intends to play his more attacking midfielders.  Hopefully I’ll know in 7 more games.  Thought we saw that Knight is better playing facing forward than back to goal.

Will also help when we know the fate of James and Williams.

agree, Twine being on the pitch allowed Knight to play deeper and had his best game for ages. Not sure Twine is the second coming, Easter or not

He was good today but would people be so excited if he wasn’t Scott Twine? His decision making in the box was a bit slow and off the pace, but, to be expected as he hasn’t played for a while. The true test will be if he plays regularly till the end of the season. If he plays well, and Burnley want to sell him, the crunch will be the fee, which was £4.5m in January. As City’s original target, Finn Azaz went for “only” £2.5m would City pay £4.5 for Twine? Or would Burnley reduce the fee? Or would Burnley, if relegated, decide to keep him as he’s a good Championship player? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dolman Block B said:

Or I got that wrong ?

Nope view to a permanent if we want him we have to pay burnley there asking price of 5 million plus make him our highest paid player I'd imagine.

Edited by BCFC31
  • Like 1

Just now, pongo88 said:

He was good today but would people be so excited if he wasn’t Scott Twine? His decision making in the box was a bit slow and off the pace, but, to be expected as he hasn’t played for a while. The true test will be if he plays regularly till the end of the season. If he plays well, and Burnley want to sell him, the crunch will be the fee, which was £4.5m in January. As City’s original target, Finn Azaz went for “only” £2.5m would City pay £4.5 for Twine? Or would Burnley reduce the fee? Or would Burnley, if relegated, decide to keep him as he’s a good Championship player? 

Depends what Twine wants. He’s guaranteed first team football here under Manning, doubt he’d get it at Burnley.

9 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Nope view to a permanent if we want him we have to pay burnley there asking price of 5 million plus make him our highest paid player I'd imagine.

Yep, pretty simple.  Not saying there might not be some haggling, but Burnley want (allegedly) £5m whether they stay up or come down.  If they come down he’ll be be wanted by them, so “City, if you want him, pay the fee”.

11 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Depends what Twine wants. He’s guaranteed first team football here under Manning, doubt he’d get it at Burnley.

The ball isn’t really in his court.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, pretty simple.  Not saying there might not be some haggling, but Burnley want (allegedly) £5m whether they stay up or come down.  If they come down he’ll be be wanted by them, so “City, if you want him, pay the fee”.

I’ve been told for the last however many years that players hold all the power and that a club can’t stop an unhappy player leaving when I’ve complained about us selling players. What’s changed now?

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

He has a long contract I beileve at Burnley so twine will be going no where unless Burnley accept a sizable fee and he won't come here cheap on the wage front eaither for me twine needs to have an absolute stormer the next 7 games otherwise isit wise paying double what boro paid for finn azaz? And paying him perhaps double the wages azaz will be getting at boro ? Unfortunately I don't trust our recruitment to find a better and more affordable alternative.

23 minutes ago, KegCity said:

I’ve been told for the last however many years that players hold all the power and that a club can’t stop an unhappy player leaving when I’ve complained about us selling players. What’s changed now?

Depends on whether you’re selling up or selling down to an extent. If Burnley want to keep him, selling down to us becomes their gift imho, not Twine’s…and it will mainly boil down to whether City pay the amount Burnley want.  That’s what happened in January.

City -we would like to sign Twine

Burnley - £5m

BC - how about £2.5m

BU- no, £5m

BC - how about a loan with £2.5m option to buy

BU - no, loan with £5m

Thats pretty much how it went I’m reliably informed.  Twine had no bargaining power.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1