IGNORED

Fantastic Max!

reddogkev

Never thought he'd be our long term number 1, happy to admit I was wrong as things stand. Keeper was one of the first positions imo to strengthen for some years now but Max is doing a great job at the moment. He's surpassed my expectations and good luck to him.

I'd like to see some backup to challenge him, but he's absolutely deserving of his place at the moment. Good for him (and us).

• Like 2

15 hours ago, glynriley said:

We had a discussion in the pub pre match. Would you rather have Max or Bentley. I was the only one , out of 8 , who said Max. Felt like a dog with 2 dicks after ✌️

Decent keeper is Max. 

That's funny. I live next to two dicks with a dog.  Have no idea what they think of Max's goalkeeping performances, though. 

Very good keeper.  Exudes far more calmness than Bents ever did.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Red Ferret said:

He's a very good goalkeeper. Some of his short passes out to our defenders give me a bit of the fear though 

We were lucky to get away with the one thst was intercepted by Vardy. That was a gift he'd bury 8 times out of 10. 

Tbh if they'd scored then Max would've gone from hero to zero. 

But my view is - hey - if every aspect of his game was perfect he'd not be playing in the Championship.  He had a generally very good game. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Red Ferret said:

He's a very good goalkeeper. Some of his short passes out to our defenders give me a bit of the fear though 

In most games nowadays with managers wanting to play out from the back at least one short pass out to a defender results in a mistake and attempt on goal/ a goal. 

22 hours ago, tin said:

At the risk of being contrarian, I thought Max did what I would expect of him. All of his saves were good reactions to shots that were close to him. Peak-form Vardy probably scores a hat-trick today and he looked a shadow of himself. 

Not sure I agree with you (although I do respect your viewpoint)....Max can only make saves based on what is played in front of him.

Vardy wasn't on his game but Max was more than equal to the 3 that should have been nailed on for him to score. (Max in the wrong position = Vardy Hat Trick)

Vardy doesn't dictate Max's starting position or broader positioning......hIS save across the goal was excellent. To pass it off as you would have expected is a little unfair / Dismissive.

I would have expected Vardy to score....he didn't...why?......out Keeper.

As I say...just my opinion....you are also entitled to yours.

23 hours ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Played well today, 3 very good saves from Vardy. 

distribution still poor, and if we’re all being honest, he isn’t the long term answer to get top 6, albeit we have more pressing areas to improve in fist. 

We have many, many, more pressing issues before it comes anywhere close through that list to get to keeper though, surely?

Him, Dickie, Vyner, Pring, Tanner, have all been solid. McCrorie good in flashes but expect him to need the full summer to get bsck to top shape.

It's the mess in front of them Tinnion needs to sort in the summer.

TGH and Bird - I don't see being the answer being blunt. Hoping the latter will surprise me on paper but the verdict will come once he has 15 games under his belt.

The former doesn't provide much evidence in BTs favour - jury is out still.

Especially if he's hoping one of Stokes and Murphy are stepping up next season to cover King, Williams, and James leaving.

That's not touching on the lack of wide options we have and the poor form of our forwards.

We have James, King, Williams, Twine (Loan), Mebude (Loan), all leaving as stands. Add to that Bajic heading for the exits. Then youth clearout - think 7 U21s are out of contract (Wiles-Richards, Leesson, Acey, Idehen, François, Wood, Backwell.

Gives some room for Tinnion to maneuver, if, for example we get circa £3m for Conway (not getting anymore than that for him with his return this season imo). Should be enough to get two in, plus a couple of frees. Whether that's enough to make this Mannings squad is a completely different question.

Apologies for the spiel - I've ended up just yammering.

23 hours ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Played well today, 3 very good saves from Vardy. 

distribution still poor, and if we’re all being honest, he isn’t the long term answer to get top 6, albeit we have more pressing areas to improve in fist. 

Chatting shit..

And I'm being kind.

22 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Chatting shit..

And I'm being kind.

So you’re saying-

His distribution wasn’t/isn’t poor? 
and he is the long term answer for us to be a top 6 team? 

30 minutes ago, Fuber said:

We have many, many, more pressing issues before it comes anywhere close through that list to get to keeper though, surely?

Him, Dickie, Vyner, Pring, Tanner, have all been solid. McCrorie good in flashes but expect him to need the full summer to get bsck to top shape.

It's the mess in front of them Tinnion needs to sort in the summer.

TGH and Bird - I don't see being the answer being blunt. Hoping the latter will surprise me on paper but the verdict will come once he has 15 games under his belt.

The former doesn't provide much evidence in BTs favour - jury is out still.

Especially if he's hoping one of Stokes and Murphy are stepping up next season to cover King, Williams, and James leaving.

That's not touching on the lack of wide options we have and the poor form of our forwards.

We have James, King, Williams, Twine (Loan), Mebude (Loan), all leaving as stands. Add to that Bajic heading for the exits. Then youth clearout - think 7 U21s are out of contract (Wiles-Richards, Leesson, Acey, Idehen, François, Wood, Backwell.

Gives some room for Tinnion to maneuver, if, for example we get circa £3m for Conway (not getting anymore than that for him with his return this season imo). Should be enough to get two in, plus a couple of frees. Whether that's enough to make this Mannings squad is a completely different question.

Apologies for the spiel - I've ended up just yammering.

Agreed- more important areas initially, My view is you don’t win promotion with MOL as your keeper  

1 hour ago, MelksRed said:

Not sure I agree with you (although I do respect your viewpoint)....Max can only make saves based on what is played in front of him.

Vardy wasn't on his game but Max was more than equal to the 3 that should have been nailed on for him to score. (Max in the wrong position = Vardy Hat Trick)

Vardy doesn't dictate Max's starting position or broader positioning......hIS save across the goal was excellent. To pass it off as you would have expected is a little unfair / Dismissive.

I would have expected Vardy to score....he didn't...why?......out Keeper.

As I say...just my opinion....you are also entitled to yours.

All fair points. Football is all about opinions and I respect yours as much as most others.

You’re dead right to say he could only make saves based on what’s in front of him, but I disagree on your reasons why Vardy didn’t score. I thought Vardy looked like age is catching up with him yesterday; he’s usually razor sharp and I think Iheanacho probably buries those chances. 

For clarity, not once have I said Max didn’t play well. I said he did what I expect of him, which is to save shots that are pretty close him. He was a solid 7, but not an 8 like Roberts, James or Pring IMO.

Anyway,  City won so I don’t care if people agree or disagree. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tin said:

All fair points. Football is all about opinions and I respect yours as much as most others.

You’re dead right to say he could only make saves based on what’s in front of him, but I disagree on your reasons why Vardy didn’t score. I thought Vardy looked like age is catching up with him yesterday; he’s usually razor sharp and I think Iheanacho probably buries those chances. 

For clarity, not once have I said Max didn’t play well. I said he did what I expect of him, which is to save shots that are pretty close him. He was a solid 7, but not an 8 like Roberts, James or Pring IMO.

Anyway,  City won so I don’t care if people agree or disagree. 

A keeper can only ever save what’s there to be saved, or not, unlike an outfield playing that can have a positive affect, Create or score goals. Max saved every shot yesterday, there were no worldies because they weren’t required, however he did make several vital saves which kept us in the game. I’m not sure what else he could have done. 

On 29/03/2024 at 22:19, IAmNick said:

Never thought he'd be our long term number 1, happy to admit I was wrong as things stand. Keeper was one of the first positions imo to strengthen for some years now but Max is doing a great job at the moment. He's surpassed my expectations and good luck to him.

I'd like to see some backup to challenge him, but he's absolutely deserving of his place at the moment. Good for him (and us).

Think the second paragraph is exactly how the club views the situation.

I fully expect a far more experienced keeper to arrive this summer & Bajic to get fed up of waiting for his chance & return home.

Don’t for a minute think it will be a big name, probably a keeper that’s out of contract in League One or a Championship squad one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Think the second paragraph is exactly how the club views the situation.

I fully expect a far more experienced keeper to arrive this summer & Bajic to get fed up of waiting for his chance & return home.

Don’t for a minute think it will be a big name, probably a keeper that’s out of contract in League One or a Championship squad one.

The Football Department is on the lookout for an 18-20 year old League 1 keeper with 1500 games under his belt……

Me and the boy like Max, always have, even when he was waiting behind Bent’s to get some chances/ game time, we always thought he’d end up as our first choice keeper. 

We both sit in the South Stand, right behind the goal, and yeah he makes some mistakes, but often it is when he is trying to distribute the ball quickly/ to catch teams on the counter…

Agree with most on here, he defo needs some real competition from the bench, but can’t remember when he last missed a game, and he totally deserves his place in the team. 

Oh, and he gave the boy one of his gloves a few games back - star!