IGNORED

Vital info for those heading to Plymouth by train

Cross country trains take approx two hours to get to Plymouth from BTM and depart at 45 minutes past the hour

GWR trains take approx 2 hours and 35 minutes.

We have not had a 3pm kick against Plymouth since 2008,that's SIXTEEN years ago

So advise sitting on the left hand side of the train,where the views are stunning in direction of travel on the way to Plymouth

Wellington monument,Dawlish Warren aerial and for the train buffs on the approach to Plymouth Laira diesel depot.

Then when you arrive at Plymouth station,Home park floodlights can be seen on your right hand side and up the hill

If your gonna arrive early(like me) I am gonna have a trip round bay to see where the Royal navy ships are based

and to mention the class 23 Frigate HMS Bristol is also there

Group save is available on GWR trains BUT not on Cross country trains,split ticketing is available  on GWR and Cross country trains

If your joining at Bristol Parkway and any cross country train is cancelled,get yourself down to Filton Abbey Wood and connect into a GWR Plymouth/Penzance train

Please stock up on your liquid requirements,packets of crisps and chocolate bars in advance it will be cheaper and the trains will be that busy the food/drinks trolley will struggle to get to your seat/s.

If you want to listen to Radio Devon's commentary of the game it will be on 95:7 and DAB

We have beaten two teams home and away so far this season Middlesbrough and Swansea.

We still have the chance of beating another three teams at both home and away this season,Sunderland and Rotherham and Plymouth on Monday.

The return cross country train is at 17:27pm,I have not seen anything about a return football special after the game.

If your gonna use the Cross country service suggest reserving a seat on the 17:27pm service AND

tweet Cross country asking if they might put on a ten coach set for the 17:27 service.

Lets hope for a very good day in Devonshire.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Theres not a better train journey from Exeter to Newton abbot, also looking towards tavistock I king Charles owns some land, passing the duchy on the left hand side

You are King Charles?

Proper celeb supporter, move over Baldrick.

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Nope, HMS Bristol was a Type 82 Destroyer whose final role in the Navy after leaving Frontline service in 1991 was as a harbour training vessel in Portsmouth. She is now berthed at the top end of Fareham Creek in Portsmouth harbour with a number of other ships, awaiting disposal by scrapping. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

Nope, HMS Bristol was a Type 82 Destroyer whose final role in the Navy after leaving Frontline service in 1991 was as a harbour training vessel in Portsmouth. She is now berthed at the top end of Fareham Creek in Portsmouth harbour with a number of other ships, awaiting disposal by scrapping. 

It's posts like this that put winning a game of football into perspective.

Clear ,concise and informative.

Well played Sir

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I’ll volunteer to balance the train up by sitting on the right, I’m lucky enough to see the views all the time.

And as tempting as frigates and diesel depots sound, on this occasion I’m more interested in pubs for away fans or fans nor wearing colours?

I haven’t watched City there for over two decades and always remember getting a drink was problematic. 

8 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

Glad you posted that info,

are there any Royal Navy book shops buying/selling anything to do with the Royal Navy in the Plymouth area?

If you get bored and have time, you can always pop over to Home Park and watch a game of football...

• Haha 14

4 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

Good to know my 22 years service in the Royal Navy wasn't a total waste then.

🤣

MR I remember Plymouth well as I served in the Royal Air Force and was based at RAF Mountbatten (sadly now a housing estate)

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

5 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

Bang on! I used to love seeing her berthed in Portsmouth on my visits during my nearly 40 years in the MOD. HMS Bristol looked like the sort of warship that every young boy of my generation drew, and a far cry from today's modern naval ships. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

The return cross country train is at 17:27pm,I have not seen anything about a return football special after the game.

If your gonna use the Cross country service suggest reserving a seat on the 17:27pm service AND

tweet Cross country asking if they might put on a ten coach set for the 17:27 service.

Good luck with that , it’s booked a 4 car Plymouth to Leeds . It’s going to be cosy ….:laughcont:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, weepywall said:

Condensed version...should be plenty of seats on the right and buy your crisps and chocolate when you get to Plymouth.......in all seriousness...thanks for the info NTTDS 👍

It’s a myth that the on train catering is more expensive than station shops or shops nearby, it’s at least on a par if not in many cases cheaper . :yawn:

13 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Cross country trains take approx two hours to get to Plymouth from BTM and depart at 45 minutes past the hour

GWR trains take approx 2 hours and 35 minutes.

We have not had a 3pm kick against Plymouth since 2008,that's SIXTEEN years ago

So advise sitting on the left hand side of the train,where the views are stunning in direction of travel on the way to Plymouth

Wellington monument,Dawlish Warren aerial and for the train buffs on the approach to Plymouth Laira diesel depot.

Then when you arrive at Plymouth station,Home park floodlights can be seen on your right hand side and up the hill

If your gonna arrive early(like me) I am gonna have a trip round bay to see where the Royal navy ships are based

Group save is available on GWR trains BUT not on Cross country trains,split ticketing is available  on GWR and Cross country trains

If your joining at Bristol Parkway and any cross country train is cancelled,get yourself down to Filton Abbey Wood and connect into a GWR Plymouth/Penzance train

Please stock up on your liquid requirements,packets of crisps and chocolate bars in advance it will be cheaper and the trains will be that busy the food/drinks trolley will struggle to get to your seat/s.

If you want to listen to Radio Devon's commentary of the game it will be on 95:7 and DAB

We have beaten two teams home and away so far this season Middlesbrough and Swansea.

We still have the chance of beating another three teams at both home and away this season,Sunderland and Rotherham and Plymouth on Monday.

Lets hope for a very good day in Devonshire.

Cheers, mate. Where were you with all this 39 years ago (yesterday)? What would you advise if they slow the thing up to a crawl on its approach into the station and then they don’t want to let us get off and get to the game, and put a chopper up overhead?

3 hours ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Cheers, mate. Where were you with all this 39 years ago (yesterday)? What would you advise if they slow the thing up to a crawl on its approach into the station and then they don’t want to let us get off and get to the game, and put a chopper up overhead?

Crikey! 39 years?

10 hours ago, oldstandrobin said:

MR I remember Plymouth well as I served in the Royal Air Force and was based at RAF Mountbatten (sadly now a housing estate)

Familiar with that area although not the RAF Base as I worked for a bit at RM Turnchapel on the landing craft which were just around the corner. That base closed in 2014.

21 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

I’ll volunteer to balance the train up by sitting on the right, I’m lucky enough to see the views all the time.

And as tempting as frigates and diesel depots sound, on this occasion I’m more interested in pubs for away fans or fans nor wearing colours?

I haven’t watched City there for over two decades and always remember getting a drink was problematic. 

Do they still dislike us down there Ralph when I use to go down there as a young un it was always pretty lively , quite a lot of animosity towards us bit like Swindon do 

21 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

See you in the penny-come-quick 😁

11 minutes ago, redkev said:

Do they still dislike us down there Ralph when I use to go down there as a young un it was always pretty lively , quite a lot of animosity towards us bit like Swindon do 

Similar fans to Swindon, always ran 🏃‍♂️ 😀

7 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

Familiar with that area although not the RAF Base as I worked for a bit at RM Turnchapel on the landing craft which were just around the corner. That base closed in 2014.

I was there 70-71 and posted to Cyprus from there. Bit of a difference !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redkev said:

Certainly the fans I know that are around my age don’t have a problem with us at all but it wouldn’t surprise me if the younger fans from both sides had a little scuffle in the park at some point. 

36 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Certainly the fans I know that are around my age don’t have a problem with us at all but it wouldn’t surprise me if the younger fans from both sides had a little scuffle in the park at some point. 

City fans scuffling in a park , where have I heard that before 😂😂😂