IGNORED

Vital info for those heading to Plymouth by train

2 hours ago, TV Tom said:

Similar fans to Swindon, always ran 🏃‍♂️ 😀

Funny story , I remember being down there in a transit van ( builders type no windows or seats in the back ) I was driving and had 2 lads sat next to me , got stuck in traffic near the ground close to kick off time a fairly large group of Plymouth fans had come out of the pub and were heading for the ground when one punched the lad sat in the passenger seat through the open window , little did they know there were about 15 lads sat in the back of the van , within seconds back doors fly open and Plymouth fans scattered in all directions , god we had some fun back in those days and before I get slagged off by some not all violence/hooligan related by any means 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, redkev said:

Funny story , I remember being down there in a transit van ( builders type no windows or seats in the back ) I was driving and had 2 lads sat next to me , got stuck in traffic near the ground close to kick off time a fairly large group of Plymouth fans had come out of the pub and were heading for the ground when one punched the lad sat in the passenger seat through the open window , little did they know there were about 15 lads sat in the back of the van , within seconds back doors fly open and Plymouth fans scattered in all directions , god we had some fun back in those days and before I get slagged off by some not all violence/hooligan related by any means 

Kev, I get the impression from a few of your posts that you quite liked a bit of a scuffle! 🤣🤣🤣

I guess it was part of the era.

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Kev, I get the impression from a few of your posts that you quite liked a bit of a scuffle! 🤣🤣🤣

I guess it was part of the era.

That was a long time ago Dave , can honestly say never went looking for it but always went in a group and obviously attracted attention more time than not usually ended up hand bags at dawn but Cardiff / Newport / Aldershot / Oxford away got quite heated to say the least , like you say though it was just part of an era I was brought up in ,

could be worse it could be now when kids are stabbing kids , no respect for the law , and no respect for people or people’s property , not proud of what happened back then but most times it was quite funny .

mostly supported my team all over the country spending nearly all my earnings following them , trains weekends away food beer merchandise and many times nearly a divorce, ( thank god we never got to Europe regularly) done that Italian cup thing luckily just  before I was married . 
Travelled to Chesterfield , York , Carlisle , and other outposts sometimes on my own for night games getting back in early hours and then off to work at 6 ( usually after a defeat ) 

I do put it into perspective the bore football ( few decent games though ) under manning I assure some of the younger fans things have been much worse ( but I’m still not accepting rubbish now just because I have seen worse before ) 

so there is a bit more to me Dave than the odd scuffle ( I do know where your coming from though 😂)

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, redkev said:

could be worse it could be now when kids are stabbing kids , no respect for the law , and no respect for people or people’s property , not proud of what happened back then but most times it was quite funny .

Tell me about it.  In my “going down town” days I saw the change from someone getting a bit of a “hiding” to the first “screwdriver stabbing”.  Not that I’d be one to join in (I’m soft as shite), but it seemed more the case of time to be getting as far away as possible.

My wife worked with Mikey’s mum…it’s a very different world out there now.

1 hour ago, redkev said:

Were you there the year of the car showroom "incident" ? Plymouth fan swinging an axe above his head..they retreated to the showroom and a fair few City fans decided they didn't like the glass front and got rid of most of it.

46 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Were you there the year of the car showroom "incident" ? Plymouth fan swinging an axe above his head..they retreated to the showroom and a fair few City fans decided they didn't like the glass front and got rid of most of it.

Remember that. 
Think that was the same year a coach load went down the night before and caused havoc in town. Most got nicked. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Slippin cider said:

Good luck with that , it’s booked a 4 car Plymouth to Leeds . It’s going to be cosy ….:laughcont:

I was on a 4 car service returning from Bristol to Nottingham yesterday. I felt sorry for the poor sods who were travelling the whole journey from Penzance to Edinburgh!  Catering was available from Birmingham. How Cross Country continue to keep this "service " is beyond me?

• Like 1

I’m not sure how old @Never to the dark side is, but if he’s of a certain age he’ll remember the days when British Railways used to run football specials to matches. I went on one to Plymouth. These were good fun as everyone on board was a supporter, though I was a bit too young to embrace the finer aspects of the trip. Unfortunately, the hooligan element got involved with some of these specials across the country and wrecked the carriages, though not City ones, resulting in them being cancelled. It would be great if they came back but there’s no hope of this as there’s no spare capacity. Perhaps during an international break we could all take over a train from Temple Meads to Sea Mills to watch Manor Farm

Edited by pongo88
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I’m not sure how old @Never to the dark side is, but if he’s of a certain age he’ll remember the days when British Railways used to run football specials to matches. I went on one to Plymouth. These were good fun as everyone on board was a supporter, though I was a bit too young to embrace the finer aspects of the trip. Unfortunately, the hooligan element got involved with some of these specials across the country and wrecked the carriages, though not City ones, resulting in them being cancelled. It would be great if they came back but there’s no hope of this as there’s no spare capacity. Perhaps during an international break we could all take over a train from Temple Meads to Sea Mills to watch Manor Farm

Went on plenty of those...remember the train breaking down on the way to Orient..fairly sure we had one to Gillingham one season and possibly York..awful trains..no heating and most of the light bulbs were unscrewed and thrown out the windows before we had left Temple Meads.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Went on plenty of those...remember the train breaking down on the way to Orient..fairly sure we had one to Gillingham one season and possibly York..awful trains..no heating and most of the light bulbs were unscrewed and thrown out the windows before we had left Temple Meads.

I remember that Orient one. Stuck in the middle of Salisbury Plain for hours and it was bloody freezing! I think we got free tickets for the Gills trip as compo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Tell me about it.  In my “going down town” days I saw the change from someone getting a bit of a “hiding” to the first “screwdriver stabbing”.  Not that I’d be one to join in (I’m soft as shite), but it seemed more the case of time to be getting as far away as possible.

My wife worked with Mikey’s mum…it’s a very different world out there now.

Different world and even with all the tinkering people are doing to try to make it the perfect world I’m afraid it’s not a good place 

2 hours ago, weepywall said:

👍 I was looking at a nice ford escourt 😂😂😂

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, weepywall said:

That was The Cherry Tree incident.

Parked up and wandered around the back streets some distance from the Ground looking for a pub and just by chance spotted The Cherry Tree at the end of a pleasant, quiet residential street. Suddenly and bizarrely, out of nowhere a mob of a couple of hundred charged down the road in front of the pub, and started smashing up cars in the adjoining car forecourt. You may be right about the Plymouth fans, but my recollection was that it was the car sales owner who came out swinging an axe and chased the mob down the road. Truly, was like a scene from the Wild West, and then some.

Anyhow, nothing can stop a man from his pint. Went into pub, a few scattered City in there drinking as if nothing had happened.

Think the coaches that had dropped off the mob had all their tyres slashed during the match in retribution. 

Just another of many fun days in the lifelong saga of following City home and away. 

• Like 2

• Admin
11 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

I have to say after the Brazil game recently it was a breeze getting away. 

Left the ground when added time board was raised, walked straight onto the platform at Wembley Stadium station, waited less than five minutes for a train, before we knew it we were getting off at Marylebone 

5 hours ago, weepywall said:

That Gillingham game was mid ‘80s with Bobby Hutch’ getting a couple in a 3-1 win, always remember the train going right underneath the massive stand at Stamford Bridge

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

Not sure if this MIGHT effect any traveling to the Plymouth game

signal problems at Frome and electricity issue between Swansea and Cardiff

Effected us, had to drive to Bath spa.