IGNORED

Liam's dilemma

I posted last week what an excellent pre-match interview Matty James gave. Yesterday showed he is right to praise Liam so highly for all the detailed work on the opposition; we did one over on Leicester. How many times in the last few seasons have we come away from AG and said the opposition had 'done a job on us' by working out our limited tactics? Plenty times. I reckon the coaching team did a great job in setting up to beat Leicester and Vardy's chances apart (he must be mates with Zak!) we were well worth the win. So many of us walked back to the Robins buzzing - what a great feeling

So the post asks a hyp0thetical question. If Liam has to choose between Matty or Williams to retain who would you choose? Assume fitness and wages are identical

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

7 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

A win and Bristol Sport bot posts.

Tiresome.

You could have asked the hypothetical question without the gushing praise.

You could also have asked why it appears to be the case that James is not being renewed in what would be a brainless decision - you’ve got a line in, so ask.

Imagine praising our manager! What a bastard. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Facepalm 6

Just now, Tim Monaghan said:

Ghostie. You know as well as I do that the OP is one of the bot army. Its a valid question as to James or Williams to which the answer is the former any day of the week but the caching of the question is tiresome.

And several ITK people have indicated James isn’t being renewed. Unless that is for personal reasons on his behalf, the broader question is why someone, who as proved yesterday is integral to our team, is being jettisoned. Because it is the literal definition of a no brainer to keep him on.

And, back to the OP, that is “Liams Dilemma”

• Like 3

As we discovered under Lee Johnson, “Detailed work on the opposition” is always a nuanced thing. It can be great for bespoke plans to stop a top of the table side but strip you of identity and make you reactive when you do it each week, against everyone. And it gets a bit farcical when you’re so busy reacting to the tactical nuances of the bottom of the table side that you cannot beat them at home.

The actual dilemma for Liam and the club at the moment is why the plan is for James not to be renewed and whether it should be re-evaluated in light of his value to the team.

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, Cole Not Gas said:

I posted last week what an excellent pre-match interview Matty James gave. Yesterday showed he is right to praise Liam so highly for all the detailed work on the opposition; we did one over on Leicester. How many times in the last few seasons have we come away from AG and said the opposition had 'done a job on us' by working out our limited tactics? Plenty times. I reckon the coaching team did a great job in setting up to beat Leicester and Vardy's chances apart (he must be mates with Zak!) we were well worth the win. So many of us walked back to the Robins buzzing - what a great feeling

So the post asks a hyp0thetical question. If Liam has to choose between Matty or Williams to retain who would you choose? Assume fitness and wages are identical

Ha ha.. as if Liam, assuming that he’s still here, would even have a say in the decision…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

As we discovered under Lee Johnson, “Detailed work on the opposition” is always a nuanced thing. It can be great for bespoke plans to stop a top of the table side but strip you of identity and make you reactive when you do it each week, against everyone. And it gets a bit farcical when you’re so busy reacting to the tactical nuances of the bottom of the table side that you cannot beat them at home.

In a nutshell....................

14 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Ghostie. You know as well as I do that the OP is one of the bot army. Its a valid question as to James or Williams to which the answer is the former any day of the week but the caching of the question is tiresome.

And several ITK people have indicated James isn’t being renewed. Unless that is for personal reasons on his behalf, the broader question is why someone, who as proved yesterday is integral to our team, is being jettisoned. Because it is the literal definition of a no brainer to keep him on.

Does it matter how the question is asked? It’s just because you don’t like the manager. Just because someone has a different opinion than you doesn’t make them a “bot”. Come on now. 

Anyway, I completely agree with you, James should get a new contract for sure. I don’t know the circumstances though and if it’s a case of us not wanting him to stay or in fact we do, but the player himself wants to move further north as he’s indicated in the past.

Touch wood he will stay though, but there are so many factors involved. 

Edited by Tim Monaghan
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Harry said:

Must have been really great tactical planning for the opposition. 
They had an XG of 1.9. 
That’s higher than in 22 other games Leicester played this season. So we didn’t exactly ‘keep them quiet’ due to some tactical master plan. 
22 other teams have limited them to less chances. 
And you very easily gloss over the Vardy chances. 
We could easily have lost that 3-1 had he tucked away those. 

It was a good win. But let’s not get carried away. We got lucky. 

If we got the penalties we deserved we’d have had a huge xG. You can’t just look at one lot of ‘what ifs’ and ignore the other.  We didn’t get lucky. We were unlucky not to have had two penalties 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Tim Monaghan said:

Does it matter how the question is asked? It’s just because you don’t like the manager. Just because someone has a different opinion than you doesn’t make them a “bot”. Come on now. 

Anyway, I completely agree with you, James should get a new contract for sure. I don’t know the circumstances though and if it’s a case of us not wanting him to stay or in fact we do, but the player himself wants to move further north as he’s indicated in the past.

Touch wood he will stay though, but there are so many factors involved. 

It’s not about the question though it’s about a Bristol Sport employee coming on here gushing over manning 

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Actually, no it's not. OP was grammatically correct. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cole Not Gas said:

Give Jon a nudge & ask him why Matty James isn’t getting a new contract . Stop brown nosing it’s ******* 🤮🤮

• Like 5

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

If we got the penalties we deserved we’d have had a huge xG. You can’t just look at one lot of ‘what ifs’ and ignore the other.  We didn’t get lucky. We were unlucky not to have had two penalties 

And their high xG chances generally came from individual errors, rather than being tactically swept aside. I’m unimpressed overall by LM to date, but can see that he and the players got a lot right yesterday. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Give it time this sour taste you have will soon be gone, who knows it could be as early as Monday? 

• Facepalm 2

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

If anyone, including the staff, cannot see what difference James make to our side then I'm lost for words. All I can say is if he's being canned then Max Bird or whoever else we recruit had better be AT LEAST his equivalent. Some League 1 or 2 "Superstar" who has played 30,000 games but takes 9 months to learn at this level whilst we get overrun in midfield every week won't cut it for me.

Indeed. The cynic in me however cannot help but feel that the powers that be want every reminiscent of the Nige regime out the building as soon as physical possible irrespective of their ability.

We all know how integral James was to where Pearson wanted the club to go both on and off the pitch, let's hope that the politics and Tinnion and the rest of the hierarchies ego's don't get in the way of keeping a player who is absolutely crucial to us. It's an absolute no brainer for me to offer him at least another year..

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Well. He’s inconsistent, incoherent and wallows in the glory of mediocrity. If he’s not a BS employee, they should headhunt him immediately!

It's always the same accusation, have a different opinion to the sheep on here your a Bot Troll or anything else they can grab to dismiss the truth.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 3

3 hours ago, Tim Monaghan said:

Sure he set us up well.

Means nothing until we see some consistency. I'll praise him if we see similar performances against Plymouth and Sunderland.

This could very easily be Southampton all over again. A false dawn.

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Must have been really great tactical planning for the opposition. 
They had an XG of 1.9. 
That’s higher than in 22 other games Leicester played this season. So we didn’t exactly ‘keep them quiet’ due to some tactical master plan. 
22 other teams have limited them to less chances. 
And you very easily gloss over the Vardy chances. 
We could easily have lost that 3-1 had he tucked away those. 

It was a good win. But let’s not get carried away. We got lucky. 

I know what you mean Harry could also have won 5-3