IGNORED

Will we loan any young West Ham talent?

Trying to think of a benefit of having Manning as the gaffer, and an obvious one could be using his former Hammers connections to bring in some young ones for a season loan?

Maybe the next Declan Rice, or going back a decade or two - the next Joe Cole?  It would be a big boast for the squad for next season.  I'm still waiting for us to bring in our next Tammy and a West Ham player would go down a treat.

12 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Trying to think of a benefit of having Manning as the gaffer, and an obvious one could be using his former Hammers connections to bring in some young ones for a season loan?

Maybe the next Declan Rice, or going back a decade or two - the next Joe Cole?  It would be a big boast for the squad for next season.  I'm still waiting for us to bring in our next Tammy and a West Ham player would go down a treat.

My view is increasingly that loans aren't about a managers previous connections, but more about loan fees, wage contribution and then training facilities; medical facilities and style of play.

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

19 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

My view is increasingly that loans aren't about a managers previous connections, but more about loan fees, wage contribution and then training facilities; medical facilities and style of play.

There are plenty of examples of connections tbh.

Chelsea to Reading

(Dai Yongge-Kia Joorabchian-Marina Grankovskaia).

The above is a reason I don't feel that much for Reading fans. Their fans probably enjoyed loaning Rahman, Drinkwater, Sensi across 2 embargoed years. Such huge discounts if not gratis.

Wolves to Stoke.

Loan Manager at Wolves whose name escapes me used to have some ties to Stoke

Just two there. Connections and favours do score quite highly in football, however we never seem to get the benefit.

The Man City connection perhaps assisted with Doyle to Leicester on loan too.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

Preston are probably assisted by proximity to North West clubs. Liverpool played a friendly vs a German club at Deepdale on the opening weekend of the Football League. Anfield was unavailable, Preston were away.

Strongly suspect that relationship building m can help them with loans on decent terms. We are shit at cultivating ties it seems.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

There are plenty of examples of connections tbh.

Chelsea to Reading

(Dai Yongge-Kia Joorabchian-Marina Grankovskaia).

The above is a reason I don't feel that much for Reading fans. Their fans probably enjoyed loaning Rahman, Drinkwater, Sensi across 2 embargoed years. Such huge discounts if not gratis.

Wolves to Stoke.

Loan Manager at Wolves whose name escapes me used to have some ties to Stoke

Just two there. Connections and favours do score quite highly in football, however we never seem to get the benefit.

The Man City connection perhaps assisted with Doyle to Leicester on loan too.

The Wolves ‘super agent’ guy, whos names escapes me, that signed every other Portuguese player

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unan said:

The Wolves ‘super agent’ guy, whos names escapes me, that signed every other Portuguese player

Wasn't the Wolves manager, now at Forest one of the agent's clients too?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, reddogkev said:

It would be a big boast for the squad for next season.  I'm still waiting for us to bring in our next Tammy and a West Ham player would go down a treat.

What about playing our own young players? We’ve just signed three of them for next season!  

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Preston are probably assisted by proximity to North West clubs. Liverpool played a friendly vs a German club at Deepdale on the opening weekend of the Football League. Anfield was unavailable, Preston were away.

Strongly suspect that relationship building m can help them with loans on decent terms. We are shit at cultivating ties it seems.

This is likely because the 2 people in charge of recruitment are both introverts and very much not ‘people persons’

Its hard to create relationships and networks when you aren’t very confident or comfortable dealing with people. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Harry said:

This is likely because the 2 people in charge of recruitment are both introverts and very much not ‘people persons’

Its hard to create relationships and networks when you aren’t very confident or comfortable dealing with people. 

…or when your place of choice for informal ‘sell-in’ chats is Aqua Portishead 😄

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Thanks, also that makes sense.

Perhaps I'm being a bit unfair then although it is possibly an area irrespective of responsibility in which we have lagged at times.

3 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Kalvin Phillips knowing our luck

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Graham76 said:

What about playing our own young players? We’ve just signed three of them for next season!  

Yep, that also sounds good to me!  I like nothing better than seeing City youngsters breaking into the first team, but if we could spruce that up with some Premier League trained talent, I'm all for it!

Our current first team has been proven this season to be clearly better than their first team so why would we want their kids who are not deemed good enough for their first team? We are only joking about attempting to get to league 1 after all 👀