IGNORED

Sunderland away match thread

1 hour ago, The Original OTIB said:

I'm not blowing it out of proportion. It was a very poor performance. It was good to get a point. They were not overly affected by the conditions. They could have scored 6. What is out of proportion about that?

I'm talking about today, this game. 

It wasn't that bad given the conditions. Ground out a decent point on the road. 7 points in 3 games since the bed wetters called for mannings head-hope there's enough humble pie to go round!

Edited by Fontaineofallknowledge
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 10
11 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Why? He saved 36 pea rollers and made just the one decent save so I'm led to believe. The Sunderland Manager, the Bristol City Manager and the Sunderland fans who attended the game and commented on their forum were all lying through their teeth when they said he won us a point. Clearly trying to upset someone on here I reckon...................

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
36 minutes ago, RedJim said:

It's the total lack of attacking intent and quality on show. Are you enjoying this football under Manning? It's turgid.

Manning has done a good job at the back, we have the 4th best "goals conceded" in the League, he now needs the summer to sort out our attacking intent?   If he fails to address that massive issue, then i will be first in line to criticise him, but he inherited a weak forward line, and until the coming close season, he has had NO opportunity to resolve it?   At least give him the chance to recruit, before hanging him out to dry?   For me.........it is all about this Summer's buying and selling....,,,,,,,before he can be truly judged?

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1
1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Why? He saved 36 pea rollers and made just the one decent save so I'm led to believe. The Sunderland Manager, the Bristol City Manager and the Sunderland fans who attended the game and commented on their forum were all lying through their teeth when they said he won us a point. Clearly trying to upset someone on here I reckon...................

Obsessed.

I've said he made one exceptional save, clawed another off the line although Sykes also had it covered and was our best player today.

The majority of the shots he faced today were ones where questions would be asked had he let them in, and yet I've still called him our MOM but you still want to misrepresent what I've been saying for some pathetic wind up.

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Manning has done a good job at the back, we have the 4th best "goals conceded" in the League, he now needs the summer to sort out our attacking intent?   If he fails to address that massive issue, then i will be first in line to criticise him, but he inherited a weak forward line, and until the coming close season, he has had NO opportunity to resolve it?   At least give him the chance to recruit, before hanging him out to dry?   For me.........it is all about this Summer's buying and selling....,,,,,,,before he can be truly judged?

He inherited a good position at the  back and at best he has maintained it.

I fear the goals vs chances allowed ratio is running a bit negatively but we shall see.

Last 5 games, some good and some bad.

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, maxjak said:

We didn't have any problems defensively. He's had 6 months to sort out our goal scoring issues and has failed to do so.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 3
4 minutes ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

It wasn't that bad given the conditions. Ground out a decent point on the road. 7 points in 3 games since the bed wetters called for manning ahead-hope there's enough humble pie to go round!

You're going too early to be honest. If Manning brings his own players in and struggles to improve performances in the first third of next season his job will not be safe. Calling people bed-wetters and talking about others eating humble pie after a record of 33 points in 26 games and 19 points in the last 17  (mediocre but not humble pie levels in truth) would then look a bit daft, especially if he goes on another "run" of poor results. He's still got plenty of fans to win over whether you agree with it or not.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2
7 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

Obsessed.

I've said he made one exceptional save, clawed another off the line although Sykes also had it covered and was our best player today.

The majority of the shots he faced today were ones where questions would be asked had he let them in, and yet I've still called him our MOM but you still want to misrepresent what I've been saying for some pathetic wind up.

Approximately an equal level of obsession as your comments on this thread earlier............which is why they got noticed!!

54 minutes ago, Super said:

Standard meltdown on here. No idea why we should be winning these type of games on the road. Yes it wasn't the best but you make sure you get something out of the game which we did.

Is there a meltdown? Or are fans just expressing their concerns and frustrations about us looking poor against a team no higher than us in the table (again)?

49 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

"Performance is more important than the result"

Don't necessarily disagree, but let's see if that holds when we get the former but not the latter. Because it hasn't done previously on here.

That's true, but in fairness it depends where you are in the season.

Big difference between prioritising performances over results in the middle of the season, and prioritising performances at the end of the season with nothing to play for.

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Approximately an equal level of obsession as your comments on this thread earlier............which is why they got noticed!!

Course it was

And how many hours ago was that?

Rent free in your head because I don't over hype every single save made, but instead give credit to the actually good ones made.

52 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Take a look at Sunderland’s form and see why we should be winning these games.

I always thought today would be tricky. After a hammering, most teams put a shift in the following week (unless they're absolute dross at the bottom of the table).

19 minutes ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

It wasn't that bad given the conditions. Ground out a decent point on the road. 7 points in 3 games since the bed wetters called for mannings head-hope there's enough humble pie to go round!

“Given the conditions” - One team coped with the conditions pretty well, I’d say that you’re just making an excuse.

”Ground out” - our keeper saved us.

It wasn’t a typical gritty, put it on the line performance.  It was a weak performance.  Effort-wise, heart-wise, I don’t think I’ve seen much worse of late. I could just blame Manning because that would suit you, but I can’t, because that was mainly on the players (some of them) today, for whatever reason.  Although the shape early on was horrible 

i think I’d prefer to go hungry if that’s the taste of humble-pie you’ve got on offer.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1
22 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I agree with you that Manning's big challenge is to make us more effective in attack, and ultimately scoring goals. He'll be defined by that to an extent. It's a long time issue.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

“Given the conditions” - One team coped with the conditions pretty well, I’d say that you’re just making an excuse.

It wasn’t a typical gritty, put it on the line performance.  It was a weak performance.  Effort-wise, heart-wise, I don’t think I’ve seen much worse of late. I could just blame Manning because that would suit you, but I can’t, because that was mainly on the players (some of them) today, for whatever reason.  Although the shape early on was horrible 

i think I’d prefer to go hungry if that’s the taste of humble-pie you’ve got on offer.

So you'd still sack manning?

2 minutes ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

Today's performance was the opposite of the type needed to sway those who are 'Manning out'

I do think the change at half time was to try and bring some shape into the team because we were all over the place defensively in the first half, and the second half was an improvement over an extremely low bar.

But it was a poor performance today, even if the point itself is a positive outcome.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I dont know what any other manager would say differently, to be honest. They all put a positive spin on their own team’s performances. 

I cant think of any manager that would have said “we should have got done by 4 or 5 today”. 

The conditions were shit - no doubt about that - ive been to the SOL and its a bowl. The pitch is below land level and as a result its a wind trap. Its hardly surprising they are used to playing in windy conditions and us less so. A shit game all round.

Positives

Max O’Leary, as close to a 10 out of 10 performance as you can get

Keeping a third consecutive clean sheet

Picking up a point on the road

The traveling fans, who made a lot of noise

Negatives

Pretty much everything else, especially our consistent inability to look after the ball and our poor decision-making which loaded more and more pressure onto an already pressurized team.

• Like 1

Just checked.

We had the joint 4th best defence in the division when Manning appointed 

Leicester, Leeds, West Brom all better than us at that time ie had conceded less, Cardiff and Sunderland the same.

As of 5pm today we in the Manning era and the Manning era alone we have the 8th best defence in the division.

Leicester, Leeds, Southampton, West Brom, Norwich, Coventry, QPR all have conceded less than us in that given period.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 7
  • Flames 3

Only seen the highlights, some good saves by max.

Sliced open a few times at the back, guessing we missed Dickie loads? 

Another clean sheet and a point to the tally.

2 home games up next against teams fighting for points near the end of the season, interesting couple of games how we play

• Flames 1
10 minutes ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

It's not about whether anyone on here would sack him or not. That's not our decision and in reality we all know he isn't going anywhere whatever we might or might not do personally. The issue is that a number (and it's not a tiny number) still need to be persuaded to buy season tickets next season. I will get round to buying mine regardless right near the deadline for reasons I've already gone into but others need to see Liam produce something that they can get on board with. That's why performances in the next three games, two at home against the type of lower ranked teams we so often struggle against, before the deadline are crucial.

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, willem ii said:

Quite a large group from our Tilburg Tifosi were over for the Sunderland game. I heard they had (once again) a great time with the Bristol City supporters, especially with the guys from Section 82!

If there spending a night out up in Newcastle they might end up dropping Bristol city as there adopted 2nd team and getting friendly with the Geordies quality every time I have stayed in Newcastle and I have been there a fair few times 

7 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

It's not about whether anyone on here would sack him or not. That's not our decision and in reality we all know he isn't going anywhere whatever we might or might not do personally. The issue is that a number (and it's not a tiny number) still need to be persuaded to buy season tickets next season. I will get round to buying mine regardless right near the deadline for reasons I've already gone into but others need to see Liam produce something that they can get on board with. That's why performances in the next three games, two at home against the type of lower ranked teams we so often struggle against, before the deadline are crucial.

Not sure a couple of dead rubber games are going to have any bearing on that decision for me. 

im expecting a transformed style next season after Liam shapes his squad and has a pre season to implement his methods. This season largely irrelevant for me