IGNORED

Willem II (Tilburg) Link

7 minutes ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

Willem asked city to play a friendly as long ago as 2008, I’m surprised city have taken this long to get on board. 

I think they’ve got a lot of making up to do. This is a start…

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

• Admin
16 minutes ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

Let’s be honest you look a tad daft now saying it would never happen! 

I'm not sure if I said that but I will take your word for it

Certainly don't look daft considering how many years we rebuffed offers made by Willem to play us, it is interesting to know why after all the years of attempts to arrange this fixture they do it now?

It will be great to see all our friends from Tilburg over for the game

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

Certainly don't look daft considering how many years we rebuffed offers made by Willem to play us, it is interesting to know why after all the years of attempts to arrange this fixture they do it now?

Trying to get some goodwill back from the fanbase I'd guess.

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

I personally think it’s the board trying to whitewash any issues, now they can go 

“look at us guys, us on the board are lads just like you, proper fans” 

I really can’t see any other reason for it. 

2 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Probably be the best atmosphere of the season. I am looking forward to it. I Give the club some credit 

@phantom this is what I mean, club are already getting credit for it. Quite clever really to get fans onside. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

I personally think it’s the board trying to whitewash any issues, now they can go 

“look at us guys, us on the board are lads just like you, proper fans” 

I really can’t see any other reason for it. 

@phantom this is what I mean, club are already getting credit for it. Quite clever really to get fans onside. 

It’s only a start but a welcome one - got to give credit where it’s deserved. Don’t think there’s a need for cynicism on this one. Just a day to look forward to in the summer calendar.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, BUTOR said:

It’s only a start but a welcome one - got to give credit where it’s deserved. Don’t think there’s a need for cynicism on this one. Just a day to look forward to in the summer calendar.

It is a start, but as Phantom said why have they done it now?

As I said. Willem first asked for a friendly in 2008, 16 years ago.

The timing just seems a bit odd, what with everything that has gone on recently .

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I presume them getting promoted has meant it becming more attractive to the club in terms of actual preparation for the season.

Yeah I think that’s played a big part in this going ahead.

4 minutes ago, petehinton said:

If anyone can help/point us in the direction of where the bond between the two clubs came from, please DM me!

We’d love to record an osib episode dedicated to it. 

Right at the start of the thread, looks like @kelbcfc knows

• Like 1

Playing albeit the Dutch League isn't quite what it was, an Eredivisiei side to round off the Pre season seems a decent end to preparations- potentially decent opposition nut one we could have a crack at winning too? Plus the connection between some City fans and Willem fans.

Interesting that it should arise when there are doubts about the hierarchy but even that notwithstanding it feels a positive move.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Super said:

Season starting late? Means we'll be away first game.

Because of the Euros, yep.

As you say balloon fiesta so we will start away.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BUTOR said:

Completely agree.. The club does something that fans have wanted for a long time and rather than being happy with the announcement it's treated with suspicion. Just be happy it's now on!

• Like 3

Just now, RedRoss said:

Completely agree.. The club does something that fans have wanted for a long time and rather than being happy with the announcement it's treated with suspicion. Just be happy it's now on!

It's not suspicion, just putting two and two together. I don't have an issue with the club trying to get the fans back onside, at least it shows they recognise the current mood among many.

• Like 1