IGNORED

Dickie Rooks RIP

15 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

You went earlier than 1967 if you saw Big John play as he retired at end of season 1965/66.

Rooks arrived here in summer of 1969 and left at end of  71/72.

Oh well…..it was well over half a century ago. Memory isn’t as sharpe  as once was………….:(

34 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

You went earlier than 1967 if you saw Big John play as he retired at end of season 1965/66.

Rooks arrived here in summer of 1969 and left at end of  71/72.

No idea why an attention seeker gave a confused reaction

Matter of record isnt it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

Dickie Rooks was a good old-fashioned centre half, strong in the air and would clear it no-nonsense style. In this video against Charlton he scored a rare goal:

Thanks AF, really enjoyed watching that, Dickie Plumb 🤣🤣

The all red was my first ever City kit

• Thanks 1

Dickie came into the City side a few years after I started watching. He had a prodigious leap on him for his size and was a decent footballer unlike some of the 'Stopper' centre halves in those days.

Geoff Merrick came though in exactly the same playing style and could also jump a lot higher than his height suggested. 

The Collier/Merrick centre half pairing was the foundation of our promotion winning side along with big Dave Rodgers as a more than suitable replacement. 

RIP Dickie 🙏 

Edited by harvey54
  • Robin 1

7 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I remember Dickie Rooks but had to look him up on Wikki for the details. Alan Dicks signed him for £17k which was quite a lot of money for City in the 60s. Looking back AD made some shrewd signings during his time as manager 

The same summer (69) he signed Speedy Drysdale for £10k .

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 42nite said:

There was talk on here recently about who we'd have in the trenches alongside us.

Dickie Rooks would be on my list!

RIP mate.

My choice would have been Kylie Monogue........, but I should be so lucky, lucky, lucky lucky. 

Sorry guys :facepalm:.

RIP Dickie & best wishes to his family.

21 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

Will BTR return to pay his respects? Been away a while.

My first hero.

A Colossus in my eyes, evermore to remain as such.

Odd to now realise one I thought so mature was, at the time, a mere whippersnapper.

Rooks commitment and endeavour personified all there was to love about football. Football a sport, not business. A player who respected those who paid to watch him play and in doing so was respected in return. Not one player in the current squad fit to lace his boots, not they'd know how to with their featherweight slip-ons and scant, passing acquaintance with traits such as honesty and graft.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

Dickie was a good replacement for Jack Connor as, like Connor, he could man mark centre forwards out of the game. Despite a lack of height he had a predigious leap that saw him wins aerial battles he had no right to win, and was intelligent enough to know when not to compete but pick up the second ball. The only downside was that too many refs used to mark his card and give fouls against him when he moved forward for corners. A honest, hardworking and strong player who was rightly popular at the Gate. RIP Dickie and heartfelt condolences to family and friends. 

Edited by RoystonFoote'snephew
Text corrrection
  • Like 1

lovely man from the days when footballers needed another job before and after playing football. Dickie Rooks was a carpenter and made some great bits of furniture for me.