IGNORED

Dickie Rooks RIP

9 minutes ago, Dolman Original said:

One of my favourites back in the day. A so called hard man. RIP Dickie

No idea what type of player he was, but just a few pics I’ve seen look like he might’ve been.

RIP Dickie.

He followed Jack Connor in the side and was a big help to the AD Young Ones like Geoff Merrick.

Only here for three seasons but one of those who helped to turn us from a perpetual fighter against the drop and pushed us up the table for the 1976 promotion.

RIP Dickie and condolences to his family.

• Like 4

A hero of mine as a youngster as I played centre half.

He was built like a brick wossname but not as tall as most centre halves of his day.

His positioning was excellent though. I remember him marking Tony Hateley, a renowned target man and header of the ball. When a high ball was played up to Tony, Dickie would just take a step back and pick up the flick on. Hateley was baffled and rendered ineffective.

Thanks Dickie and may you rest in peace.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On my 8th birthday I watched my second City match v Carlisle. I had the all red City kit on that was my present. I had insisted on having a Number 5 put on the back as Dickie Rooks was my favourite player.

Fitting that in his position the season of his passing and a strong candidate for player of the season is another Dickie.

RIP

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, The Original OTIB said:

Sunderland boy, went the day we played them. RIP.

Yep, remember seeing him outside Roker Park before the game in the 75-76 promotion season.

As mentioned elsewhere, a real dependable presence at the back as we transitioned from relegation candidates to promotion contenders.

Edited by Final 3 Star
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TV Tom said:

One of my earliest memories of City players along with Gibbo, Galley, Ken Wimshurst and Gordon Parr 

Terry Bush, Bobby Kellard, Alan Skirton etc, great days at the footie indeed :city:

• Like 6

I remember Dickie Rooks but had to look him up on Wikki for the details. Alan Dicks signed him for £17k which was quite a lot of money for City in the 60s. Looking back AD made some shrewd signings during his time as manager 

• Robin 2

I don’t have much recollection of Dickie Rooks but he must have been playing when I first went to AG in 1967. John Atyeo was playing as well but aged only 12 it was a few decades before I discovered who City played that day.

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I don’t have much recollection of Dickie Rooks but he must have been playing when I first went to AG in 1967. John Atyeo was playing as well but aged only 12 it was a few decades before I discovered who City played that day.

Your memory must be playing tricks as Atyeo retired before 1967

My favourite memory; playing Cardiff Dickie was marking tall John Toshack. Going for a high ball, Dickie outjumped JT and won applause for that simple header from the AG faithful. I met him once in Boots at Broadmead. Although not a match day, he was wearing his City jacket. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You went earlier than 1967 if you saw Big John play as he retired at end of season 1965/66.

Rooks arrived here in summer of 1969 and left at end of  71/72.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Your memory must be playing tricks as Atyeo retired before 1967

You’re right Atyeo retired in 1966 - I wrongly assumed that he’d been playing in my first ever visit to AG. The reason I only have faint memories of that day is that it was a 0-0 draw against Oxford.

• Like 1