IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

1 minute ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Would have been a superb signing for Bristol, but it makes a lot of sense for Toulouse and Willis. They retain a top player who fits perfectly into their back row and he gets to continue playing for one of the best teams in Europe.

Although that's not good for his England career is it MR?

22 minutes ago, Super said:

Although that's not good for his England career is it MR?

It shouldn't be, but Borthwick has indicated that he'd like to be able to pick who he wants irrespective of where they play. The financial landscape has changed somewhat and of course there will be a few guys like Cowan-Dickie going abroad next season, so he may get his wish, at least in the short term. I can't see a situation where England go to the World Cup without Willis if he's fit.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

It shouldn't be, but Borthwick has indicated that he'd like to be able to pick who he wants irrespective of where they play. The financial landscape has changed somewhat and of course there will be a few guys like Cowan-Dickie going abroad next season, so he may get his wish, at least in the short term. I can't see a situation where England go to the World Cup without Willis if he's fit.

He's fine for the World Cup, the relaxation of the no foreign-based players rule is in place until then.

Do think they might have to look at it beyond that though. I didn't realise how many are going to France next year but there's quite a few current regulars - Cowan-Dickie, Ribbans, Nowell, Marchant, Simmonds.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

He's fine for the World Cup, the relaxation of the no foreign-based players rule is in place until then.

Do think they might have to look at it beyond that though. I didn't realise how many are going to France next year but there's quite a few current regulars - Cowan-Dickie, Ribbans, Nowell, Marchant, Simmonds.

I didn't know it was definitely in place until after the World Cup. Last I read was that they were considering it and that Borthwick was keen to select from outside England.

Would any of those bar Willis be in the post-World Cup frame? I think a lot will depend on what Borthwick wants and how big a rebuild he has in mind. He'll pretty much have a free hand. If the World Cup goes well, his decisions will be backed, and if it doesn't, it'll be a lot easier for him to justify ripping up the squad.

I doubt the RFU will want the exception to become the rule (and rightly so in my opinion), but I think there could be a bit more wiggle room for a few years until the situation in the Premiership is a bit more stable. Under the circumstances, I think it'd be hard on guys to leave them out because they couldn't get what they were worth in England. It's a dangerous game and a short career.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lordofthebling said:

Going finally down and out with a wimper tbh..

Genge lost his head, lucky boy, Macginty seems the only one who's given this a go.

Ref has been poor but Cor, the curry's are some unit.

MacGinty has trucked up some muck ball. Not where you want him at all. 

The Curry brothers are class. Get the feeling Bristol need to add a bit more to their pack, especially the back 5. No point having top backs when your pack gets beaten up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

MacGinty has trucked up some muck ball. Not where you want him at all. 

The Curry brothers are class. Get the feeling Bristol need to add a bit more to their pack, especially the back 5. No point having top backs when your pack gets beaten up.

Yep. It's especially evident against teams like Sale, we lose the physical battle every time.

4 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

They were really good a season or two ago .

What has happened this season for the down turn in form ?

Lost some good players and brought in some massively overrated / overpaid players. Kyle Sinckler has been a massive dissapointment for me.

Next season looks promising on paper. Malins coming back is huge. Need to do all we can to retain Thacker.

Edited by Pearsonistheman
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

They were really good a season or two ago .

What has happened this season for the down turn in form ?

Teams figured us out and understood that rush defense and hitting hard beats us every time 

3 minutes ago, Pearsonistheman said:

Lost some good players and brought in some massively overrated / overpaid players. Kyle Sinckler has been a massive dissapointment for me.

Next season looks promising on paper. Malins coming back is huge. Need to do all we can to retain Thacker.

Thacker has resigned 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Tell me again the games not doing it’s best to screw itself over 

Just seems like the law being upheld to the letter. A decision that flies in the face of common sense. 

But you see no different in the Premier League with VAR every week, particularly the ridiculous interpretations of handball. 

11 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Just seems like the law being upheld to the letter. A decision that flies in the face of common sense. 

But you see no different in the Premier League with VAR every week, particularly the ridiculous interpretations of handball. 

Don’t get me started on VAR, i won’t get to sleep tonight!!

How that can be a yellow card in a game of rugby is utterly astounding. 

I guess Dickson has come to that decision under law 13.4:

https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/law/13

Players on their feet and without the ball must not fall on or over players on the ground who have the ball or who are near it. Sanction: Penalty.

As you know, I don't agree that the law changes aren't necessary, but it's hard to have much sympathy for that decision. It's not high or dangerous and he's trying to prevent a try from being scored. For me, he's already on the floor before making contact with Ashton. It's not like he's dived on him recklessly.

The only thing I'd say is that it highlights the danger of getting silly yellows for deliberate knock ons when you know you have a guy like Karl Dickson in the middle. I don't think that incident has a lot to do with the laws.