IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

2023/24 Challenge Cup pool stage

Pool 1: Saracens, Union Bordeaux-Begles, Bulls, Bristol Bears, Connacht, Lyon

Pool 2: Toulouse, Cardiff, Bath, Racing 92, Harlequins, Ulster

Pool 3: Munster, Aviron Bayonnais, Glasgow Warriors, Exeter Chiefs, Toulon, Northampton Saints

Pool 4: La Rochelle, Leinster, Stade Francais, Leicester Tigers, Stormers, Sale Sharks

The Champions Cup has 24 teams split into four pools of six, with the 18-team Challenge Cup being divided into three pools of six. Each team plays four games in their pool, and will not face the team from their same nation or league who they have been drawn in a group with.

Edited by Super

5 hours ago, Super said:

2023/24 Challenge Cup pool stage

Pool 1: Saracens, Union Bordeaux-Begles, Bulls, Bristol Bears, Connacht, Lyon

Pool 2: Toulouse, Cardiff, Bath, Racing 92, Harlequins, Ulster

Pool 3: Munster, Aviron Bayonnais, Glasgow Warriors, Exeter Chiefs, Toulon, Northampton Saints

Pool 4: La Rochelle, Leinster, Stade Francais, Leicester Tigers, Stormers, Sale Sharks

The Champions Cup has 24 teams split into four pools of six, with the 18-team Challenge Cup being divided into three pools of six. Each team plays four games in their pool, and will not face the team from their same nation or league who they have been drawn in a group with.

Lost a lot of interest in rugby since Covid but what the hell is all that about 

what a way to ruin one of the best sporting competitions around 

• Like 2

"This ground-breaking fixture will be free to 2023/24 Season Ticket holders, seasonal box holders and seasonal Lansdown Suite hospitality holders as a replacement for the home fixture against London Irish, following their exit from the Gallagher Premiership."

Edited by Northern Red
  • Like 2

Surprised this hasn’t come up yet -

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-12304079/amp/Bristol-Bears-talks-Welsh-Rugby-Union-host-Gloucester-clash-Principality-Stadium.html

Seems a very odd move and one that surely won’t go down well with people with season tickets - even if you get the game included, you have to get to Cardiff rather than Ashton Gate.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, t_b said:

Surprised this hasn’t come up yet -

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-12304079/amp/Bristol-Bears-talks-Welsh-Rugby-Union-host-Gloucester-clash-Principality-Stadium.html

Seems a very odd move and one that surely won’t go down well with people with season tickets - even if you get the game included, you have to get to Cardiff rather than Ashton Gate.

It’s a sport that couldn’t give a monkeys about its fans lately, and Bears are as guilty of it as any.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

It’s a sport that couldn’t give a monkeys about its fans lately, and Bears are as guilty of it as any.  

That's a bit harsh.  Wait till next season's EFL TV deal kicks in.....

What I don't get about this is why is it our home game being moved?  Surely it would make sense for it to be Gloucester's home game.  Saracens move from a 10,000 crowd to 55,000 at Spurs which makes sense.  Few miles down the road.  If they get 40,000 in Cardiff rather than 22,000 in Bristol, what has been achieved?  Except for me starting drinking earlier in the day than I would if the game had been at Ashton Gate...

23 minutes ago, The Bard said:

That's a bit harsh.  Wait till next season's EFL TV deal kicks in.....

What I don't get about this is why is it our home game being moved?  Surely it would make sense for it to be Gloucester's home game.  Saracens move from a 10,000 crowd to 55,000 at Spurs which makes sense.  Few miles down the road.  If they get 40,000 in Cardiff rather than 22,000 in Bristol, what has been achieved?  Except for me starting drinking earlier in the day than I would if the game had been at Ashton Gate...

Bears are instigating it, aren't they? Presumably as the "home" team they will get a higher % of the revenue. 

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

Bears are instigating it, aren't they? Presumably as the "home" team they will get a higher % of the revenue. 

I guess so. The margin of profit seems like it might be slender though. Especially when you consider the revenue that the club won't get from having the game at home..

• Admin
14 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Other clubs have reported massive increase in money made at hosting these one off games at bigger venues

Explains why our game against Norwich was moved... they want as many to be available?

• Like 2

• Admin
2 hours ago, t_b said:

Well it’s also being broadcast live so that doesn’t help shift some on the fence fans.

Bears v Gloucester at 3:05 and then Cardiff v Scarlets at 6 in the Arms Park. 

That’s a lot of rugby back to back in Cardiff.

Have both been confirmed?

On 18/07/2023 at 10:56, phantom said:

Other clubs have reported massive increase in money made at hosting these one off games at bigger venues

Explains why our game against Norwich was moved... they want as many to be available?

I'm not really a huge Rugby fan. I follow the Bears results and that's it really. Used to go when they gave us free tickets. 

But I would absolutely 100% go to watch the Bears play at the Mill Stad. I loved the games that we played there. It's a shame it doesn't get used for football still in some capacity as it was a great experience. 

For a one off game I don't buy the argument about season ticket holders having to travel. At times it can probably take longer to travel from the Memorial Ground to Ashton Gate than it would Bristol to Cardiff. It would be nice if the club did offer something like subsidised coach travel though.