IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

Given our dear leaders apparent inability to tolerate failure, i wonder if SL will be axing Pat Lam anytime soon?

another loss ( 5 on the bounce now )

The wheels are coming off at the egg chasers.

I know the Boy Blunder isn't part of the rugby set up, so be interesting to see what happens.

• Robin 2

Something needs to happen. I feel like his time is done. Him nor the club has properly got over that semi final defeat against quins. And been downhill ever since.

However the problem is someone gave him a new contract on 750K a year until 2028.

That new contract started this summer.

Would love to see dave rennie come in and take the club to the next level

9 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

It’s an odd one. SL said he stuck with Robinson (Lams predecessor) for too long, yet has seemingly persisted with Lam a year more than he deserves. 

Stupidly Bears gave Lam a lengthy contract, which I suspect would be expensive to pay off.  

With no relegation,maybe just content treading water until the reforms come in... 

• Like 2

In addition to all of the reasons mentioned above, I get the impression that SL is maybe more willing to acknowledge others' expertise and knowledge where rugby is concerned than he is with football. The rugby chairman is Chris Booy who's been there long before Steve got involved, indeed it was him who approached Steve to see if he woud be interested in investing when the club was facing finanical ruin, and I think he's largely allowed to get on with it and have his views trusted in a way that somebody in an equivalent role at the football club might not be.

Rugby doesn't have the same sacking culture, but the roles are slightly different. Lam's position is more akin to a football manager of years past where they would be the most powerful sporting figure at the club and responsible for setting the culture etc, and would carry as much influence as a modern DoF/Techinical/Sporting Director and Manager/Head Coach combined.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

In addition to all of the reasons mentioned above, I get the impression that SL is maybe more willing to acknowledge others' expertise and knowledge where rugby is concerned than he is with football. The rugby chairman is Chris Booy who's been there long before Steve got involved, indeed it was him who approached Steve to see if he woud be interested in investing when the club was facing finanical ruin, and I think he's largely allowed to get on with it and have his views trusted in a way that somebody in an equivalent role at the football club might not be.

Rugby doesn't have the same sacking culture, but the roles are slightly different. Lam's position is more akin to a football manager of years past where they would be the most powerful sporting figure at the club and responsible for setting the culture etc, and would carry as much influence as a modern DoF/Techinical/Sporting Director and Manager/Head Coach combined.

Pearson's job was 'Manager' but his role was more akin to Lam's role as a Director of rugby. 

On 26/11/2023 at 23:21, Barrs Court Red said:

It’s an odd one. SL said he stuck with Robinson (Lams predecessor) for too long, yet has seemingly persisted with Lam a year more than he deserves. 

Stupidly Bears gave Lam a lengthy contract, which I suspect would be expensive to pay off.  

Since when has Lansdown learned from past experience! See BCFC

• Like 1

On 27/11/2023 at 12:44, The Bard said:

We have coughed up 7 points so far due to kicking. Should've beaten both Bath and Quins and got a point at Exeter. We're losing the small margins..

I don't think we "should've" beaten Bath. They were two tricky kicks for Sheedy and Finn Russell missed a gimme down the other end. 

5 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I don't think we "should've" beaten Bath. They were two tricky kicks for Sheedy and Finn Russell missed a gimme down the other end. 

Disagree. We botched it. Should've kicked to the corner  (especially 2nd one). Saracens, Sale , Leicester with the same set of circumstances win that game. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Full nelson said:

What was the attendance? 

About 17k i think they said. 

And yes @Northern Red Luatua makes a huge difference. It’s obviously not a one man team but when he’s playing it just seems that everyone is better because he is such a leader. 

He really is an absolute bloody legend🐻

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Two teams in crap form. But also £45-70 a ticket is unlikely to bring in the casuals. 

That said, I went with a load of old mates today. Original plan was Bath v Exeter but it was £72 a ticket 

Wow! That seems an excessively high price - what’s the going rate for a PotD ticket for a City match?

8 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Two teams in crap form. But also £45-70 a ticket is unlikely to bring in the casuals. 

That said, I went with a load of old mates today. Original plan was Bath v Exeter but it was £72 a ticket 

Baths Potd prices are disgraceful, mind you the prices at Ashton gate aren't friendly either although much better facilities then the rec 

• Like 1