IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

Just now, Club and Country said:

I would guess also one of the only prem clubs that's got a  relatively wealthy backing already 

True. Lansdown is or has been looking for investment though and a combination of the infrastructure, the multi-sports model..perhaps the others would represent better value however.

There is a Salary Cap in rugby too as in a hard not soft one, absolute not %...wonder how this will align.

• Admin
12 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wondering why Bristol given the excellent infrastructure wouldn't be a candidate here. I guess there are 4 of the big hitters?

Two words "Bristol Sport"

The rugby club, like the football club is so entwined with other companies it is a minefield just to purchase one of the clubs

• Like 4

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Believe me after meeting with Bristol City recently to discuss these sort of things it is a long way from being easy

You were discussing the potential sale of Bears or City?

The structure is nothing spectacularly complex that some good lawyers couldn't sort out as mentioned by @ExiledAjax many times.

Fact of the matter is Steve wants too much money. Nothing to do with structure.

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

You were discussing the potential sale of Bears or City?

The structure is nothing spectacularly complex that some good lawyers couldn't sort out as mentioned by @ExiledAjax many times.

Fact of the matter is Steve wants too much money. Nothing to do with structure.

To be fair to @phantom I think that both things can be true.

The structure is basically as complicated as you want to say it is, and varies by experience. Compared to the corporate structure of a private equity or pension fund, it's simple. As simple as a skateboard is if compared to a jet fighter.

But from a lay person's point of view it is more complicated than it needs to be and is daunting.

There's also two structures really. There's the corporate ownership structure - the skeleton maybe. Then there's the commercial and contractual relationships between those companies - call that the muscles on top of those bones.

Is it beyond the wit of £800 p/h lawyers and accountants? Absolutely not. Is it "simple"? No not really.

In terms of it impacting a prospective investors decision it will probably put some off. Not because of the inherent complexity, but simply because unravelling or adapting it is more work than they can be bothered to do.

But not all will be put off.

Edited by ExiledAjax

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

To be fair to @phantom I think that both things can be true.

The structure is basically as complicated as you want to say it is, and varies by experience. Compared to the corporate structure of a private equity or pension fund, it's simple. As simple as a skateboard is if compared to a jet fighter.

But from a lay person's point of view it is more complicated than it needs to be and is daunting.

There's also two structures really. There's the corporate ownership structure - the skeleton maybe. Then there's the commercial and contractual relationships between those companies - call that the muscles on top of those bones.

Is it beyond the wit of £800 p/h lawyers and accountants? Absolutely not. Is it "simple"? No not really.

In terms of it impacting a prospective investors decision it will probably put some off. Not because of the inherent complexity, but simply because unravelling or adapting it is more work than they can be bothered to do.

But not all will be put off.

I can't believe it would put off a serious investor willing to part with tens of millions. Maybe the odd time-waster...

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I can't believe it would put off a serious investor willing to part with tens of millions. Maybe the odd time-waster...

I don't think it will put off someone who actually gets started on some due diligence and has the cash. I agree with that.

But there will be some who just want a football club and can't be arsed with the BS baggage. But they likely won't even pick up the phone.

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Depends though. I assume if you’re buying Bears, you’re getting the brand, playing and coaching staff, existing liabilities and…well aren’t all enabling services provided by Bristol Sport? That’s a pretty hefty outlay without the benefit of experience with the brand to start with. 

1 hour ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Depends though. I assume if you’re buying Bears, you’re getting the brand, playing and coaching staff, existing liabilities and…well aren’t all enabling services provided by Bristol Sport? That’s a pretty hefty outlay without the benefit of experience with the brand to start with. 

Couple of options spring to mind...

One is maybe a potential buyer wouldn't want the "brand experience" that Bristol Sport offers!!

Second, the buyer demands those within BS with the Bears brand experience/knowledge are removed from BS and come under Bears umbrella. 

There's nothing that's insurmountable. Within reason it can be divvied up a multiple of ways, as long as buyer and seller are happy with the £££.

• Like 2

On 01/02/2024 at 21:13, Barrs Court Red said:

Some of the 'costs' in both Bears and City's accounts are exceptionally high. Given everything is owned via Pula which is the off shore company in the group, it's pretty obvious what is happening. 

The whole thing will have to be reformed if they are to sell any of it. It's structure is primarily about drawing profits in Guernsey. 

• Flames 1

• Admin

Hooker Will Capon, prop George Kloska, centre James Williams and full-back Noah Heward are among nine Bristol players to sign new contracts.

Lock Josh Caulfield, prop Sam Grahamslaw, lock Joe Owen and academy duo George Taylor and Harry Rowson have also agreed new deals.

Capon, 24, is one of five Bristol-born players on the list and has amassed 84 appearances for the Bears.

Kloska similarly came through the Bears academy and has played 44 games.

"We're pleased to secure the futures of these nine players as we build our squad for the future," director of rugby Pat Lam said.

"George Kloska and Will Capon are two Bristolian front row forwards who have already amassed 128 Premiership and European caps.

"While both are very young in front row terms they continue to improve year on year and we're excited to see what they can both achieve."

Versatile Heward, who can also play on the wing, and Williams signed in 2022.

Caulfield and Grahamslaw joined the Bears in 2023 from London Irish and Championship side Jersey Reds respectively and have collectively made 30 appearances since.

Owen, 22, originally signed on an academy contract and made his Premiership debut this season while lock Taylor and centre Rowson have featured in the Premiership Rugby Cup side.

TAKEN FROM:  Bristol Bears contracts: Will Capon and George Kloska among nine to sign new deals - BBC Sport

A great game and atmosphere yesterday. Thoroughly enjoyable evenings entertainment.

The Bristol Boys looked well up for it, everyone played superbly well.

One suggestion though.....Why play The Wurzels 'Drink up thee Cider' at the end of the game, that's City's, should play 'Blackbird' as that's what the players sing, it is much more appropriate imo.

• Like 1