IGNORED

Liam Manning - pre-match Blackburn

2 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

There are so many on here who are still so in love and obsessed with Pearson that they will never accept any other manager, and they will search to find any reason to criticise that new manager rather than give him a chance. Pathetic really.

Who’s mentioned Pearson? Or are you just making it up?

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Top Robin said:

There are so many on here who are still so in love and obsessed with Pearson that they will never accept any other manager, and they will search to find any reason to criticise that new manager rather than give him a chance. Pathetic really.

I too find the Pearson obsession quite weird but perhaps not in the way you do.

Pearson has not been mentioned on this thread once and the vast majority of posters who've expressed doubts about Manning have done so based on things like results, performances, lack of full benches, whether we're giving opportunities to young players and admittedly also his dour presentation style. There have been criticisms of the board and Technical Director around communication of the new manager but the vast, vast, vast majority of posters have given Manning a fair chance and judged on what they have seen. With only one or two people significantly harking back to Pearson.

So my question is why you in this case - and other posters in others - suddenly bring up Pearson as though that is the reason for people's criticism of Manning even when nobody has mentioned Pearson at all? It feels frankly disingenuous to refuse to engage with people's points and proscribe a motive for those points that is very clearly not there. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 2

8 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

The irony / hypocrisy!

+++++

FWIW, I thought this was a fairly amicable discussion, not too far in either direction, posters putting their side across without the need to slag off the person their responding to.

And then your post!

🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 11
  • Flames 5
  • Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, pillred said:

Do you give him any credit for some of the more decent performances though? as you appear to be a bit one-sided.

Well actually I thought the 4-1 win away to Watford last year was brilliant, outstanding really. I honestly thought we would then kick on and challenge strongly for the rest of the season. We obviously didn’t. Before that Watford away game and since then, apart from Southampton and perhaps Ipswich away it’s been pretty ordinary at best, surely you’d agree? Also felt that both the Southampton and Ipswich games were an abandonment of Manningball. Remember our Manningball game at home to Leeds? He should have gone there and then really. 

• Flames 1

2 minutes ago, FNQ said:

Well actually I thought the 4-1 win away to Watford last year was brilliant, outstanding really. I honestly thought we would then kick on and challenge strongly for the rest of the season. We obviously didn’t. Before that Watford away game and since then, apart from Southampton and perhaps Ipswich away it’s been pretty ordinary at best, surely you’d agree? Also felt that both the Southampton and Ipswich games were an abandonment of Manningball. Remember our Manningball game at home to Leeds? He should have gone there and then really. 

My view on this...

Pretty ordinary is what I expect, so expectations have been met. They were exceeded in some games and underwhelmed in others. 

That was the experience last season too and kind of inevitable in my honest opinion. We've been inconsistent for years, but if we keep making marginal league position improvements year on year, I guess we're heading in the right direction. 

That what I expect from Manning next season; league position improvement. One way or another he's managed to finish the job this year, and next year he needs to make enough tweaks to continue that arc.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mozo said:

That what I expect from Manning next season; league position improvement. One way or another he's managed to finish the job this year, and next year he needs to make enough tweaks to continue that arc.

I’m waiting to see what Tinnion / Recruitment deliver first (and of course who leaves).

We should expect progress, as you say, if he gets the 9 and 10 that are the big gaps according to LM and BT.

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The irony / hypocrisy!

+++++

FWIW, I thought this was a fairly amicable discussion, not too far in either direction, posters putting their side across without the need to slag off the person their responding to.

And then your post!

🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

T'was ever thus...

Some come on this forum simply as wind up merchants.

As for what constitutes success.  For some, many perhaps, it will be an improvement in league position.  That obviously comes with an improvement in results.  For me though, it has to be aligned with the spectacle on show as well.  If we get a season of boring scraped victories resulting in us finishing a couple of places higher then it will be a hollow improvement emotionally.  Many of the matches I've seen us win under Manning I've not enjoyed.  Pleased with the result of course, but I can't say I've enjoyed/been entertained by the 90 minutes that led us there.  Being the most bored I've ever been in 40+ years of watching us, I've felt a massive disconnect with the experience of supporting us this season.  That saddens me, and unfortunately I have no faith in the person charged with taking us forward to change that.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m waiting to see what Tinnion / Recruitment deliver first (and of course who leaves).

We should expect progress, as you say, if he gets the 9 and 10 that are the big gaps according to LM and BT.

Yeah if Nige had been given a forward and a creative midfielder, I'd have upped my expectations for this season to be pushing for playoffs. 

Next season the squad could be stronger or weaker depending on retention and recruitment. Ultimately, BT and LM have to take responsibility for that. If they bin off Williams and James, then Bird, Knight, Stokes and TGH struggle, that's poor management. Likewise, if they take that step and it pays off, then it's good succession planning and they deserve credit for it.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

16 minutes ago, FNQ said:

I have been a bit underwhelmed, but there has been a long history in football of managers being criticised by fans, then said fans had to eat humble pie as things came good, most posters were saying if only Pearson had been given a little more time things would have turned around, yet here you and a lot of other posters are having a go at a manager who has been here a lot less time, let's be patient and if things have not improved after say another half a season then have a go at him, by the way exactly what did you expect from him in such a short space of time? the personnel is not that different from when NP was here and we weren't exactly getting results then were we?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pillred said:

I have been a bit underwhelmed, but there has been a long history in football of managers being criticised by fans, then said fans had to eat humble pie as things came good, most posters were saying if only Pearson had been given a little more time things would have turned around, yet here you and a lot of other posters are having a go at a manager who has been here a lot less time, let's be patient and if things have not improved after say another half a season then have a go at him, by the way exactly what did you expect from him in such a short space of time? the personnel is not that different from when NP was here and we weren't exactly getting results then were we?

We’ll just be going over old ground if you get me started.. so why don't you tell me why you’ve been a bit underwhelmed?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, FNQ said:

We’ll just be going over old ground if you get me started.. so why don't you tell me why you’ve been a bit underwhelmed?

Inconsistency has been the main thing, I feel under both Pearson and Manning we have lacked it and so results have not been as I and I'm sure you would have liked but I refuse to get aboard the Manning out bus just yet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Top Robin said:

Well, Liam will certainly get his chance- he has the summer to hone the squad & the method.

If he gets the boot before next season is done it'll be for very good reason, as Lansdown certainly doesn't like a light trigger.

We'll see how 'sensible you are if he gets the chop. 😉

15 hours ago, Harry said:

Since when has “on the grass” come into the game? They all bloody say it nowadays. It’s probably only been the last 2-3 years I’ve heard it and now everyone says it! 

They used to say “on the training pitch”. And in those days, the training pitch was actually made of grass. 

Now they say “on the grass” when in fact the training pitch is now made of artificial fibres!! 

How stupid. Surely they should either say “on the training pitch” or “on the desso”, because saying “grass” is not strictly true! 

wrong typ of grass they are on 

3 hours ago, Northern Red said:

I'm not sure we've ever had a manager who was so widely considered to be dull and robotic and yet had his every word analysed to death as much.

I can't listen to it,, can't bear it-

I just read you lot dripping about it 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

manning can still deliver this season. when he took over,we were projected to finish on 64 pts. if he could get that then id say results wise,hes done well.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

manning can still deliver this season. when he took over,we were projected to finish on 64 pts. if he could get that then id say results wise,hes done well.

If we clock up another 10 points in the final 5 games, we'd be looking at a helluva 10 match haul! 

I would be very surprised. I could see us reaching 60 points though.

• Like 2