IGNORED

Casual racism backfire...

spudski

1 hour ago, sglosbcfc said:

I know Muslim supporters who watch City. They have not experienced any problems at all. Real progress has been made, as sadly I doubt that would have been the case in the 1980s or 90s.

I'm a son of muslim - started going in the 90's and had very few problems. Had more racism away from football.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Robin 4

Bit confused by the original post. My understanding was Muslims were unable to eat pork for religious reasons and not unable to look at photographs of pork for religious reasons so it is rather confusing what point, if any is being made.

What entertained me though was the person who replied complaining that the club hadn't put up a "Happy Easter" post, only for several people to reply linking to the "Happy Easter" post that the club had very clearly done. It goes to show the people who feign outrage about these things tend not to link their grumbles to objective reality. It's a bit like the people who complain about a lack of an International Men's Day in March but ignore International Men's Day in November...

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Bit confused by the original post. My understanding was Muslims were unable to eat pork for religious reasons and not unable to look at photographs of pork for religious reasons so it is rather confusing what point, if any is being made.

What entertained me though was the person who replied complaining that the club hadn't put up a "Happy Easter" post, only for several people to reply linking to the "Happy Easter" post that the club had very clearly done. It goes to show the people who feign outrage about these things tend not to link their grumbles to objective reality. It's a bit like the people who complain about a lack of an International Men's Day in March but ignore International Men's Day in November...

Performative outrage I believe it’s called. Like Lee Anderson getting in a strop over Oxford Street having lights for Ramadan and stating β€œI want my country back” because Easter lights (which never get put up) hadn’t been put up.Β 

• Like 6
  • Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Performative outrage I believe it’s called. Like Lee Anderson getting in a strop over Oxford Street having lights for Ramadan and stating β€œI want my country back” because Easter lights (which never get put up) hadn’t been put up.Β 

"Easter Lights" aren't even a thing. One gets the impression Lee Anderson is utterly ignorant of British traditions.

5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

"Easter Lights" aren't even a thing. One gets the impression Lee Anderson is utterly ignorant of British traditions.

Of course they are a thing!Β  They represent the stars that were shining when Jesus rehatched from a chocolate egg that had been laid by a big bunny...

• Haha 9

6 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

That sentence didn’t need β€œof British traditions”.Β 
It could have ended there.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Obviously went woosh to many.

City put up a post celebrating Eid. Then a supporter put up a post showing a 'Gammon' (pork) term used about white men who are enraged as their skin goes the colour of gammon.Β 

Jokingly pointing out the ridiculousness of the tweet...using pork.Β 

Obviously wooshed a few. Others seemingly not fussed which is fine.Β 

Said tongue in cheek with no mutants involved...so I guess that makes it ok πŸ€ͺπŸ˜πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘πŸ˜‚

Been watching city home and away for 45-50 years and in all that time have only ever heard one racial comment by a city fan and it was a one off comment away at Crystal Palace about 20 years ago ,Β 

im not saying it doesn’t or didn’t happen but in my experience have not witnessed anything apart from the one time aboveΒ 

• Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, redkev said:

Been watching city home and away for 45-50 years and in all that time have only ever heard one racial comment by a city fan and it was a one off comment away at Crystal Palace about 20 years ago ,Β 

im not saying it doesn’t or didn’t happen but in my experience have not witnessed anything apart from the one time aboveΒ 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-65651475

Β 

1 minute ago, redkev said:

Wish I could say that was the case.

Remember Junior Bent getting racially abused on his debut for us in 1990 at Preston from so called City fans.

Absolutely not an isolated incident, comments about West Brom being β€œthe pride of Pakistan” a recent example.

Cue someone saying β€œthat’s not racist, it’s banter”..

4 minutes ago, redkev said:

I think you may be wrong there. I certainly remember in the 80s City being as bad as anyone for the β€œYou Black *******” chants. Thankfully long since gone but when I started going it was definitely there.

• Like 1

Not worth getting worked up over either way. It's performative PR. The clubs social media admin has not come to the considered position that there are many paths up the mountain, nor are they making any radical political statement, nor does it have anything to do with the demographics of our fan base. It's just performative PR.

Β 

Having said that - I can't imagine it's persuading many to renew their season tickets though. Dont imagine many are thinking 'well I'm fed up of Lansdown, Tinnion and Manning, but they wished me happy Eid. So take my money!'

Took a break from social media a few weeks ago (does otib count?!) - feel much better in all sorts of ways! Heartily recommend.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, !james said:

I did say from my experience, I did say that doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen ,Β 

I will slightly back track though I do agree there was racial chanting back in the 80s but that was more group / mob mentality ( doesn’t make it right by any means ) I find it more disturbing when lone individuals or a few individuals collectively are responsible like it would possibly nowadays don’t think you would ever get the mob / group chants like back in the 80s , unless your supporting an Eastern European side / or recently possibly SpanishΒ 

With respect to people about racism. What has that got to do with Eid?

Eid is a Muslim celebration. Any race can have the religious faith of Islam.

It's very apparent in recent years that the religious faith of Islam and anything racist has been clouded and blurred.Β 

This has nothing to do with race or the colour of a person's skin.Β 

It's purely a religious celebration carried out by the faith of Islam.Β 

It's religion not race.Β 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

You were the person who started and named the thread 🀣

Yes...pointing out the ******** who called it racism. Quoting him in the thread title. πŸ™ˆπŸ€·

Another woosh...jokes on you it seems. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

35 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think you may be wrong there. I certainly remember in the 80s City being as bad as anyone for the β€œYou Black *******” chants. Thankfully long since gone but when I started going it was definitely there.

Definitely used to hear the one about wanting to be something rather than a β€œtaff” too.

It was quite bad that Bradford 6-0 away night too (only time I’ve been to Bradford away) but also saw a couple of locals dishing it out too, away from the football.Β 

31 minutes ago, spudski said:

Yes...pointing out the ******** who called it racism. Quoting him in the thread title. πŸ™ˆπŸ€·

Another woosh...jokes on you it seems. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Yeah sorry. Tbh im conditioned that your posts are mostly waffle. My bad on this occasionΒ 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

"Leicester is a shithole it smells of curry" was in 2010 and let's face it the entire stand wouldn't sing that today.

2 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Yeah sorry. Tbh im conditioned that your posts are mostly waffle. My bad on this occasionΒ 

You know fair well that my posts aren't mostly waffle.

Just be honest...we just disagree a lot on many political and social issues. And have locked horns over it.Β 

I'm happy to agree to disagree and put a line under it.Β 

Respect and thank you for the apology, many wouldn't. So appreciated fellow red πŸ‘πŸ˜Ž

• Haha 1