IGNORED

Top five players of the season

41 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

You need 5?

From the minute the owner decided not to re-invest the Scott money - a decision no doubt taken well before he was actually sold - and from the minute the owner decided to not renew Nigel Pearson's contract - a decision no doubt taken long, long before he was actually sacked - this season has been a waste.

A waste of everyone's time, money and emotional energy.

A waste of the aforementioned that a lot of us, including the pensioner owner, can ill afford.

So can we just get on with it please.

Get on with not wasting everyone's time, money, energy.

Get on with having a season where it isn't just one player - Rob Dickie - deservedly hoovering up every single award going.

What a joke end of season awards are when all you've done is spend 9 months pissing players and fans off.

Just a bit of fun mate 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

You need 5?

From the minute the owner decided not to re-invest the Scott money - a decision no doubt taken well before he was actually sold - and from the minute the owner decided to not renew Nigel Pearson's contract - a decision no doubt taken long, long before he was actually sacked - this season has been a waste.

A waste of everyone's time, money and emotional energy.

A waste of the aforementioned that a lot of us, including the pensioner owner, can ill afford.

So can we just get on with it please.

Get on with not wasting everyone's time, money, energy.

Get on with having a season where it isn't just one player - Rob Dickie - deservedly hoovering up every single award going.

What a joke end of season awards are when all you've done is spend 9 months pissing players and fans off.

What a strange rant. It's just abit of fun to see everyone's opinion.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

What a strange rant. It's just abit of fun to see everyone's opinion.

Fair enough fella.

But in a season when everyone - everyone - at City hasn't been good enough, bar Dickie, the idea of "awards" is a bit of joke, quite frankly.

I can only assume you're about 12 or alternatively happy to accept utter mediocrity ad infinitum.

Some of us aren't. That is, about 12 or happy to accept utter mediocrity.

But no worries, knock yourself out.

But as far as I'm concerned the last 9 months might as well not have occurred.

If you think we've made a step forward from where we were 12 months ago, fair enough. If you think this warrants awards and celebration, fair enough.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 4

1). Rob Dickie

2). Dick Robbie

3). Bob Dickie

4). Richard Robbie

5). The centre half we signed from QPR.

Can't see past the big man. However, I wonder if this time next year my top 2 will be Hayden Roberts & Robert Haydon's - think he's really going to shine in 24/25.

7 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Fair enough fella.

But in a season when everyone - everyone - at City hasn't been good enough, bar Dickie, the idea of "awards" is a bit of joke, quite frankly.

I can only assume you're about 12 or alternatively happy to accept utter mediocrity ad infinitum.

If you think we've made a step forward from where we were 12 months ago, fair enough. If you think this warrants awards and celebration, fair enough.

whilst i fully appreciate your reasoning  and agree with all of this, we still have players that have tried to keep us moving even with the last however longs ethos being thrown out the window. cant have been easy trying to play when you already know what they are telling you to do wont work.

time to shine now as the penny has finally dropped and they are reverting back to how they were set up when results did go our way more often with a bit more spice in the action, something we havent seen much of for a few months

im quite enjoying seeing who people have selected as their stand outs, and one player romping the assessment. 

7 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Fair enough fella.

Why are you talking about 'awards'? We're merely stating who our top 5 best performers have been. Nothing to do with their accomplishments as a team. 

Hardly handing them a Ballon d'Or. 

You've decided to get angry and ranted about a completely different point from what this topic is about and I'm the apparent child. 

10 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Surprised so many are putting Vyner in their top 5 - he is making so many mistakes especially recently, giving the ball away in our area (think Vardy and the Blackburn miss last night).

He certainly has good moments ie the goal saving tackle but he also makes a risky - uncontrolled - pass most games!

Agreed. That’s why he wasn’t in my top 5. Has still been a big part of what our defence has achieved this season . Cut out the (at least 1 per game) misplaced Hollywood hospital passes and he makes my top 5.

8 hours ago, TDarwall said:

1). Rob Dickie

2). Dick Robbie

3). Bob Dickie

4). Richard Robbie

5). The centre half we signed from QPR.

Can't see past the big man. However, I wonder if this time next year my top 2 will be Hayden Roberts & Robert Haydon's - think he's really going to shine in 24/25.

Certainly been impressive in the last few games & I keep forgetting that he’s still only 21, so as you say he’s certainly got a bright future.

Beyond Dickie it is actually harder to pick 5 than it should be.

Max’s form & his 100% availability (at a time when we have no senior cover) puts him in it, Knight has also played in every game & has Weimann like fitness levels, Tanner, Vyner, Pring & James all have made decent contributions & Sykes too has done ok (though arguably not quite as well as his first season), Williams has greatly improved his availability & had decent spells.

It is striking how bar Sykes all of these players are either defenders or more defensively minded midfielders & clearly shows where we all know we’re badly lacking as a squad.

Edited by GrahamC

32 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Agreed. That’s why he wasn’t in my top 5. Has still been a big part of what our defence has achieved this season . Cut out the (at least 1 per game) misplaced Hollywood hospital passes and he makes my top 5.

Vyner and Dickie have become a very decent CB combination, the best pairing at City for several seasons. Based on that it’s no surprise that Vyner gets into many posters top 5.

18 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

1. Dickie

2. James

3. Vyner

4. Tanner

5. Knight

Basically the defensive unit plus the screen in front of it.

O'Leary will be my notable exception for many. In my opinion he's done his job, which has been made easier by the unit in front of him. Those outfield players therefore get the credit. I'd have him 6th or 7th probably.

Making saves is all about him, as he's made many, making less saves is all about the people in front of him. He's had a great season. 

16 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Vyner and Dickie have become a very decent CB combination, the best pairing at City for several seasons. Based on that it’s no surprise that Vyner gets into many posters top 5.

Yep and I understand why he would do, just not for me based on the reasons above. I also think Tanner is a better defender.

1. Dickie - like a cross between the best parts of Webster and Flint.

2. O’Leary - a large reason why our goals conceded is the lowest it’s been for many seasons.

3. Knight - finally a goal-scoring midfielder, who can leap like a salmon; far better when he plays in midfield than up front.

4. James - you only realise what he must be doing when he isn’t playing.

5. Pring - not quite at last season’s stellar level but still one of the best left backs in the division.

Honourable mentions:

Roberts - play like he has the last few games and he is a shoo-in for top 5 players next season.

Williams - finally looks like the player we thought we were getting years ago.

Tanner - definitely improved defensively, but still fears getting a nosebleed every time he crosses the halfway line!

Vyner - great defensively and quick, but a liability playing out from the back. Plays at least one telegraphed or badly misplaced pass every game.

Conway and Wells - undone by the managerial change which means we almost never saw them play as a pair, instead feeding off scraps and defenders’ mistakes. Both lucky that the “Bristol City penalty drought” finally ended as otherwise they would have even fewer goals!

Interesting that Vyner is being picked out for his distribution (83.9% pass success rate according to Footy Stats) when Dickie's pass success rate is only marginally better (84.6%).

Also interesting that the phrase "Hollywood pass" has come up. Personally I'm far more forgiving of a misplaced pass that tries to get us moving forward than losing possession fannying around with the ball under pressure across the back line. 

I liked them both FWIW. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

It is striking how bar Sykes all of these players are either defenders or more defensively minded midfielders & clearly shows where we all know we’re badly lacking as a squad.

Hopefully, the 2024 version of Mehmeti is the real him, he can progress from here & go on to become a consistently creative performer. 

• Like 1

Dickie. Been fantastic all season.

Sykes. Such an influential player & we really missed him when he was injured.

James. We simply play far better when he plays.

Pring. He is such a strong player on the left side.

Knight. What a signing he's turned out to be & now seems to be playing in a much more influential position.

5 hours ago, wheretheheartis said:

Making saves is all about him, as he's made many, making less saves is all about the people in front of him. He's had a great season. 

I say what I say. He's had a good season but the shots he's faced, whilst numerous, have on average been taken from relatively easy chances. He's faced shots that he's probably had a decent chance of saving. That's thanks to the screen in front of him.

He's a good keeper, I keep saying that, and he's had a very solid season, but he's not in our top 5 players imo.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

have on average been taken from relatively easy chances

A time when averages are not the best type of number to use as you miss the extremes of the bell-curve! 😉

Totally get the point about defence in front of him making some shots easier.

FWIW, here’s Max’s goals stuff.

image.png.3cfbd9d1208bd747f416d536c120b426.png

Percent Ranks for the bars (Champ GK peer group)

Squares are per90s

Circles are percentages

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

A time when averages are not the best type of number to use as you miss the extremes of the bell-curve! 😉

Max has his own thread, but I don't think a few saves at the high end of the bell curve are enough to move him from (in my opinion) 6th or 7th in the squad to the top 5.

He's had a good season.

He's a good keeper.

He's not in my top 5 for the season.

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Totally get the point about defence in front of him making some shots easier.

FWIW, here’s Max’s goals stuff.

image.png.3cfbd9d1208bd747f416d536c120b426.png

Percent Ranks for the bars (Champ GK peer group)

Squares are per90s

Circles are percentages

So much better then average, albeit with help from the defensive unit?

Whenever a cross comes in with DB in goal, I was concerned that we'd conceed. With MOL I've got one eye looking up the pitch to see what's on once he's caught the ball.

24 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Max has his own thread, but I don't think a few saves at the high end of the bell curve are enough to move him from (in my opinion) 6th or 7th in the squad to the top 5.

He's had a good season.

He's a good keeper.

He's not in my top 5 for the season.

Boooooo

• Flames 1

1 - Dickie - No brainer - Excellent signing

2 - Max - Developing into a very reliable keeper

3- Knight - Would have been Number 1 after a couple of months but has tailed off a bit - possibly too much football with international duty etc

4- James - Does all the basics well and was missed a lot when injured

5- Pring - Close between him Vyner and Sykes - All 3 lack consistency imo but have all had good games and worked hard for the team. 

Mehmeti would make top 5 if every game was live on sky 🙂

It’s been a funny season in this regard. Up to say January/February Knight is old have been there, but then he looked shattered and had reduced impact on games. Picking up now where he was earlier in the season.

Vyner has a few mentions but I can’t see past all his mistakes. Very much a liability at times. 

Despite the doubt I have around Manning, he has got Mehmeti playing some of his best football since he joined us. Maybe not enough for a top 5 spot.

I would go for…

1. Dickie

2. Max

3. Pring

4. Knight

5. Conway