IGNORED

Top five players of the season

Would be interested to hear, in order, people’s top five players of the season.  10 points for 1st, 5 points for 2nd, 3 points for 3rd, 2 points for 4th and 1 point for 5th.  Add them all up at the end and see where we are! Yes I’m bored! 

Mine:

1st Dickie. 2nd O’Leary. 3rd. Vyner. 4th Knight. 5th. James 

Hard to leave out Tanner.  I think Pring has had a good second half but poor first half. 

Edited by And Its Smith
  • Like 1

1. Dickie

2. James

3. Vyner

4. Tanner

5. Knight

Basically the defensive unit plus the screen in front of it.

O'Leary will be my notable exception for many. In my opinion he's done his job, which has been made easier by the unit in front of him. Those outfield players therefore get the credit. I'd have him 6th or 7th probably.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1

Before his injury Sykes would have been in my top 5. Looked off colour last night.

Anyway:

1. Dickie - rarely put a foot wrong. There's me thinking how good is a defender from a really bad QPR team going to impress?

2. O'Leary - he's improving all the time. Still think we need a good enough back up.

3. Knight - faded in the last few weeks, but coming back into form in the deeper role.

4. Vyner - not been as solid as last season but still mostly consistent and reliable.

5. Tanner - much improved. Not brilliant, but does the basics well. A traditional, no nonsense, blast from the past right back. 

May seem harsh not including Williams. Maybe he pushes Tanner for that final spot. 

The fact that there are no attacking players here is clearly very revealing. 

For me, the first two are very clear front runners and then there's a few I could consider after that:

1. Dickie 

2. O'Leary

3. Tanner has been consistent and performed over-expectations.

4. Vyner possibly deserves to be above Tanner but I don't know that he's excelled by his own standards to the same extent. 

5. Knight is a little bit less consistent but has definitely added something else.

Not much between those 3 and James, Williams, Sykes and Pring 

Dickie, Knight, Max, James, Tanner

It's perm 5 from 6 or 7. Williams unlucky to lose out.

Mehmeti is slowly converting me. If he continues to make good decisions, and improves his defensive side a bit, then he'll turn into good player at this level. Probably say his improvement is down to the new boss, as Nige had binned him off.

Dickie, Max, Knight, Tanner, Vyner. 

Difficult to not include James. Sykes too, but like other posters have said he’s faded since his injury. Hopefully back to his best next season. Roberts has impressed me, but hasn’t played enough games to be in contention. 

Scores on the doors:

1. Dickie 170 - voted in top 5 by 100% of voters

2. O’Leary 71 - 89%
3. Knight 48 - 89%
4. Vyner 37 - 83%
5. James 16 - 50%
6. Tanner 15 - 44%
7. Pring 6 - 22%
8. Williams 3 - 6%
9. Sykes 2 - 12%
10. Conway 1 - 6% 

No real surprise at the top 2!  

• Like 2

Tough one. 

1. Dickie

2. Vyner

3. Max

4. Tanner

5. Knight

Can see defence was our strength. Roberts and McCrorie have both impressed me too!

James unlucky not to make it, I’ve just gone with Knight but that may well be because his good work stands out so much more to the eye. Which isn’t Matty’s fault but there you go.

Rogue shout I considered was Anis. Increasingly seeing signs of the player we want.

Edited by BCFCGav

Surprised so many are putting Vyner in their top 5 - he is making so many mistakes especially recently, giving the ball away in our area (think Vardy and the Blackburn miss last night).

He certainly has good moments ie the goal saving tackle but he also makes a risky - uncontrolled - pass most games!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Surprised so many are putting Vyner in their top 5 - he is making so many mistakes especially recently, giving the ball away in our area (think Vardy and the Blackburn miss last night).

He certainly has good moments ie the goal saving tackle but he also makes a risky - uncontrolled - pass most games!

That’s happened in a couple of recent games. I think people are looking across a whole season 

You need 5?

From the minute the owner decided not to re-invest the Scott money - a decision no doubt taken well before he was actually sold - and from the minute the owner decided to not renew Nigel Pearson's contract - a decision no doubt taken long, long before he was actually sacked - this season has been a waste.

A waste of everyone's time, money and emotional energy.

A waste of the aforementioned that a lot of us, including the pensioner owner, can ill afford.

So can we just get on with it please.

Get on with not wasting everyone's time, money, energy.

Get on with having a season where it isn't just one player - Rob Dickie - deservedly hoovering up every single award going.

What a joke end of season awards are when all you've done is spend 9 months pissing players and fans off.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Flames 1