IGNORED

9 Years! 6 Goals! PROMOTION!!!

Curr Avon

Great side and brilliant result that day….why? Good recruitment, a midfield that created chances and scored goals, a manager who inspired the fans and dressing room and most important kept it simple, no square pegs in round holes, no clubs in the bags PR rubbish, no need for these modern head coaches who are over complicating an easy game if I’m honest! 

• Like 8
  • Flames 2

5 minutes ago, MelksRed said:

I'd love to have a player like Wilbraham now....forgot how integral a part he was to  us over that period. 

I remember him taking pain killing jabs to be able to play....played for the shirt.

Absolutely! I’ve said in the past I do not think there has ever been a player where their signing has caused so much discontent yet they went on to become a hero for this club.

Thank god that meeting of chance took place when both Wilbs and Cotts were both on holiday!

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Great side and brilliant result that day….why? Good recruitment, a midfield that created chances and scored goals, a manager who inspired the fans and dressing room and most important kept it simple, no square pegs in round holes, no clubs in the bags PR rubbish, no need for these modern head coaches who are over complicating an easy game if I’m honest! 

Spot on!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Absolutely! I’ve said in the past I do not think there has ever been a player where their signing has caused so much discontent yet they went on to become a hero for this club.

Thank god that meeting of chance took place when both Wilbs and Cotts were both on holiday!

very fond memories and such a talented bloke for a big man. i remember one game where every time joe bryan tried to run down the wing,he got taken out and bullied, wilbs swapped positions with him for ten minutes and dished out a bit of own back,legally, it was awesome then they swapped back and joe didnt get bothered again

Another example of a great manager, who crucially wasn't financially backed, and met their demise in an unfair fashion.

I often wonder where we might have been if he'd had the financial backing he was promised, and his 'straightforward' personality was accepted.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

My favourite season watching City out of many, thought we were going to have a really good season in our return to the Championship, but typical City we blew it! Looked like we had 2 good players signed up & the club pushed the self destruct button. Oh well at least we’re consistent in that! 😂😳

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Toffee dog said:

My favourite season watching City out of many, thought we were going to have a really good season in our return to the Championship, but typical City we blew it! Looked like we had 2 good players signed up & the club pushed the self destruct button. Oh well at least we’re consistent in that! 😂😳

What a night that was!

Agreed, best season of my City supporting life without question. To see us get promoted, win the title and get the JPT was just incredible. I believe I am correct in saying Cotts is the only manager in our history to win two trophies in a season too. 

A decent social media post by the club on it TBF, including the great man who so often seems airbrushed from Lansdown’s Bristol City. 

IMG_7188.png

Edited by One Team
  • Like 2

One of my favourite away games following City. Couldn’t believe we scored six to clinch promotion and followed it up with eight against Walsall.  Great team to watch and the only time I have seen City win a league title.

2 hours ago, GBF said:

and followed it up with eight against Walsall.  

That was an odd game 1-0, 1-1, 1-2 HT and then City came out to score seven without reply.

That was 2014-15. Fifty years earlier in 1964-65 City won promotion to Div 2 (as was) and stayed there until 75-76 before progressing. If we are in a fifty year cycle, City will finish mid table this season as in 1973-74,  higher next and could 2025-2026 be  it?

Drove up on my own , had some tea in a pub  (no beer cup of tea ) in the city centre sat on my own , got to ground at about 7 watched us warm up , watched 90 mins of quality football had to pinch myself this was Bristol city , celebrated for about 1/2 hour in the ground with fans and players , walked back to city centre where car was parked went past a pub and thought fxxk it I’m gonna have a celebratory drink so had 1 pint sat at the bar again on my own with a big grin on my face , drove straight back to work in Avonmouth for a 4am start , funnily for one of the best nights watching city it’s was probably the least I’ve ever had to drink , but what a night and what a great team and as another poster mention wilbraham an absolute legend , 

• Like 3

Went with my eldest. Without doubt the most enjoyable City away performance of my time. Been to some crackers - Chester 84 being up there - but to win 6-0 when we needed a win was the least City thing ever! Loved that team. Loved that season. Cotts was a great fit for us. Sad that it fell apart so quickly - and that it’s never really recovered. Still - ever hopeful!

• Like 1

It was the middle of the night/early morning for me in some northern industrial Chinese city. I bought some red champagne to pop open when we clinched it but for some reason I wasn’t expecting it to be that night, Bradford away was a tough game back then. So promotion bubbles, followed immediately by eight hours of work. Awesome.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, kmpowell said:

Another example of a great manager, who crucially wasn't financially backed, and met their demise in an unfair fashion.

I often wonder where we might have been if he'd had the financial backing he was promised, and his 'straightforward' personality was accepted.

Im sorry but this post just makes me so angry and volatile to those that run this club.

Tinman, Manning may not be what we want/need but the the buck stops at the top.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

Im sorry but this post just makes me so angry and volatile to those that run this club.

100% agree a great manager who was sacked not backed, they have still not learnt anything;

Even the latest choice...Manning, if the last window is anything to go by will not be backed this summer, to any degree.

We will continue to look for newbies who will be; sold at a profit to cover his bad decisions, or get injured or not play at all; we will show no belief or ambition, prefering to build/rebuild and go nowhere.

Many believe and are sold; the hope for the future/the next window/the next manager, the owner is only interested in maintaining the status quo and property developing and not getting us to the top div.

22 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

That squad was so well built. 

Formation and style established

Signings made early

Round pegs in round holes

Mix of youth and experience

Manager who seemed excited to be at work

Maximum of one liability player (in this instance JET)

Agree with this apart from JET being a liability. Laid back yes, but liability no. Added that moment of magic to the team and helped out the team  when we had a number of injuries .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

I know you were one of the 600 at Bradford that night and i wore my Cole not Gas T-shirt to the game and curry house after but I'm really surprised at your reaction above. The people in charge today have made tough decisions re sacking Cotts, keeping LJ when some fans wanted him out, sacking LJ, dealing with Covid-related issues (like zero income), appointing Pearson, getting rid and finding Liam. We are still higher than anything Cotts could get us to. Surely you appreciate SL asked Cotts what he wanted (5 players), backed him, backed him again to get Wilbs and gave us the best season ever in the 3rd tier?

Before clowns start assuming i work for the owner please consider where we have come from since losing at Colchester & Crewe and respond appropriately!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Cole Not Gas said:

I know you were one of the 600 at Bradford that night and i wore my Cole not Gas T-shirt to the game and curry house after but I'm really surprised at your reaction above. The people in charge today have made tough decisions re sacking Cotts, keeping LJ when some fans wanted him out, sacking LJ, dealing with Covid-related issues (like zero income), appointing Pearson, getting rid and finding Liam. We are still higher than anything Cotts could get us to. Surely you appreciate SL asked Cotts what he wanted (5 players), backed him, backed him again to get Wilbs and gave us the best season ever in the 3rd tier?

Before clowns start assuming i work for the owner please consider where we have come from since losing at Colchester & Crewe and respond appropriately!

Morning Jon

I loved that season - apart from losing to Swindon - that was horrendous - but it was a great season apart from that - and I’ll always love Cotts and the squad for delivering it. 
Without detracting from it - as I said, I loved it - it was League 1. We have discovered that the Championship is a big step up - and Cotts did to his cost. 
Some say Cotts wasn’t backed. I say he was, but made unrealistic bids; Gayle, Gray, Maguire were all bids that were accepted but failed - either because the players didn’t want to come to us (Gray and Gayle) or the then COO (before Ashton) tried to renegotiate the deal with Hull at a lower price. You don’t make official bids if you are not backed financially. 
His Championship game plan was to play 3-5-2 and to deploy subs at the 80th minute when chasing the game. Disastrous. 
As soon as Cotts ‘left’ we steadied the ship under Pemberton. We switched to 4-4-2 and the recovery started. 
I’ll always be grateful to Cotts for getting us promoted with a wonderful double-winning season, but IMHO it was right he left when he did. 
Not that we’ve done much better since mind, but we’ve not been in the relegation zone for a while!!!

• Facepalm 1